basic tkd forms names & videos

Aldar5

White Belt
Reaction score
I'm looking for the names and maybe some videos of some basic forms. I just started TKD and they only do these forms every 2-5 classes, not frequently enough for me to remember, therefore I always feel silly when I can't follow along. These are not the normal taekuk or pyong-an forms, unfortunately I don't remember what they call them. Maybe if I describe some of the first moves some one can tell me their names and I can find some videos to study.

First form starts in horse stance and goes left low block then right low block, then left side block then right side block, then left high block then right high block. Then left knife chop then right knife chop, then front palm up thrust then right palm up thrust. Don't know rest.

Second form starts in fighting stance and begins with front punch then pull it back to same position, then side chop and pull back, then spin around reverse knife chop then pull it back, then I think front stretch kicks, then I don't remember anymore.

Ring any bells with anyone? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited:

rlobrecht

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Its not the Chang Hon patterns (used by ITF schools, and other non-Kukkiwon schools.)

Rick

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
No clue. I practice the Taegeuk, Palgwe and Chang Hon poomsae, and it's none of those.
The Pyong-Am forms are Tang Soo Do, not TKD.
I've never heard of a form that starts from a fighting stance; they all start from one of the various ready stances.

Here's a crazy idea...
Ask your instructor. At the very least, you ought to be able to remember the NAME, long enough to do some research or ask questions.

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Don't sweat the forms. Martial Arts are a life experience. You'll get them when you get them and that will be okay. Tae Kwon!

Mark Lynn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm looking for the names and maybe some videos of some basic forms. I just started TKD and they only do these forms every 2-5 classes, not frequently enough for me to remember, therefore I always feel silly when I can't follow along. These are not the normal taekuk or pyong-an forms, unfortunately I don't remember what they call them. Maybe if I describe some of the first moves some one can tell me their names and I can find some videos to study.

First form starts in horse stance and goes left low block then right low block, then left side block then right side block, then left high block then right high block. Then left knife chop then right knife chop, then front palm up thrust then right palm up thrust. Don't know rest.

Second form starts in fighting stance and begins with front punch then pull it back to same position, then side chop and pull back, then spin around reverse knife chop then pull it back, then I think front stretch kicks, then I don't remember anymore.

Ring any bells with anyone? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Aldar 5

It looks like from reading your description that these aren't forms per say but rather drills that are strung together, Like your first description seems to describe a blocking drill and a punching drill in horse stance.

Your 2nd description seems to describe a sparring drill.

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Yeah, I agree with Boar Man. The first one totally sounds like a drill to practice blocks and strikes. The teacher probably just has a few specific drills he/she likes to use, and figures the students will pick it up as they go along.

Latest Discussions