why are people so....

OP
KempoGuy06

KempoGuy06

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Soccer is for kids who are too uncoordinated to play a real sport, but who have parents that want them to get some sun. ;)

KempoGuy06, I'm kidding. Knowing how many people post here from overseas, I thought it would be a good example of friendly teasing. I have nothing against soccer other than that I'm no good at it. :D

Another thing occurs to me, though. Sometimes people mock and ridicule out of fear. Sometimes out of good natured fraternity. But sometimes... sometimes, people mock something that warrants it. If you are continuously moving through life being mocked and inviting ridicule, it may be something you're doing. It's like the old saying, "The only thing every failed relationship you've ever had have in common is you." Were I, for example, to discuss starting a martial arts style called Ving Tchun, I would be inviting ridicule and deservedly so. I have no gung fu experience and am uniquely unqualified to do so.

I obviously missed that...LOL!!!

B

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I obviously missed that...LOL!!!

B
No problem. It's actually a terrific example of a situation where I said something in jest and it actually (hopefully in a very, very minor way) offended someone. Much easier to have these kinds of misunderstandings in writing, where we have no non-verbal cues to read. They also, however, happen all too often in person. About a year into my marriage, I told my wife that if there were ever two ways to interpret something I've said... where one is negative and the other is positive, I ALWAYS mean it in the positive way. It's about giving people the benefit of the doubt, until or unless they've made their intentions very clear.

OP
KempoGuy06

KempoGuy06

Grandmaster
Reaction score
No problem. It's actually a terrific example of a situation where I said something in jest and it actually (hopefully in a very, very minor way) offended someone. Much easier to have these kinds of misunderstandings in writing, where we have no non-verbal cues to read. They also, however, happen all too often in person. About a year into my marriage, I told my wife that if there were ever two ways to interpret something I've said... where one is negative and the other is positive, I ALWAYS mean it in the positive way. It's about giving people the benefit of the doubt, until or unless they've made their intentions very clear.
very good point.

B

Woodbutcher

White Belt
Reaction score
"Just for Kids" are they crazy? Punch them in the chest and pull out their still beating heart and show it to them "can a kid do THAT". Of course standard operating proceedure requires you to eat the heart so that you absorb their courage, but all and all, it's more of the visual aid I think your needing.

In all seriousness, it's all what YOU want to do. I'm big into cycling as well, so I get my fair share of comments bout my shaved legs (I'm a guy) and spandex shorts/bibs. To be honest, I cut up with the them. It's the stuff that makes me, me. Even my wife loves to tease me, but she knows what my passions are and would never want me to compromise simply to fit in with the norm.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
People are blind and only see what thay want to see. I started at about 12 years old now 38. I run into people who also say things and what not. I ask them about daily pains thay may have. Like what do you do for work. Ans. could be roofing. ok do you have any daily pain. most say yes. I then tell them that shiatsu could maybe help them. Thats a form of martial arts. Its not just punch kick and throw. So, I try to inform the dumb people out there when they can be informed. I tell them that martial arts is a life long goal. not just a black belt then done in 2 - 6 years. I then tell them that there hands are part of there feet and show them somthing that makes there brain fry. and walk away from them. some follow and ask more others just look dumb. LOL just have fun with them. thats what I call martial arts fun. Not sure if this is what the topic was about bout thats what came to my mind. take care

kosho

I've had my brain fried by Sensei Bonk :D :D He knows his stuff, that is for sure.

I think the concept of fighting makes a lot of people uncomfortable. When I got word that my niece had joined the Guard, I was thrilled! However, the reaction across my other relatives was mixed.

OP
KempoGuy06

KempoGuy06

Grandmaster
Reaction score
"Just for Kids" are they crazy? Punch them in the chest and pull out their still beating heart and show it to them "can a kid do THAT". Of course standard operating proceedure requires you to eat the heart so that you absorb their courage, but all and all, it's more of the visual aid I think your needing.

In all seriousness, it's all what YOU want to do. I'm big into cycling as well, so I get my fair share of comments bout my shaved legs (I'm a guy) and spandex shorts/bibs. To be honest, I cut up with the them. It's the stuff that makes me, me. Even my wife loves to tease me, but she knows what my passions are and would never want me to compromise simply to fit in with the norm.
dude i laughed so hard at that i spit out water

B

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey everyone. As many of you have read before Ive had some issues with people being...well...less than accepting of my MA training even going so far as to not allow me to see members of my own family.

Ive actually encountered people recently that not only look down at me for training but also openly mock me and the people i train with. They say things to the effect of "only little kids train" or "wow you must be a real loser" or whatever. Now Im not one to take anything people who dont me say to heart. I dont care what other people think of me...never have and never will. If you dont like me that is your opinion.

I bring this up only because i want to know why. what is going through these peoples heads to make them revert to the 8 years olds they were on the playground making fun of the different kid? And also to wonder how they pose the statement "only kids do karate" (as karate is the only type of MA out there). Do they think something as old as the MA could have lasted if only kids did it?

Anyway...Im done, it was more of a rant than anything, but Im more than willing to read anyones responses. Thanks

B

Sadly, people like that are everywhere. This is probably the #1 reason why I like to do my best to keep my training quiet. If someone wants to have a serious discussion, thats one thing, but when I hear things like you mentioned or the Bruce Lee sound effects...sorry, I have no desire for those folks.

Keep on training, and chalk those people up as uneducated.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Basically, people mock and ridicule that which scares them.That is very evident on this board as well.

Perhaps you shouldn't throw stones, when you live in a glass house yourself. People mock and ridicule things that scare them...oh, you mean kinda like you mock the X-Kans, and instead run off on limited training, and create some mumbo jumbo. So instead of putting in the blood, sweat and tears, you take the easy road.

Really EZ, I'm not afraid. However, I call a spade a spade. If someone is doing something wrong, if someone is teaching something that is questionable, if someone is doing something questionable, I'm going to call them on it. I've done it before in the Kenpo section, and I'm sure I've upset a few folks. However, sometimes its interesting to see the various reactions. Kinda like saying, "Oh truth hurts."

I've been here quite a bit longer than you, so let me share something with you. The internet and the forums are full of opinions...some good, some not so good. Throughout my time here, I've ran into some very good martial artists. There are opinions that I place higher on the scale than others. There are a number of Bujinkan people here, who I'd put their opinions higher than say, oh, someone who comes on here, bragging about some child hood fantasy, with assumptions of the Kans that probably are not correct. And then you wonder why you get the reception that you do.

Oh and BTW, I'd probably put the opinions of some here, in the mild category, regarding the comments on your 'art' because I can point you to a forum that would probably laugh you out faster than you got in.

emiliozapata

Green Belt
Reaction score
Where do you get the assumption that my training lacks"blood, sweat and tears"? I would venture to guess that my taiso and randori heavy training produces more of the forementioned than most of the X kan systems.

It is not the systems I ridicule, trust me, it's just those who ridicule anything that does not fit their belief systems and then for the most part refuse to consider anything else to have merit. For instance, C. Jacobson takes alot of ridicule, but I have been watching some of her videos and she looks pretty proficient in unarmed combat, so in my mind she has more truth to her system, despite what some may say is a non legitimate lineage. I would rather have truth in application than lineage.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The blood, sweat and tears into training in a legit art, vs. making something up and calling it something it is not. And what makes you think that your methods of body conditioning are superior? Is it necessary to look like Arnold to be successful in the arts?

And as far as the thoughts of others goes...you seem to be missing the fact that you have people who have devoted many years in an art, in this case the Bujinkan. They see someone come on here and talk about things that have nothing, zero, to do with that. Sorry, but you can't just put a hodgepodge art together and pass it off as something, and if you can't see that, I don't know what to tell you.

BrandonLucas

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
My personal take on it...

If anyone that I'm not close to knows that I'm involved in TKD, then I'm not doing my job. I don't like for anyone to know that I'm involved in martial arts unless I trust them.

I do have a goal of opening a school myself one day, and at that point, I'll be glad to share with the community the fact that I am involved in TKD...but until that point, I have no reason for sharing that information.

Maybe that could help...

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hey everyone. As many of you have read before Ive had some issues with people being...well...less than accepting of my MA training even going so far as to not allow me to see members of my own family.

Ive actually encountered people recently that not only look down at me for training but also openly mock me and the people i train with. They say things to the effect of "only little kids train" or "wow you must be a real loser" or whatever. Now Im not one to take anything people who dont me say to heart. I dont care what other people think of me...never have and never will. If you dont like me that is your opinion.

I bring this up only because i want to know why. what is going through these peoples heads to make them revert to the 8 years olds they were on the playground making fun of the different kid? And also to wonder how they pose the statement "only kids do karate" (as karate is the only type of MA out there). Do they think something as old as the MA could have lasted if only kids did it?

Anyway...Im done, it was more of a rant than anything, but Im more than willing to read anyones responses. Thanks

B
They sound like they should be avoided for any meaningfull conversation.
Sean

KELLYG

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
For some people complaining about people talking smack about what they do, y'all talk a lot of smack yourselves. :soapbox:

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
Don`t think I`ve ever been mocked for training in the arts.. called crazy for spending too much time in the Doco perhaps but that I take as a compliment. If the subject comes up most people are actually respectful and a bit interested. There will be some who brag about their skill being a yellow belt in this or that art they haven`t practiced in years...

Guardian

Black Belt
Reaction score
Never cared what people thought about my training. I guess it was never was really a question due to my career.

I don't quite understand, not seeing the family bit though. They really could kiss my butt on that one.

OP
KempoGuy06

KempoGuy06

Grandmaster
Reaction score
For some people complaining about people talking smack about what they do, y'all talk a lot of smack yourselves. :soapbox:
other than one person I dont see anyone "talkin smack" other than about people or instances in which they can relate to my OP

B

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

The difference is, you have a group of people, such as in the OPs situation, talking smack about a legit art. If in your statement, you're talking about comments that have been made to EZ, then herein lies the difference. EZ is making up his own art. People who make stuff up, promote themselves, or do anything to deceive others is plain wrong. There are many legit things out there, so why people choose to make stuff up is beyond me.

I've had people talk smack in the middle of a class, basically saying that what was being taught would not work. For those people, I would show them how it worked. :) For the ones that talk smack outside of the classroom...some I would try to explain what they're missing and others I would choose to ignore, as any explaination would be over their head.

KELLYG

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
My question would be why are we discussing the legitimacy of one person's art when the op was why are people not accepting of martial arts training. My point is that if we as people that train in martial arts can not agree on the validity of training how can anyone outside of martial arts be expected to ???

Latest Discussions