why are people so....

Sandstorm

Green Belt
Reaction score
I tend to agree with Brian on this. It does seem that the class of associate/friend/whatever is not the class you want to be around. They will eventually bring you down and you seem like a smart enough guy to not want that to happen.
I have only ever had that kind of thing when I was at school, must have been about 12/13 years old and had only just started training in Tae Kwon Do and Judo. I had all the pyjama jokes and the rolling on the floor with boys jokes and I did have to stand up for myself once due to having punches swing at me. But never, in my adult life, or even since those earlier days that I can recall, have I encountered such juvenile and shallow comments. Yes, you get the odd Bruce Lee impression on the Door when you've refused a punter entry due to intoxication (for some reason, they already assume I am an MAist), but that's all, and I certainly don't have friends or even aquaintances who mock it, if anything it's respected. Just as I would respect their choice of sport/hobby etc.

Hope this helps and don't let it get you down. Keep strong and focused on where YOU are and want to go.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Shiatsu is made of two words Shi=finger atsu=pressure more in the lines of pressure point. So if you have knowledge of the pressure points you could in theory use it as a martial art. But IMO I think the context would be a different name.
Okay. I think I understand it... not sure I agree with it, but I think I understand. :D I wouldn't call medical school a martial art, even though they learn how to wield a scalpal with.. ahem.. surgical precision. ;)

Thanks for the clarification.

Aiki Lee

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I think a lot of people look at martial artists and see us doing the following:

1. Wearing japanese clothing (or chinese or korean blah blah blah)
2. Bowing
3. Using "funny" foriegn words
4. Hitting each other
5. "dancing" with weapons

I'm under the impression that some people view martial artists as if they were cultists or a bizzare club of weirdos. Also the general public knows of martial arts mainly through the movies so it is separated into 3 categories based on what they see.

1. Kid's stuff: (karate kid, 3 ninjas, teenage mutant ninja turtles, power rangers, ect)

2. Ineffective showy nonsense (Hero, crouching tiger hidden dragon, house of flying daggars, ect)

3. Brutal and violent (Ong Bak, Bourne series, Dark Knight, ect)

On some occassions when people discover I am a MAist they will take the karate kid crane posture in a mocking tone or perform a horrendously bad dance ment to mock lengthy kata training. They ask me with a snide stupid look on their face, "is that what you think fighting is?"

Such idiotic remarks stun me and leave me in a state wear I don't know what to say except "no, you stupid, stupid person."
As aggravating as these people are, at least you can walk away with the knowledge that you could destroy these people if you so wish. That is enough for me to be able to walk away similing and leave them with a confused look on their faces.

Nomad

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
On some occassions when people discover I am a MAist they will take the karate kid crane posture in a mocking tone or perform a horrendously bad dance ment to mock lengthy kata training. They ask me with a snide stupid look on their face, "is that what you think fighting is?"

Isn't that the point where you hit/kick/take them down and say "Nope, this is". It'd be very tempting, at the least.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The one that gets me:
"Why do you want to learn to beat people up?"
My standard answer: "Because of people like you." isn't the most diplomatic...

sparky12

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hey, I understand. I've been doing Kung Fu for twenty years and one idiot I know always introduces me as the guy that does Tai Bo. I get even though. He does competetive running and now I introduce him as a jogger. Really makes him mad!

Ironcrane

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The responses I have gotten have been mixed. Some people are cool with it, and others have a problem. I never understood it.

Uchinanchu

Green Belt
Reaction score
Only KIDS train in karate?!! Tell that to the U.S. Marine Corps! Their Marine Martial Arts Program (which is based primarily on traditional karate training) is a requirement for ALL marines.
Just ignore such fools and keep on with what you are doing!

OP
KempoGuy06

KempoGuy06

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Only KIDS train in karate?!! Tell that to the U.S. Marine Corps! Their Marine Martial Arts Program (which is based primarily on traditional karate training) is a requirement for ALL marines.
Just ignore such fools and keep on with what you are doing!
I was mocked by a marine. he said something to the affect that losers and weirdos train in the MA's. I was like "first of all I have nothing but pure respect for you and what you do. Second I know the Marines have a MA system they teach to all of you so...." He was left sputtering as I walked away. Offering them a complement in light of the fact they are dogging on you seems to work for anyone

B

p.s.-I should make it known that this guy never liked me anyway, we went to high school together

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Some people are cool with it, and others have a problem. I never understood it.

They are idiotic responses from the same folks that have spent most of their youth, time and energy on a softball, football or soccer fields...Yet if we mocked their chosen lifestyle they would question our manhoods..

myusername

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I remember getting a little teasing at work once when I stupidly mentioned "the mount position" when talking of my jujutsu class! But it was all in good humour and we had a good laugh about it.

Really I think it is just best to see the funny side yourself really. Acknowledge it and have a giggle safe in the knowledge that you know it is a whole lot more than you are letting on. It is important to be able to laugh at yourself.

A lot of altercations and conflicts come about because people can't drop their ego and therefore take things too personally. The people giving you a hard time are idiots, they are probably lacking something in their lives, are insecure in themselves and have low self esteem which they are just trying to bolster by making themselves out to be better than yourself. It is them displacing their personal unhappiness and frustration on to you. As long as it is just verbal and you are in no physical threat don't take it personal, laugh it off, move on and don't give them the time of day.

There is a really good book from Geoff Thompson (an excellent reality martial artist from the UK) called "The Art of Fighting without Fighting" that talks about the dangers of ego and taking things too personal. It also has some great stuff on the rituals of violence and really good chapters on verbal dissuasion and posturing. Well worth a read.

You can actually get it free as an e-book by joining his mailing list. I really recommend it for you. :)

http://www.geoffthompson.com/newsletter/Joinnewsletter.asp

morph4me

Goin' with the flow
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I just take comfort in the fact that I do MA for myself, so it doesn't affect me one way or the other if people like it or don't. I also have no problem being rude to people who are being rude to me. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and as long as it stays in he realm of opinion, then they can say whatever they want.

OP
KempoGuy06

KempoGuy06

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I just take comfort in the fact that I do MA for myself, so it doesn't affect me one way or the other if people like it or don't. I also have no problem being rude to people who are being rude to me. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and as long as it stays in he realm of opinion, then they can say whatever they want.
I feel the exact same way Morph. Make fun of me or be rude to me and I will do the same back to you.

B

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
They are idiotic responses from the same folks that have spent most of their youth, time and energy on a softball, football or soccer fields...Yet if we mocked their chosen lifestyle they would question our manhoods..
Well, softball or football... but soccer? How could you NOT mock THAT lifestyle? Seriously. Soccer isn't even a sport. You don't even need hand/eye coordination to play.

It occurred to me in reading a couple of these posts that there's a big difference between friendly ribbing and otherwise. I tease a friend for playing tennis sometimes and he gives me a hard time for studying "Bavarian" Jiu-Jitsu. There are times when guys in particular will rib each other and no malice is intended.

OP
KempoGuy06

KempoGuy06

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well, softball or football... but soccer? How could you NOT mock THAT lifestyle? Seriously. Soccer isn't even a sport. You don't even need hand/eye coordination to play.

It occurred to me in reading a couple of these posts that there's a big difference between friendly ribbing and otherwise. I tease a friend for playing tennis sometimes and he gives me a hard time for studying "Bavarian" Jiu-Jitsu. There are times when guys in particular will rib each other and no malice is intended.

Side note:

Actually soccer is a very demanding sport. I played for 12 years so I can back up my statement. While hand/eye coordination may not be need EXTREME foot/eye coordination is needed, along with agility, speed, endurance. Soccer is very demanding on the body and the mind. Its one of the few sports you are constantly moving unlike football and baseball.

B

emiliozapata

Green Belt
Reaction score
Basically, people mock and ridicule that which scares them.That is very evident on this board as well.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Side note:

Actually soccer is a very demanding sport. I played for 12 years so I can back up my statement. While hand/eye coordination may not be need EXTREME foot/eye coordination is needed, along with agility, speed, endurance. Soccer is very demanding on the body and the mind. Its one of the few sports you are constantly moving unlike football and baseball.

B
Soccer is for kids who are too uncoordinated to play a real sport, but who have parents that want them to get some sun. ;)

KempoGuy06, I'm kidding. Knowing how many people post here from overseas, I thought it would be a good example of friendly teasing. I have nothing against soccer other than that I'm no good at it. :D

Another thing occurs to me, though. Sometimes people mock and ridicule out of fear. Sometimes out of good natured fraternity. But sometimes... sometimes, people mock something that warrants it. If you are continuously moving through life being mocked and inviting ridicule, it may be something you're doing. It's like the old saying, "The only thing every failed relationship you've ever had have in common is you." Were I, for example, to discuss starting a martial arts style called Ving Tchun, I would be inviting ridicule and deservedly so. I have no gung fu experience and am uniquely unqualified to do so.

JadecloudAlchemist

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Soccer is for kids who are too uncoordinated to play a real sport, but who have parents that want them to get some sun.

Hey I played Soccer as a kid you can turn the Soccer ball into a punishable device rumor has it that it was an early example of sterilization from so many groin shots.:lol:

Another thing occurs to me, though. Sometimes people mock and ridicule out of fear. Sometimes out of good natured fraternity. But sometimes... sometimes, people mock something that warrants it
Like people who mate with farm animals.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Basically, people mock and ridicule that which scares them.That is very evident on this board as well.
Whoa, you should know, Emilio. But part of it is the way people talk about what they do. I've gotten to the point where I just use the term "workout" to describe what I do. After many, many years of trying to explain to my friends and family what Wing Tsun ans Escrima are...only to be referred to as the guy that plays with "kuh-rotty", it's just so much easier.

So when you say you are doing your own system of "ninjutsu", you might as well go and hang a sign around your neck that says "kick me". And those pictures of flying tires... I mean that's asking for it. Nevermind the fact that it's a absolute killer workout. I know guys in the FMAs that have been doing that for years. Talk about a total body workout! Oh well, look at it this way... with a name like "Kug maki ung ryu ninjutsu" you'll not only get tire-chucking strong, you'll get a thick skin too. LOL.

Latest Discussions