• Bruce Lee

• Jean-Claude Van Damme

• Bolo Yeung

• Someone Else - Please post a reply

Results are only viewable after voting.

donald

Black Belt
Reaction score
I have to cast my vote for Mr.Norris... I used to like most of his movies, but for me its about the man. At least what I know of him as a man. He is a martial artist of tremendous skill, and fortitude. For example, when most everyone said give up man you can't act. He stuck it out, and got better as an actor. He also gave a helping hand to other aspiring m.a./actors. Instead of fearing for his spot, and trying to turn his back, he helped. He also is, and has been one of the original cross trainers, as far as stylistic differences etc.. I can't say I've agreed with all he seemed to ascribe to, but all in all I believe his heart is in the right place. For that he gets my vote!!!:asian:

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've always liked Chuck's humility and honesty. Once, when asked on his impressions on Carradine's martial arts ability, Norris replied "He's as good a martial artist as I am an actor". Gotta love it.

Cthulhu

Yari

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I had to answer another. Not because the people listed are bad MA, but my MA is defined by whom I've had as a teacher, and had the oppurtunaty to practice under.

These are a few that stand out, but by no means the only.

Mouliko (Aikido)
Nishio Sensei
Kubiyashi Sensei
Ole Grejs (Karate)
Karl Gotliebsen
Toby (Knifeman - www.knifeman.dk)

/yari

OP
D

Drunken Master

I have to say that for me I find Jackie Chan the most entertaining.

OP
T

TLH3rdDan

im going with chuck norris, master pan ging fu and master chan pui

Turner

Blue Belt
Reaction score
My choice would have to be Remy Presas because he is the only well known martial artist I have actually met. He did a seminar for my Goju-ryu instructor who happened to be a student of his. It was kinda embarassing because my instructor bragged to him that I had walked 10 miles just to attend each class and then walked the same distance home because I didn't have a ride and was too ashamed of where I lived to allow someone to give me a lift.
It was the coolest thing to watch Mr. Presas 'empty his pockets' for class. It was an endless stream of weapons. It seemed like it took an hour for him to remove them all.
Since there were only 10 people in attendance I was lucky enough to be his victim and I found him to be a good human being who didn't seem to mind that he was stuck working with a 16 year old white belt.

OP
W

white dragon

OK I'm going to have to be cheesy and go with Master Mike Winship, my instructor. He's taught me so much on a physcial, mental and spirital level, he's everything I thought a martial artist should be and hope that one day I can influence someone as positively as he has me.

Anyway, I'm not a giant Norriss fan, as a film star. However, I'm always impressed when I see him on the screen, but as a martial artist I can't help but give him respect, and for the social work he's done.

I've always picked Jackie Chan over Bruce Lee, mainly because I was semi force-feed his films by my brother as a child ;) His control over his body and use of everyday props amaze me even now.

But Hwang Jang Lee is the martial artist that I draw most inspiration from. The Art of High Impact Kicking is an amazing video that goes into details of kicking techniques and also shows different applications for these techniques. Well worth checking out. John Liu, although little known is also someone I enjoy seeing. Although his films aren't that great his true life determination to better himself is.

OP
I

islandtime

Originally posted by brianbarton

I realise this questions has probably been asked some time in the past, however, I would love to know peoples thoughts.

Who is your favourite martial artist, and why if you want to say?

Brian
.................................................................................
''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
Deceased: Bruce Lee.....
Living :Mark Dacascos

Gene Gabel

OP
W

white dragon

Damn, forgot to say Mark Dacascos!!! Watching him in Drive is amazing, he show great ability all round.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My first would be my instructor: Mr. George Chartier
After him I would say the late Grandmaster Daniel K. Pai
Then Morihei Ushiba, Mas Oyama, Moses Powell, Ronald Duncun(sp),
For those in film Steven Seagal
Someone I feel added greatlyto the arts in this country (personal feelings aside) Peter Urban

Shadow

OP
K

Kirk

He also gave a helping hand to other aspiring m.a./actors. Instead of fearing for his spot, and trying to turn his back, he helped.

I agree with that. Didn't it seem that a lot of m.a. flicks that came
out immediately following Enter The Dragon had VERY well
known m.a.ists in it? I wonder what happened to the
brotherhood among m.a. actors? I'd love to see Seagal vs. Van
Damme in their films. Both would play excellent villians against
Jet Li, or Jackie Chan. There's so many out there, why the heck
can't they get together for the better good of m.a films? I'd bet
anything it's all about egos.

OP
K

kickyou

Hey why no females in those choices.

My favorite is Cynthia Rothrock she flat out kicks butt.

:cool: :asian:

OP
I

islandtime

Originally posted by kickyou

Hey why no females in those choices.

My favorite is Cynthia Rothrock she flat out kicks butt.

:cool: :asian:

......................................................................................
O.K. I'll add some to the mix
Mailia Dacascos and Karen Turner when they were in their prime

Gene

OP
N

nathan_sau

Id have to say i was always in awe of Jet Li, would absolutly love to meet him in person and pick his brain for a couple of hours.

Respectfully
Nathan_sau

OP
S

Stickboxer

Being the new guy here, I'm afraid my favorites may offend some, so I'm hesitant to say it.

I never really cared for Bruce Lee, despite being an avid follower of his art/philosophy (depending on which side of the fence you're on in OJKD-vs.-JKDC). I think he was an egotistical bully.

His son, Brandon Lee, had the fortitude to pave his own path, one that occasionally separated from martial training. He did his own thing, did it well, pursued excellence, and did it all while placing a secondary importance on kicking pads and swinging his arms. Still, he came back and eventually embraced the arts as a way of life, all the while never disregarding the value of the arts or the importance of his father's contributions. Perhaps because he saw life as something more than merely training, or perhaps because he came back and embraced the arts later, I viewed Brandon as one of the greatest artists "to be."

For years I was surrounded by die-hard JKD practictioners, people who often bit on the name 'Karate' like it were a dirty four-letter word, people who made cracks like "Chuck Norris couldn't punch his way out of a paper bag." Still, I came to appreciate Norris's style as being more than the tradition-laden garbage my fellow practitioners considered it. Likewise, I've come to view Norris as, what many have already said, humble, considerate, and driven to distinction.

That said, I won't list Inosanto on the list because, in my opinion, he really surpasses this ranking of mere mortals.

Dan's the man!

D.Cobb

2nd Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Stickboxer

Being the new guy here, I'm afraid my favorites may offend some, so I'm hesitant to say it.

I never really cared for Bruce Lee, despite being an avid follower of his art/philosophy (depending on which side of the fence you're on in OJKD-vs.-JKDC). I think he was an egotistical bully.

His son, Brandon Lee, had the fortitude to pave his own path, one that occasionally separated from martial training. He did his own thing, did it well, pursued excellence, and did it all while placing a secondary importance on kicking pads and swinging his arms. Still, he came back and eventually embraced the arts as a way of life, all the while never disregarding the value of the arts or the importance of his father's contributions. Perhaps because he saw life as something more than merely training, or perhaps because he came back and embraced the arts later, I viewed Brandon as one of the greatest artists "to be."

For years I was surrounded by die-hard JKD practictioners, people who often bit on the name 'Karate' like it were a dirty four-letter word, people who made cracks like "Chuck Norris couldn't punch his way out of a paper bag." Still, I came to appreciate Norris's style as being more than the tradition-laden garbage my fellow practitioners considered it. Likewise, I've come to view Norris as, what many have already said, humble, considerate, and driven to distinction.

That said, I won't list Inosanto on the list because, in my opinion, he really surpasses this ranking of mere mortals.

Dan's the man!

Come on Stickboxer, don't be shy and hold back, why don't you tell us who you really like?

--Dave:rofl:

OP
D

daniel_r

Chuck Norris for me..... mainly because he dominated so well for so many years yet doesnt seem to have any attitude with it and was willing to learn and take advice from others such as Bruce Lee etc

OP
S

Stickboxer

Why are Norris and Inosanto, two men of vastly different backgrounds and approaches, so awesome?

In their 50's, they decided to begin a pursuit of grappling. I believe both have been willing to humble themselves to start training with the Machado Brothers, a family of JiuJitsu artists.

In my 30's, I can't imagine someone older than me taking up such a style! Applause all around!

OP
D

daniel_r

I totally agree with you i think its great.. just shows what dedication they have to the arts and how much they love them to be willing to learn at that age

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Stickboxer

Why are Norris and Inosanto, two men of vastly different backgrounds and approaches, so awesome?

In their 50's, they decided to begin a pursuit of grappling. I believe both have been willing to humble themselves to start training with the Machado Brothers, a family of JiuJitsu artists.

In my 30's, I can't imagine someone older than me taking up such a style! Applause all around!

I don't know about Norris, but I believe Inosanto earned his BJJ black belt in '99.

Cthulhu

Latest Discussions