Advice for a student who wants to be an instructor

OP
KempoGuy06

KempoGuy06

Grandmaster
Reaction score
thanks for all the great advice people. Im really looking forward to this. I love helping others and Id love to be able to give as much back to the MAs as they have given to me.

My dream is to be able to open a school of my own to help and teach people that had the same problems I did before I found the MAs. They saved my life in more ways than one and I want to do the same for others

B

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My only advice is when you start out KEEP IT SIMPLE. If you are working with kids this is even more important.

QFT...

You'll need to simplify things even more with younger kids, since many times, you tell them to step with the left foot, and they'll step with the right foot instead, even if you asked them to point to their left foot beforehand.

If you say look over your left shoulder, many times, kids will look over their right shoulders instead. As many times as you may grumble about how some kids might be dyslexic, that's simply not the case. Instead, tap them on the left shoulder and tell them to turn their heads towards that direction.

Above all, watch the kids closely... Some might have drank a liter of Coke before coming to class, and won't show any signs of needing to use the bathroom to the less-experienced eye.

Lynne

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Good for you, KempoGuy.

The idea of teaching is a bit scary. I just got back from vacation and will be assisting next week in the children's classes. Our school is very formal/disciplined, so it will be interesting. What I mean is it's a different format than helping in kindergarten or elementary school.

I'm glad I have the opportunity to assist at red belt level though! This will help me determine if I really want to teach at black belt level.

Will you think about posting your experiences? Maybe in a blog or something?