why are people so....

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
My personal take on it...

If anyone that I'm not close to knows that I'm involved in TKD, then I'm not doing my job. I don't like for anyone to know that I'm involved in martial arts unless I trust them.

I do have a goal of opening a school myself one day, and at that point, I'll be glad to share with the community the fact that I am involved in TKD...but until that point, I have no reason for sharing that information.

Maybe that could help...

Brandon-I shared the first view with you before I opened my own school and your second right now.

I still like to keep things as quiet as possible, but it is nearly impossible with the size of community I live in. Small may be good for some things, but for keeping things quiet, it is nearly impossible.

Aiki Lee

Master of Arts
Reaction score
My question would be why are we discussing the legitimacy of one person's art when the op was why are people not accepting of martial arts training. My point is that if we as people that train in martial arts can not agree on the validity of training how can anyone outside of martial arts be expected to ???

You raise a good point. If emilio creates something that works for him and allows him to accomplish his goals, the his training could be considered "valid" for lack of a better term.

I think the main problem people have is his decision to name his fighting methods with a bizarre combination of meaningless words and ninjutsu. This to me raises a red flag.

If emilio's training works for him, just as we believe our training will work for us then good for him. I certainly wouldn't want to train the way he is training, because I put my faith in combative skills that had been tested in life and death struggles for centuries. But if he makes a system that let's him fight off attackers then his system could be "valid". I just hope he changes the name to something that doesn't sound so strange.

morph4me

Goin' with the flow
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Can we please keep this thread on track there are already threads to discuss this individual's training.

Aiki Lee

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Can we please keep this thread on track there are already threads to discuss this individual's training.

It was my understanding that the original post's purpose was to discuss how one deals with people questioning the validity of martial arts training.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
My question would be why are we discussing the legitimacy of one person's art when the op was why are people not accepting of martial arts training. My point is that if we as people that train in martial arts can not agree on the validity of training how can anyone outside of martial arts be expected to ???

Let me ask you this...kids play cops and robbers. Kids imitate a cop. Does that make them a real cop? A little girl has a barbie cooking set. She pretends that she is really baking things for barbie and ken. Does that make her a real cook? When the TMNT first came out, you had kids running around pretending that they were one of the turtles. Were they really Ninjas?

My point....if you're training in one thing, something thats legit, fine. But how can you take things from which you have limited training in, mishmash them together and call it something its not?

*For clarification, when I say 'you', I'm not referring to you but to anyone who finds it necessary to make up things.*

KELLYG

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
MJS

It wouldn't bother me if he practiced his art by the light of the silvery moon in a pit of flaming mashed potato's in a tie died loin cloth. What he does and how he does it. and what he calls it, is not relevant, in my opinion, I don't care. Obviously he likes what he is doing and is passionate about it. Legit or not no skin off my nose.

Back to the thread at hand. I have had mixed reactions. 1) the give me some kind of kihap, why I don't know. 2) the look at me and say yeeeaaahhh right. 3) some say cool 4) some just shake there heads as if I have bumped mine.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
MJS

It wouldn't bother me if he practiced his art by the light of the silvery moon in a pit of flaming mashed potato's in a tie died loin cloth. What he does and how he does it. and what he calls it, is not relevant, in my opinion, I don't care. Obviously he likes what he is doing and is passionate about it. Legit or not no skin off my nose.

Frankly, I don't care either, and my apologies for getting on a tangent about EZ. He tends to want to talk about his 'art' in every thread. I know what I do, I know what he's doing, and its certainly not interesting to me.

Back to the thread at hand. I have had mixed reactions. 1) the give me some kind of kihap, why I don't know. 2) the look at me and say yeeeaaahhh right. 3) some say cool 4) some just shake there heads as if I have bumped mine.

As to why people talk down about an art....I guess it makes them feel good to talk about something they probably don't know anything about. :)

emiliozapata

Green Belt
Reaction score
actually , I never once mentioned my specific art in this thread. My mere presence in the thread caused you to go off about me.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
actually , I never once mentioned my specific art in this thread. My mere presence in the thread caused you to go off about me.

Actually in post 37, you took a shot at the board and people who've commented on your 'art.' Additionally, there were a number of posts that were split from another thread and moved to the one in TGD, because they were off topic. ie: The subject was on one thing and you began a rant on your 'art.'

So, before we go any more off topic.....:)

morph4me

Goin' with the flow
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I would say that in some cases there is, legally martial artists are held to a higher standard if they use their skills, so in that case there is, but I've never heard of anyone being denied anything because of their knowledge of martial arts. You should never attribute to malice what can just as readily be attributed to stupidity.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Would anyone say there is a almost borderline prejudice against the MA's?

B

I would probably lean towards saying yes. I think that unless you're talking with someone who is a martial artist, that everyone will have a distorted view of what they're all about. Think about how many times people ask if you really have to register your hands with the police as deadly weapons. How many times people see a martial arts movie, where the good guy is taking people out with great ease, and the non martial artist asks if you could do the same thing. Think about how many times during discussion with non-MAists, people will assume that all arts and the people who train in them are nothing but trained killers with no remorse for human life. I mean, how could we be if we're training to hurt people.

So, yes, IMHO, its comments like I just listed that give the arts a bad rep.

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Would anyone say there is a almost borderline prejudice against the MA's?

B
Yeah, a lot has to do with public perception. The general public thinks a black belt should be able to peacefully control a dozen machete-wielding attackers without a scratch.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
MJS

Throw in some dancing around a satellite dish and I am SOLD! My loin cloth is unbleached right now, but I could tie dye it in a heartbeat!
I think this is pretty typical. I don't know about anyone else's experience, but I'm glad I got married BEFORE starting my martial arts training. I've found that, at least for me, telling women I train in martial arts has other than the intended effect... unless they also train.

OP
KempoGuy06

KempoGuy06

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I would probably lean towards saying yes. I think that unless you're talking with someone who is a martial artist, that everyone will have a distorted view of what they're all about. Think about how many times people ask if you really have to register your hands with the police as deadly weapons. How many times people see a martial arts movie, where the good guy is taking people out with great ease, and the non martial artist asks if you could do the same thing. Think about how many times during discussion with non-MAists, people will assume that all arts and the people who train in them are nothing but trained killers with no remorse for human life. I mean, how could we be if we're training to hurt people.

So, yes, IMHO, its comments like I just listed that give the arts a bad rep.
I mean I use the word prejudice and all I can think of is the KKK or Nazis so I dont want to come of to strong, but it was really the best word i could think of.

But I guess the statement "ignorance leads to prejudice" is true in this situation as well. These people only absorb what they hear or see instead of doing.

Why cant people apply the same learning tools in math classes to the martial arts or everyday life for that matter. You can look at a picture of the quadratic equation as long as you want but until someone explains how it work and the steps involved you'll never "get it".

B

kosho

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Wait a minute... what? Shiatsu is a form of martial arts? How exactly do we define the term "martial arts?" Their hands are part of their feet???

Okay. Maybe I'm one of the dumb ones, but could you explain these two things to me?

Ok, So Shiatsu is a form of healing so its a healing art. So when you learn how to heal the body, You then know how to hurt or destroy the body. So in Kempo for me it is a sub art. ( thats why I said a martial art)

Also understanding that your hands are connected to your feet. Shoulders to your hips, and elbows to your knees. Again you would have to see and feel what I am talking about. But its all in Kosho Ryu Kempo.

So by changing your hand posture, your feet also change in rooting. it can weaken it or make it stronger just but a small change.

If I shift your shoulder I then can control your hip and freeze your motion or slow it down.

and If i control your elbow it will affect your knees in a motion movment.

And so on. Again This is just a way I deal with people who are negative to All of us in one way or another who train in martial arts.

Does this help with what I said to kempoguy? and what he posted.
If not I can try a different way...

Have a great day.

Kosho

kosho

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I've had my brain fried by Sensei Bonk :D :D He knows his stuff, that is for sure.

Carol.

Thank you for the Compliment

Kosho

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Drunk Friend of a Friend: "Oh, you do kurotty? What would you do if I did... THIS." (almost invariably accompanied by some sloppy John Wayne style haymaker.)

Kreth responds with the almighty bitchslap. "Oh, sorry, dude. I thought you were really gonna hit me." :rofl:

kosho

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
LOL thats great last post.

One of my students who is getting ready for his Brown belt test coming up. ( 8 hour test) was at a party. a buddy of his drinking says. What ya gonna do if I do this and a Haaayyy maker comes out. My student move's and fliks his nose. and says that would have been a punch if I thought your were not fooling around. His close buddy who I think had to much says oh ya and goes to tackle him. Again just moves of line and puts his hand up as his buddy runs into the open hand and breaks his own nose. We all start LOL, and get him a towel for his nose. The next day all his Buddy could do was LOL about what had happened.

kosho