When will learning self-defence be simple?

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, When will "learning how to defend yourself "be simple and easy to learn and remember and most of us can do it!

Lots of untrain/ non-martial artist everyday do protect themselves very effectively...that means there is a very simple way to learn enough techniques to escape or survive!

Also for the many who train in martial arts...have simple and easy to use techniques that we can apply.

Such as: eye pokes, thoat-pressing/striking, biting, groin hits, ear slapping, nose smashing, most of these do not require years of learning or powerful striking methods of learning.

Plus if you learn and train in a safe enviroment all the time? ...you will never face the adrenline fear, being alone unprotected, the dark, unknown, fear situtions in real life....can you react? will you be able to get into the right frame of mind...to protect yourself?

Self-defense should be simple and easy to use.....ALWAY KEEP IT SIMPLE...who has time for 100 techniques when being attack (seconds)

Eye am for IT! Aloha,

PS: Remember a street encounter last for a few seconds only...the bad guy wants any fight to end quickly and you unable to defend yourself...weapons or not....

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Basics, basics, basics. I will go out on a limb and say that much of what we would need in terms of techniques to use in self defense from most martial arts is learned in the white to green belt stages, or equivallent thereof, depending upon the art.

The consistent and prolonged practice of the basics is something that most people do not do, assailant or not.

In that sense, it is fairly easy. More advanced techniques are in your toolbox for those occasions when the basics are not enough or you need to end an encounter quickly and the opportunity to use an advanced technique presents itself.

Daniel

LuckyKBoxer

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
If you want simple self defense that is quick and easy to learn and use, then you need to go buy a shotgun, and shells, learn how to load it, how to shoot it, and then pay attention.... everything else is to be used when you forget your gun, or can't get your gun.

Andy Moynihan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
People's Banana Republic of Massachusettstan, Disu
You can do it NOW.

You don't need a full blown martial art just to be good at defending yourself. But a lot of folks like the extra effort put into the self perfection side of things and find that extra stuff fun.

That's one of the great things about the martial arts is there's something in there for everyone.

blindsage

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Did anyone ever say you can't defend yourself if you don't spend 10 years studying a martial art? There are all kinds of basic self defense courses that are short, direct, and useful. So the answer is...now. And now that you have your answer, the rest of us can get back to training.

BLACK LION

Black Belt
Reaction score
just adding to what has already been posted.

simplicity is in the principles.
There can be 1500 techniques that all rely on 1 principle.

Plenty of times and "untrained" person gets the better of a "trained" person and thats becuase the untrained person knows that violence will get results they want....and its so simple and 8 year old can do.

Striking should focus on targets and the effects and spinal reflex associated with it.
Joint locks-manipulations-come alongs etc should stress the simple principles that every joint break has in common... there is 1 way to break a joint and only 1 way. there are only 6 ways to get there.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Self defense is easy, the problem is with the attacker they just don't do it thew right way kinda like Jim Carry on Saturday night when he was aworld champion and the lady keep stabbing him and all he said you are doing it wrong like this like this. If you want simple stay inside lock all your doors and never come out for any reason..... I will send flowers and speak at the funeral.

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Short answer: yes, self defence can be simple right now, the caveat being COMPETENT self defence takes time :)

The basic techniques must be properly taught and also properly practiced. I do not think it is enough to spend a two hour seminar learning basic gouges, key-strikes, shin heeling and whatever if the participant is not conditioned to *use* those techniques WITH INTENT. I think too often quick-and-dirty basic defence seminars and courses offer little to the participants beyond delusional self confidence on the one hand and techniques that many (particularly women I have found) are actually afraid to use.

I am not arguing about the necessity for basic defence, absolutely not and but I think that a degree of diligent and committed practice *as though the participant is being attacked for real* is imperative if the techniques are to be of any value whatsoever.

To say the we can somehow be capable in our own defence after just a few basic techniques is not something I could agree with. At best we give those students a better chance or a longer survive in the event of an assault. I have not wasted all these years gratuitously padding out what I learned in my first few weeks. I am trying to develop responses for every feasible mode of attack. Yes, it will take me forever to wade through all permutations and become proficient in the defence thereof and but I have no intention of letting the hypothesis of mortality prevent me from trying ;)

Sorry if that is a big rant :)

Yr most obdt hmble srvt,
Jenna

Last edited:

Thesemindz

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Self Defense is simple to learn and easy to remember.

Learn how to use a gun

Learn when to use it.

Learn a palm strike, knee strike, clinch position, elbow, and low front kick.

Learn when to use them.

Avoid dangerous situations.

Voila.

Self defense is fairly simple. You can learn it in a few lessons and if you practice it from time to time you can use it relatively effectively.

Learning martial arts on the other hand, is far more complex.

-Rob

GBlues

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Well, I'm gonna have to be the bearer of bad news, and the counter statement guy here. Because the simple fact of the matter is this. You do not need 15 different ways to defend against a right hook. It's not necassary, and it's it only serves the instructor to teach so many variations. You don't need a 1000 techniques, it's overkill. If all you want is to be able to defend yourself when you have to, you don't need all of that stuff. The reality is like black lion said, the very best people at dealing out violence most usually never even train. Because they don't need to. Violence is not a monopoly that martial artist or criminals own. It's a tool that is available to everybody, and the simple fact of the matter is this. If your not learning how to use violence as a tool to incapacitate your attacker you are not learning self-defense. Your still in a dueling state of mind. Where it's still all about giving the other guy a chance. I don't care how good the other guy is, and I don't want to find out. You know it's really interesting how people say it takes a life time to really learn how to defend yourself. Yet, in ww2 people were being sent into combat with as little as 14 hours of hand to hand combat training, and performing some of the most sohpisticated forms of combat, ie...assassinations and such.

The real caveat is this. You can learn to defend yourself in a very short period of time, as far as techniques or moves go. It's the other things that take time, that will make you good with those techniques that you've learned. IT's so simple.....You just need to practice. That's it, that's all. Learn a core set of principles. Like black lion said again, there is only 1 way to break an arm, but there are six different ways to get to that 1 way. So if you learned the principles behind that one way to break an arm, you probably could figure out on your own the other six ways to get to that one way. And you just practice. Practice, practice and practice. Learning martial arts in my mind should be just like riding a bicycle. Once you learn to ride a bike you never forget. Unfortunately studying martial arts isn't that way. If you stop practicing you'll get rusty and you'll forget. However, the simpler the moves, longer you will retain the information, and the easier it will be use in a real violent situation. The more complicated, the harder to remember, and the harder to use in a real violent situation. So in short does it, or should it take 20 years to be able to defend yourself? Absolutely, if you study the so called "Traditional Martial Arts" on the other hand if decide to go with a Reality Based Fighting system, ehhh....probably not so long to be effective.

Just my opinion.

BLACK LION

Black Belt
Reaction score
Both fact and opinion.

I will post a tidbit from an email I received from "Captain Chris" here recently. I do not buy his products or attend his seminars becuase I dont need to but what he says is interesting.

"Hi BRODERICK
Every single day I get a literal FLOOD of emails
all saying the same jazz...

"Why are you saying such harsh things about my
martial art?"

"My art is too self defense you big jerk"
"My sensei says..."
Baa, Baa, Baa, Baa, Baa...
What a bunch of sheep most people are.
Always following the flock...even when they're
headed off a cliff towards impending doom.

Listen, I'm an educator and a coach first and
foremost, so I will NEVER poke fun at anyone
asking a question. (The only bad question is the
one not asked)

What I will not stand for is people desperately
clinging to an ideal or mindset that was forged
on hearsay, theory, or complete nonsense.

Like I always say...Religion, politics, & the
martial arts. 3 things never to discuss unless
you're looking for an argument.

So here's Captain Chris' "official" stance on ALL
martial arts...

They're ALL great.
Each distinctive one has multiple benefits; be it
cultural, sporting, personal achievement,
physical fitness, etc. I firmly believe that
everyone should take a martial art and support
their local dojo, dojang, sifu, sensei, or
instructor.

But NONE of them are self defense.
N-O-N-E...
And please let me clarify before the sheep start
bleating:

Can you use any of the thousands of martial arts
styles to defend yourself? Maybe, maybe not.

Can you use it if you're dead tired? Maybe, maybe
not.

Can you use it if you have a broken leg and are
on crutches? Maybe, maybe not.

Can you use it if you're faced with 3
gang-bangers with baseball bats? Maybe, maybe
not.

Can you use it if you've already been shot or
stabbed? Maybe, maybe not.

Can Close Combat do all those things...Yes.
Every single time. No ifs...no ands...no butts.
Simply because it operates under a different set
of physical and mental laws, the principles of
gross-motor movements, Close Combat can literally
be used if you've got nothing left but one
shattered limb to swing at your attacker.

It can be used with the same brutal effectively
if you're a 12 year old Girl Scout, a 25 year old
power lifter, a 35 year old soccer mom, a 45 year
old dad, a 55 year old executive, a 65 year old
retiree, a 75 year old grandma, or an 85 year old
Vet.

Listen, I am a martial artist.
I already have five black belts and am busy
working on two others.

But when the proverbial @#&% hits the fan...and
I'm called upon to save my life, my family, or
those whom can't protect themselves...

"Maybe, maybe not" is not a good enough answer
for me. (Is it for you?)

I want a whole-hearted, scientifically proven,
battle tested Y-E-S.

And Close Combat is that only yes.
Don't be a sheep...
Pull away from the flock, be something special..."

Fear No Man,
Captain Chris
World Leader In Self Defense

TigerCraneGuy

Orange Belt
Reaction score
The way I see it, the problem lies with the term 'self defense'.

To me, training in a martial art is about learning to fight based upon a specific methodology, which in turn is built upon specific rules / principles. Whether the art be boxing, BJJ, Kenpo, TKD, Wing Chun etc, it doesn't really matter. ultimately, it's still about learning how to fight. And I don't mean 'fight' as in 'to duel', but 'fight' as in 'to take your opponent apart and render them unable to retaliate'.

Self-defense, on the other hand, is more all-encompassing. To me, it's both a mindset and a methodology, which includes building heightened awareness, forming good habits that promote personal safety, understanding the art of negotiation / de-escalation, and then finally... learning how to fight if all else fails.

And so, imho, for the average person, it isn't all that hard to learn 'self defense'. If you stay alert and aware and practice avoidance as the preferred option, you can probably get away with never learning to how to fight.

That said, if some area of your life that you cannot easily discard constantly places you in dangerous situations (e.g. you're a cop, corrections officer, doorman, combat soldier, or the guy working the midnight shift at a petrol station), then in addition to the other, more cerebral aspects of 'self-defense', it might actually be useful to learn how to fight! And I don't mean just H2H, but whatever suits the arena, whether it be pistol-craft or how to use a baseball bat effectively!

Which brings me to my last point: While you don't need to know a hundred techs to know how to fight, whatever you do learn should be practiced dilligently till it becomes second-nature. Practice, practice, practice, and then when you're done... practice again!

A jab may be a simple technique... but learning to wield it effectively always requires hard work!:)

Regards,
TCG

BLACK LION

Black Belt
Reaction score
Dare I say "self offense" ....

I myself utilize this methdology simply becuase the word "defense" in itself connotates a reactionary state. Whereas the word "offense" connotates an actionary state. I would like to think I am somewhat resoponsible for bringing this contrast to light and adopting offensive rather than defensive. Defensive also connotates certain social and legal aspects as well.

I understand this in and of itself opens a big can o worms but its the methodology that I have an affinity for. I may be one of the few out there that classifies my training under "offensive" only and never "defensive".

I do not wish to step on toes or create a huge upheaval. I am merely giving insight from my personal stance.

My training is and always will be... Unconventional - Offensive- and "combatives" oriented...

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
Within the first six months of my Wing Chun training I had learned four corner deflection and had attained a decent level of speed , force and reflex . I was quite surprised when one of my instructors said that along with a fast Pak Sau and punch it was pretty much all I needed to win most fights on the street.

I could have probably dropped out right then , and a lot of people do , only merely scratching the surface of the art. But I soon came to realise that I enjoyed this art and the release of stress that it engenders , the total concentration that is required that tends to put any day to day worries outside of training into perspective .

After all you can't be thinking about how much of a jerk your boss is , or the fight you just had with your Missus when your at training and punches and kicks are whizzing around your head , zen like concentration is needed at that particular time .

So for most of us I imagine , it goes beyond the learning of self defence techniques , most of us would have learnt them to a sufficient level long ago .
The thing that has kept me going through the years is that I am still learning and to me it is more than an art , it is a science that I enjoy.

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
Now if you wish. there are a lot of simple and effective basic techniques that you can use and learn easily.

That is of course on top of perhaps learning to use a fire arm if you wish.

I would suggest the old books of "Get Tough" by W.E. Fairbairn and "kill or Get Killed" by Col. Rex Applegate.

I would point out that learning a martial art system just expands your options, and increases your effectiveness by a great deal when you can not get to that fire arm.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I would like to offer this position. Martial arts systems each encompass a skill set. That skill set may include philosophy and sport in addition to the techniques, but essentially, each system is a collection of techniques.

Self defense is the application of those techniques. It is not self defense until you are defending yourself against an assailant. Just as it is not combat until the soldeir is deployed against a hostile enemy.

We train for the possibility that we may have to defend ourselves. Just as the soldier trains for combat. We train continuously and regularly so as to be ready. The military would call that preparedness.

We each hope that we never have to actually use our skills. Real attacks rarely go the way that they do in the movies and a wrong decision can result in death or permanent injury at someone else's hands.

Thus we train so that when the time comes, our actions spring from techniques and strategies that have been internalized through long hours of practice, and thus require no pause for thought in their usage.

Daniel

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello, When will "learning how to defend yourself "be simple and easy to learn and remember and most of us can do it!

Lots of untrain/ non-martial artist everyday do protect themselves very effectively...that means there is a very simple way to learn enough techniques to escape or survive!

Also for the many who train in martial arts...have simple and easy to use techniques that we can apply.

Such as: eye pokes, thoat-pressing/striking, biting, groin hits, ear slapping, nose smashing, most of these do not require years of learning or powerful striking methods of learning.

Plus if you learn and train in a safe enviroment all the time? ...you will never face the adrenline fear, being alone unprotected, the dark, unknown, fear situtions in real life....can you react? will you be able to get into the right frame of mind...to protect yourself?

Self-defense should be simple and easy to use.....ALWAY KEEP IT SIMPLE...who has time for 100 techniques when being attack (seconds)

Eye am for IT! Aloha,

PS: Remember a street encounter last for a few seconds only...the bad guy wants any fight to end quickly and you unable to defend yourself...weapons or not....

Yes, the simple things should be a no-brainer for just about anyone, however, are things really that simple? IMHO, what needs to be developed first, is a foundation. Without a base to build from, things that are thrown may not be as effective as they could be.

Think about this. Watch a new student in class. Watch how un-coordinated they are when throwing kicks, punches, blocks, etc. If things were 'that simple' then they'd look like they've been training for 30yrs. Everything they threw would be flawless.

Now, yes, once those basics are finetuned, once a solid foundation is built, then, its not so much the techniques that matter, but the principles and concepts behind them. We shouldn't expect someone to exeute a textbook tech. perfectly, but we should expect them to use ideas from that tech. to defend themselves.

Hudson69

Brown Belt
Reaction score
There are some KISS systems out there, the military uses them, law enforcement uses them and more and they are very effective combat proven arts but some (most?) study the martial arts for more than just the self defense aspects of thier art; some like the comaraderie, the passing along ancient traditions, the physical workouts and more.

If you really want a simple defense system you can find one and you can always buy a DVD from someone, there are several out there as well if you do not want to go to a school but the benefit of studying the martial arts is that you learn more than the basics and this just allows you to have more "tools" to use for a larger variety of situations.

Anything you do is up to you....

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are some KISS systems out there, the military uses them, law enforcement uses them and more and they are very effective combat proven arts but some (most?) study the martial arts for more than just the self defense aspects of thier art; some like the comaraderie, the passing along ancient traditions, the physical workouts and more.

If you really want a simple defense system you can find one and you can always buy a DVD from someone, there are several out there as well if you do not want to go to a school but the benefit of studying the martial arts is that you learn more than the basics and this just allows you to have more "tools" to use for a larger variety of situations.

Anything you do is up to you....

I said this before in another thread, but its worth repeating here. I was given a dvd set to view. After watching the first few minutes of this dvd, the first thing that came to my mind was that it was not something suited for a beginner, due to the fact that the content was not what you'd see on a typical dvd. There was no teaching of techniques. There was no instruction on how to properly throw a punch, kick, etc. It was assumed that the viewer already had a base. It showed various attacks, and a number of possible responses to them, but without a foundation, a newbie to the arts, would most likely watch this and wonder what the hell to do with it.

It took principles and concepts that should already be learned, and put them to use, by showing possible counters to the attack, but again, no set or specific techniques. The possibilities that were shown were endless.

My point of this was not to comment on what you said about buying a dvd, but to emphasise what I said earlier about having a base to build from.

Latest Discussions