Who would win in a sparing match?

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Karate master wins easily because he trains with weapons and the boxer does not.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
This is not self defence though is it? The OP asks who would win a sparring match, posted in the 'general martial arts section not the self defence section. Self defence is a totally different thing and the 'rules' are very, very different as in... non existent.

If you're so intent on sticking to the original question posed, here goes...

No one wins a sparring match. Why? Sparring isn't competition. Sparring is practice. Once points are involved or there's a winner and loser, it's no longer sparring, it's competing.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you're so intent on sticking to the original question posed, here goes...

No one wins a sparring match. Why? Sparring isn't competition. Sparring is practice. Once points are involved or there's a winner and loser, it's no longer sparring, it's competing.

You get the point then of why it's boring speculation about 'who wins'.

MAfreak

Purple Belt
Reaction score
i didn't read the whole thread but there was lot of dubious things in what i've read. o_O
karate master wins because he trains with weapons? 1: karate = "empty hand", 2: weapons in a sparring match? we don't talk a life or death situation.
boxers wouldn't stand a chance? they know better than many karateka how to infight, not to mention the bad guard of most karateka.
it always depends also on the practitioner and his aggressiveness. i was karateka, i sparred with boxers and all types of martial artists and could say many karatekas couldn't handle an infight so the boxer might come very close and the karateka is screwed. on the other hand boxers aren't very good at handling kicks so with stop kicks and such one might be able to hold a distance. if the karate style teaches also grappling (one karate style is not like the other) than its possible to get a choke hold or something, even without throwing but the chances are good to take serious hits by the boxer when trying. by submitting someone one could call it "winning" this round of the sparring. otherwise it will be always a draw like the good posts here said, sparring is training, not competition, so you shouldn't punch or kick hard enough to ko the "opponent" who is your training partner.
when comparing styles in my opinion the karateka surely learns many more useful techniques but trains it in a way less effective way than boxers or kickboxers train their techniques. this will lead to many "dislikes" but it's reality.

Last edited:

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i didn't read the whole thread...

Perhaps you should have before responding.

karate master wins because he trains with weapons? 1: karate = "empty hand",

The word karate may mean empty hand, but karate systems do train with weapon as well (bo, jo, tonfa or whatever).

2: weapons in a sparring match? we don't talk a life or death situation.

My post, and other member's posts, point out the fallacy of the OP. It was meant to point out the fallacy of the OP. The OP didn't state the parameters of the 'sparring' match. Therefore we don't know the rules by which they would be required to abide. And since you can spar with weapons and boxing doesn't teach to defend against weapons it was as plausible a comparison as any. And again, meant to directly demonstrated the flaw(s) of the OP.

The OP question cannot be answered.