Importance of Martial Arts!

kravmaga1

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Martial Arts is becoming increasingly popular these days:

Self Defense
– This is the primary reason you should learn this art. It is undeniable that violence exists everywhere. Our team of trainers will help you learn the skills and techniques that will allow you to defend yourself no matter what situation you find yourself in.

Confidence – Mental strength is another benefit you gain from Martial Arts. Once you know and see your physical strength improve every week, you also develop a stronger mental ability. This will help you lead a better life. In fact, it will help you gain a peace of mind knowing you can protect yourself.

Awareness and Focus – In today’s life, when everyone has a busy schedule, it is important to develop a level of concentration and awareness wherever you go. With martial arts training, you will gain discipline and the proper tactics to deal with any situation.

Reduce Stress – Martial Arts has a great deal to reduce stress at any point in life. Whether you experience stress from work, or outside work, training in Martial Arts, will reduce your stress levels and allow you to feel rejuvenated in no time.

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
*scratches my head* is this some kind of sales pitch? If so then I think you came to the wrong place, since most people here already practice a Martial Art and so know the benefits already. Also, if this is a sales pitch, I would advise you to change your wording a little bit:

"Our team of trainers will help you learn the skills and techniques that will allow you to defend yourself no matter what situation you find yourself in"

So by that logic I could walk into the middle of a group of angry people waving guns in my face and be able to take them all down without getting shot.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
*scratches my head* is this some kind of sales pitch? If so then I think you came to the wrong place, since most people here already practice a Martial Art and so know the benefits already. Also, if this is a sales pitch, I would advise you to change your wording a little bit:

"Our team of trainers will help you learn the skills and techniques that will allow you to defend yourself no matter what situation you find yourself in"

So by that logic I could walk into the middle of a group of angry people waving guns in my face and be able to take them all down without getting shot.
to be fair it said " allow you to defend yourself" it didn't say,successfully

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Self Defense
– This is the primary reason you should learn this art. It is undeniable that violence exists everywhere. Our team of trainers will help you learn the skills and techniques that will allow you to defend yourself no matter what situation you find yourself in.

Confidence – Mental strength is another benefit you gain from Martial Arts. Once you know and see your physical strength improve every week, you also develop a stronger mental ability. This will help you lead a better life. In fact, it will help you gain a peace of mind knowing you can protect yourself.

Awareness and Focus – In today’s life, when everyone has a busy schedule, it is important to develop a level of concentration and awareness wherever you go. With martial arts training, you will gain discipline and the proper tactics to deal with any situation.

Reduce Stress – Martial Arts has a great deal to reduce stress at any point in life. Whether you experience stress from work, or outside work, training in Martial Arts, will reduce your stress levels and allow you to feel rejuvenated in no time.
i assume you've put his up for discussion of the claims, and yes all those are potentially true, its rather a question of degree, the final 3 can be achieved through taking dance class or playing golf, even dare i say yoga, there is nothing magical about ma over other past times/ hobbies/ sports

the only specific benefit is self defence and that really depends on what and how it is instructed as to if its a tangible benefit or not.

just saying the world is,VERY dangerous learn ma, is a very simplistic claim

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

What is your evidence to support this claim? I'd say there's little doubt that the popularity of MA training peaked in the 70's and 80's and has declined since then.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score

Self Defense

Um.

You do realize you are /already/ on a martial arts forum right? I don't really think anyone here needs a super generic 101 primer that isn't even that accurate.

So what do you train in?

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Um.

You do realize you are /already/ on a martial arts forum right? I don't really think anyone here needs a super generic 101 primer that isn't even that accurate.

So what do you train in?
The screen name MAY be a clue.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
What is your evidence to support this claim? I'd say there's little doubt that the popularity of MA training peaked in the 70's and 80's and has declined since then.
Absolutely disagree on that. When I was young in my area there was a boxing gym a kickboxing gym and 2 karate schools and a guy who taught judo after school and each place had about 20 students at most. Now there's 5 karate places. 2 jiu jitsu and Mma places, 3 kickboxing gyms and 2 Muay Thai gyms 1 boxing gym, a Krav Maga school, 2 judo schools and a taekwondo school and all of them are very popular. Martial arts are way more popular because of them getting more exposure in mma. Before boxing was the main publicly seen martial art on tv outside of movies. Now people turn on Mma and see boxing, kickboxing taekwondo, Muay Thai, bjj, judo all in one fight card so they're exposed to the different styles more.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Absolutely disagree on that. When I was young in my area there was a boxing gym a kickboxing gym and 2 karate schools and a guy who taught judo after school and each place had about 20 students at most. Now there's 5 karate places. 2 jiu jitsu and Mma places, 3 kickboxing gyms and 2 Muay Thai gyms 1 boxing gym, a Krav Maga school, 2 judo schools and a taekwondo school and all of them are very popular. Martial arts are way more popular because of them getting more exposure in mma. Before boxing was the main publicly seen martial art on tv outside of movies. Now people turn on Mma and see boxing, kickboxing taekwondo, Muay Thai, bjj, judo all in one fight card so they're exposed to the different styles more.
i have a tendency to agree, i have no data, but there are an awful lot of schools opening up round here, one assumes they have enough people to attend

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
In my area it's the opposite. In the 80s there were Karate and TKD schools EVERYWHERE. Now you need to know where to look to find any.

That could just mean those two arts are less popular now(here) though.

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
In my area it's the opposite. In the 80s there were Karate and TKD schools EVERYWHERE. Now you need to know where to look to find any.

That could just mean those two arts are less popular now(here) though.

It makes sense. In the 80s people became aware of Eastern Martial Arts from films, most notably Karate and TKD, so of course everyone wanted to learn those arts as well. Now however people are more aware that self-defence is more important, and so the focus is more on MMA, and dedicated self-defence systems instead.

Saheim

Green Belt
Reaction score
OP - you've convinced me! I'm gonna start training MA...... Oh wait, yea nvmnd :D

As far as whether popularity is increasing or declining, I think that can depend on what area (region, state, city) you're in.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Maybe I should make a post about the benefits of forums.

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Maybe I should make a post about the benefits of forums.

Nah. Those peaked in the early to mid 2000's. This forum is one of the more active forums remaining. Most folks trotted off to Facebook where they only have to converse with those that think the same way they do.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Self Defense

I mean, martial arts is important to me because of health, leadership skills, artful displays, and competition. So...

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
You forgot to add look cool. Yeah. What am I doing? Oh... Nothing much just breaking bricks and practicing a couple super difficult karate forms... So yeah, just chilling. :cool:

Ondrejmatej

White Belt
Reaction score

Self Defense

Becoming Active, Fit and Healthy. This will not only increase activeness in the fight but in other aspects also.

Swanson

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Healthy body
Healthy mind
In my area which is Cornwall in the West Country
There are 4 clubs within a 10 mile radius