Who would win in a sparing match?

ozm8ey

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Say if a boxer and karate master were both the same size, weight, skill level who would win in a sparing match?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The one that wanted it more.

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
No one win "in a sparring match". (Some thoughts on sparring)
Do you mean light contact combat? Anyway, it is not what you train, it is how you train that matters the most.
Yet, if everything is the same (size, skill...), it will be draw...

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Style versus style threads we've had a plenty, they never end well.

Aiki Lee

Master of Arts
Reaction score
This question can't really be answered. If both practitioners are at the same level then it would depend on who implements their strategy first and takes the initiative.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Say if a boxer and karate master were both the same size, weight, skill level who would win in a sparing match?
Who would win? Me. Because I'd sell tickets to the millions of other people who have asked this exact same thing millions upon millions of times.

Cheap too. $40 per ticket.

Then I'd go buy a yacht and a private island.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

These types of questions are inherently impossible to answer. There are simply too many variables.

Is kicking allowed? Leg sweeps? Throws? Groin shots? Throat? Finger strikes? Eye gouges? Timed rounds or go till you're out? What was the most recent meal and how gassy did it make them?

Unless Chuck Norris is involved. Then we know who wins.

Kenpoguy123

Purple Belt
Reaction score

The one who's better simple as that. There's no such thing as equal skill. No one is exactly the same skill wise. In any sport a win doesn't make you the best ever and that's it that's why there's rematches. Especially in fighting you beat a guy once doesn't mean your better than him and will always beat him. Sometimes that is the case but others it isn't. There are plenty of examples in boxing and mma where people have rematches and the original loser wins the next match. (Al vs Frazier, penn vs Hughes, machida vs shogun etc.

But I don't think that's what you want to hear I think you wanted to start an argument about who's style is better which is a stupid pointless debate. Any boxer can beat a karate guy and any karate guy can beat a boxer it all depends on circumstance

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score

What are the rules? If it's boxing rules, than obviously the boxer would win. If it's Olympic Taekwondo sparring rules (which give more points to kicking and don't allow face punches), the karate guy would probably have an advantage. If it's BJJ rules, who the heck knows.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
flaw in statement: A boxer and a karate master would never have the same skill level. Even a beginner boxer vs a beginner karate student don't have the same skill level for the simple fact that one kicks and the other one doesn't. It's an apples and oranges comparison.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Who would win? Me. Because I'd sell tickets to the millions of other people who have asked this exact same thing millions upon millions of times.

Cheap too. $40 per ticket.

Then I'd go buy a yacht and a private island.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
Just take a bunch of videos, and put them on youtube. The people in question don't even have to be their claimed styles. Way simpler, and proven to work.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
What are the rules? If it's boxing rules, than obviously the boxer would win. If it's Olympic Taekwondo sparring rules (which give more points to kicking and don't allow face punches), the karate guy would probably have an advantage. If it's BJJ rules, who the heck knows.

yeah... a karate guy vs. his clone who is a boxer ...having a BJJ match in a zero gravity environment. Hmmm. Guess I'd still back Chuck Norris.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I've trained boxing a long time. I've trained Karate even longer. Sometimes I fight with myself just for ships and giggles. My wife usually breaks it up and beats us both. The B....

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah... a karate guy vs. his clone who is a boxer ...having a BJJ match in a zero gravity environment. Hmmm. Guess I'd still back Chuck Norris.

I'd go for Deadpool!

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I've trained boxing a long time. I've trained Karate even longer. Sometimes I fight with myself just for ships and giggles. My wife usually breaks it up and beats us both. The B....
lol. I don't know what's worse about that statement. the fact that you say you fight yourself or the fact that your wife thinks there 2 of you lol.

Latest Discussions