Your Fighting Tip

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mz1

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Can't see how trying to strike the arm of your attacker is a good technique. Arms are fast moving and should retract as soon as they snap the punch out.

Why not just punch them in the face?

I'm a counterfighter, and like to counter straight punches by slipping and countering with the same strike as theirs. Otherwise, I jab a lot with footwork. Once a good jab connects, I follow up with elbows and knees, especially if I get the clinch.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Can't see how trying to strike the arm of your attacker is a good technique. Arms are fast moving and should retract as soon as they snap the punch out.

I'm a counterfighter, and like to counter straight punches by slipping and countering with the same strike as theirs. Otherwise, I jab a lot with footwork. Once a good jab connects, I follow up with elbows and knees, especially if I get the clinch.
Sound to me like you have never been punched in the back of you arm, just above the elbow. :)

Mz1

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Sound to me like you have never been punched in the back of you arm, just above the elbow. :)

I'm sure it hurts, but if you tried to punch me there as I'm trying to knock you out, chances are...I'm going to knock you out. That's the point, it's crazy trying to hit someone's arm while they're trying to punch you in the face.

oaktree

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The punch to the arm is after you are off the line of attack.
Meaning after you slipped the punch, an uppercut to
The back of the elbow can cause a lot of damage and numb the arm.
Also punching the radial and ulna areas or around there can
Be painful and numb the arm. These attacks in one way or
Another are found in different arts and carried out
Using different methods.

Jaeimseu

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Punching a fast moving target like the arm sounds unreliable at best. I'm assuming you mean punching the extended arm of the attacker. I'm sure it looks and sounds cool in a drill, but I have my doubts about pulling it off consistently against a real attacker.

oaktree

Master of Arts
Reaction score
You don't have to use it. I know how to utilize it.
A lot of systems teach hitting there, you find it
Unrealistic, I find it realistic that people have done it.

Jaeimseu

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
People have done lots of things that I wouldn't recommend. People have jumped from airplanes and survived when their chute failed. People have been struck by lightning.

If you are confident that you can accurately land the technique an acceptable percentage of the time, more power to you. I simply think there are better, more reliable targets to hit.

KydeX

Orange Belt
Reaction score
In my style, we also use striking the arm as a defensive technique. It doesn't mean that this is the only method,it's just an extra method. We also counterpunch in the face if it is necessary and the opportunity is there.

I say different situations calls for different measures.

In my style we don't focus on specific techniques, although we have lots of them. We focus on seeing the openings or opportunities that arises during the fight. A punch to the arm could be to make an opening for another technique, like an elbow lock for instance. Or whatever else suits the current situation.

No specific technique will work in any situation. That's why you need to train on different scenarios until your subconscience is performing the techniques automatically.

I repeat: there is no set defense for a set situation. There are many.

Kframe

Black Belt
Reaction score
Oaktree, when i slip a punch, or any of my WB/mma friends do i, we rarely move enough to the side to actualy facilitate a strike there. We are tuaght to use as little movement as possible to effect the slip. Some WB/mma use only a motion of the head, while i and others use the motion of the hips and shoulders to slip. Rarely do i slip that far out. In all the hard sparring i have done, i have never ever seen anyone slip like that, or have had the opportunity for a nerve strike or any other strike on the arm.

Im not saying it cant work, and that it should not be trained, its just the practitioner needs to realize its a low percentage manuver that they should save for those RARE instances it will be needed.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
IMO, sparring a lot is the best fighting tip. Spar from light to hard. Hard being, going for full knock downs and look for the knockout. Only 2-6 hard rounds per week with headgear on should be fine. Fight in competitions. More hard sparring while prepping for competitions. Cardio, work techniques then spar.
2-6 hard rounds a week? knocking each other out up to 6 times a week? Are you expecting to live past 30 without sever brain damage? Also, not sure if this is true in mma, but my kickboxing friends NEVER do 'hard sparring' right before a competition...why risk hurting yourself when you're about to have a serious fight?

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oaktree, when i slip a punch, or any of my WB/mma friends do i, we rarely move enough to the side to actualy facilitate a strike there. We are tuaght to use as little movement as possible to effect the slip. Some WB/mma use only a motion of the head, while i and others use the motion of the hips and shoulders to slip. Rarely do i slip that far out. In all the hard sparring i have done, i have never ever seen anyone slip like that, or have had the opportunity for a nerve strike or any other strike on the arm.

Im not saying it cant work, and that it should not be trained, its just the practitioner needs to realize its a low percentage manuver that they should save for those RARE instances it will be needed.

Something to think about... How are your tactics shaped by the rule set and sporting environment? Would they change with wider range of targets, for example, from boxing? No gloves at all? A different fighting surface, like uneven ground? You might look around; someone (lklawson, I think) posted a link to an excellent article tracing the change in boxing stance as the rules changed...

oaktree

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Hi kframe your slips differ then mine then.
When I slip, I am angling off the line.
My goal as a baguazhang person is to get around you
And use angles and not direct attack on the line.
You find the strike to the Arm low percentage I find
It as another tool in my tool box.I am glad to know I have the options
To use it and knowing how to as well.
No right or wrong really differs in styles and experience.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Something to think about... How are your tactics shaped by the rule set and sporting environment? Would they change with wider range of targets, for example, from boxing? No gloves at all? A different fighting surface, like uneven ground? You might look around; someone (lklawson, I think) posted a link to an excellent article tracing the change in boxing stance as the rules changed...
Is this the article you were referring to? http://cbd.atspace.com/articles/stance/boxingstance.html
from the thread http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/sh...-of-Boxing-Stances-Through-History?highlight=?
if so, very interesting, really shows the difference between different styles, even if its technically called the same style, just in a different situation.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm sure it hurts, but if you tried to punch me there as I'm trying to knock you out, chances are...I'm going to knock you out. That's the point, it's crazy trying to hit someone's arm while they're trying to punch you in the face.

If I'm going to hit the outside or your attacking arm, I will have moved off line to do so, you will not be able to strike me with the other arm. If I am going to hit the inside of your attacking arm, then you are correct that I must account for your other arm; a cross movement of arms, up and out to the attacking arm, down and out or again, up and out, should prevent your free arm/fist from touching me.

I can't speak for other arts, but in Hapkido, you must be accurate and fast for many techniques that would otherwise put you in greater danger.

About 3 inches above the elbow, nerves that can also be used to force an opponent to the ground with a bar. But they can be struck with the fist, sudo, or knife hand.

Punching a fast moving target like the arm sounds unreliable at best. I'm assuming you mean punching the extended arm of the attacker. I'm sure it looks and sounds cool in a drill, but I have my doubts about pulling it off consistently against a real attacker.

As I said above, speed and accuracy are needed. But you are correct that you cannot do it; because you have never practiced that block, therefore buying in to its having its uses. Of course, you should not assume that every punch will be countered with that technique.

I see your location listed as Seoul. You might wish to seek out a Hapkido dojang, tell them why you are there, and ask them to demonstrate that technique against you. Tell us how it works out.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
And if they grab you with one hand and initiate going to hit you with the other, what kind of footwork are you going to use?
thats when you use someone elses tip ;) and when you memorize all the tips on this forum, you'll magically become the perfect fighter

Jaeimseu

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
If I'm going to hit the outside or your attacking arm, I will have moved off line to do so, you will not be able to strike me with the other arm. If I am going to hit the inside of your attacking arm, then you are correct that I must account for your other arm; a cross movement of arms, up and out to the attacking arm, down and out or again, up and out, should prevent your free arm/fist from touching me.

I can't speak for other arts, but in Hapkido, you must be accurate and fast for many techniques that would otherwise put you in greater danger.

About 3 inches above the elbow, nerves that can also be used to force an opponent to the ground with a bar. But they can be struck with the fist, sudo, or knife hand.

As I said above, speed and accuracy are needed. But you are correct that you cannot do it; because you have never practiced that block, therefore buying in to its having its uses. Of course, you should not assume that every punch will be countered with that technique.

I see your location listed as Seoul. You might wish to seek out a Hapkido dojang, tell them why you are there, and ask them to demonstrate that technique against you. Tell us how it works out.

Yes, I'm sure that I'm going to walk into a dojang and challenge them to make something work against me.

Look, I merely expressed my opinion that I don't think that punching a small spot on a moving target is a high percentage technique. The same thing could be said for a lot of kicking techniques in Taekwondo. I know some guys that could probably land a 720 jump spinning hook kick against a real person, but I think I'll stick with something else.

I don't doubt that there are people who can make almost any technique work. And I wasn't assuming that that technique was the only technique used to counter a punch. I've learned lots of techniques, including hapkido style techniques that were fun to practice, but aren't something I would necessarily rely on. Certainly, that is partly due to my own lack of focus on those techniques. Again, I was just saying what I thought. Different strokes...

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes, I'm sure that I'm going to walk into a dojang and challenge them to make something work against me.

Look, I merely expressed my opinion that I don't think that punching a small spot on a moving target is a high percentage technique. The same thing could be said for a lot of kicking techniques in Taekwondo. I know some guys that could probably land a 720 jump spinning hook kick against a real person, but I think I'll stick with something else.

I don't doubt that there are people who can make almost any technique work. And I wasn't assuming that that technique was the only technique used to counter a punch. I've learned lots of techniques, including hapkido style techniques that were fun to practice, but aren't something I would necessarily rely on. Certainly, that is partly due to my own lack of focus on those techniques. Again, I was just saying what I thought. Different strokes...
I think you are just being stubborn here. Think of the shot to the back of the arm as a check. If you are standing left foot forward and your opponent throws a big right, yes you are set up for a back-knuckle followed by a big left to the guys face, but the right hand could still be a threat, or be holding a weapon; so, its not unheard of to target the arm with your right, and his face with your left. That's all I'm sayin' :)

KydeX

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Read my reply further back. Also, I agree that the arm is a fast moving target. However, the lower part of the arm is the part that actually moves really fast. The upper arm is far from the same speed and easier to hit.

And again: I would only go for that approach if the opportuniy presented itself. Otherwise I would use whatever other technique that was most appropriate for the situation at hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions