• Jean-Claude Van Damme

• Bolo Yeung

• Someone Else - Please post a reply

Results are only viewable after voting.
OP
E

Elfan

Originally posted by 7starmantis

I would be interested to see where you received your info about this. I haven't heard of either with Jackie Chan. Do you have a link or anything I could read up on about them? I've read Jackies book, but it didn't mention them either.

Do you have any other info on his auto-biography. I liked the book a lot but based on his movies his english isn't neaerly that good.

Favroite to watch on TV and such: Jackie Chan

In general: Mr. Parker

KumaSan

Blue Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Shinzu

bruce lee has always been my favorite. with all the martial artists around, i feel he is still the most talented and true artist to date. chuck norris would be my second choice.
I agree with Shinzu. Withou BL, Martial Arts movies today would be a collection of jackie
chan outtakes, and that's not what we need. I think we need a spy race to save us and s hope to goodness, someone sees.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Holy Crap: Nihon no Kakutogi Rule. Someone give me supreme rule over everything.

OP
M

MartialArtist

I'm going with Kitabatke. Current era? I say one of the Yips.

OP
H

Humble artist

Morihei Ueshiba.
I wonder how he was mentioned only once...not only in aikido manner but also just as a martial artist and martial spirit of his.
He did amazing things and was quite mysterious in a way...

When it comes to flick stars,I think I´d have to go with Sammo Hung,Jackie probably being the second.

They are both amazing,their style is both funny and impressive.
Both have influence from various arts around Asia,kung-fu being what they are known for and hapkido effecting them both.
Cool.

:asian:

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, here come the flames, but I have to say my all time favorite was Brandon Lee.

7sm

OP
M

MartialArtist

I believe that there are many more skilled martial artists who are faster, more experienced, more aware, and wiser than Lee, they are just secluded.

OP
E

Elfan

Originally posted by MartialArtist

I believe that there are many more skilled martial artists who are faster, more experienced, more aware, and wiser than Lee, they are just secluded.

"For every person declared "champion" there are at least 2 unkowns who are better" - Ed Parker

OP
F

fanged_seamus

Sticking with the concept of a personal martial artist, I'd say Chuck Norris is a role model for what a skilled martial artist can be for a community.

I also have a soft spot for Ed Parker, since it's his art that got me interested in the martial arts.

But if we broaden our definition of martial artist --

What about people like Sun Tzu (who wrote "The Art of War"), Shaka Zulu (who trained one of the fiercest armies ever), Scipio (who figured out how to defeat Hannibal's war elephants), Alexander the Great, Temujin/Genghis Khan, etc.? These guys, many at a young age, understood war and fighting better than anyone else in their generation. Many of them were skilled in personal combat as well as leading armies....

That may be off subject a bit, but sometimes I like to be reminded where the "martial" in "martial arts" comes from....

Tad Finnegan

KennethKu

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Sun Tzu was wheel chair bound. He was a military strategist, not a fighter.

OP
F

fanged_seamus

My point:

You don't have to be a fighter to be a martial artist, do you? In the broadest sense, martial arts is the study of fighting and warfare -- I'd think a military strategist qualifies, even if he were blind, deaf, mute, and quadripeligic. It doesn't always have to be about punching and kicking, does it?

I'm just trying to "bend the rules" a little to make a point.

Tad

PS: Thanks for the info on Sun Tzu; I had no idea he was wheelchair-bound.

OP
M

MartialArtist

The Mongols were the most adept at warfare at that time. Fast, quick, mobile, deceitful, surprising, unpredictible...

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Marty Manuel:

He also recognized Marty Manuel, a New Jersey karate instructor who, stricken by a congenital spinal disease, still conducts classes from a wheelchair. Marty Manual was one of America’s most prominent fighters for years. He is still passing his ability and, most importantly, his discipline and humble demeanor, on to his inspired students.

(This is from here.) He's still quite active, teaching karate and arnis.

OP
M

Master of Blades

My favorite Martial Artists are as follows,

1: Dan Inosanto
2: Bob Breen
3: Jet Li
4: Jackie Chan
5: My dad :D

But thats all besides myself of course.......:rolleyes:

D.Cobb

2nd Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Master of Blades
My favorite Martial Artists are as follows,

1: Dan Inosanto
2: Bob Breen
3: Jet Li
4: Jackie Chan
5: My dad :D

But thats all besides myself of course.......:rolleyes:

Yah! We all knew you'd be on that list, somewhere near the top...:rofl: :rofl:

:p

ace

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The Best There is waz & Ever will Be
Woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
:D

OP
M

Master of Blades

Originally posted by D.Cobb
Yah! We all knew you'd be on that list, somewhere near the top...:rofl: :rofl:

:p

Dont hate.......I worked hard to type that Master at the beginning of my name......:rolleyes:

OP
P

Pyros

Originally posted by deadhand31
I would have to say Chuck Norris in this case, and not simply for his martial arts ability. He's done alot for the country, such as starting programs like Kick Drugs out of America.

I vote for Norris too. Both, because of his martial arts ability, and what he's done for the world.

KenpoDave

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
was the most amazing martial artist I have ever seen. I saw him do a seminar in 1999 at Kenpo's Gathering of Eagles. He was 89 and died about 3 months later from, I believe, pancreatic cancer. Needless to say, at the seminar, he was in poor shape, yet his moves were magical. He occasionally seemed to mentally "lose his place," but his technique was flawless, and I had the opportunity to screw up near him once and have him perform a technique on me.

I imagine my image of him is like what people thought of Ueshiba.

Latest Discussions