Is Self-Defence too loaded a word?

OP
Shotgun Buddha

Shotgun Buddha

Brown Belt
Reaction score
It really doesn't matter to me. My interests are my interest regardless of whether they are called Self-Defense, Self-Protection, Martial Arts, Knife Fighting, American Kenpo, or what have you.

Self-Defense does have a specific legal definition, which includes a threat made on one's life. If the term "Self-Defense" helps a MAist better understand what is Self Defense and what is Murder Two, all the better.

Thats the thing though, whats marketed as self-defence doesn't always match up with the legal stance of it. In alot of cases they're miles apart.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thats the thing though, whats marketed as self-defence doesn't always match up with the legal stance of it. In alot of cases they're miles apart.

Correct. But I still feel that you and/or your instructor need to cover the legal aspect of protecting yourself. With the variation from state to state you need to be aware of how the way you choose to protect yourself may be vary. Making a claim of "Ididn't know" is not going to get you very far. We all should be familiar with the use of force pyramid.

OP
Shotgun Buddha

Shotgun Buddha

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Correct. But I still feel that you and/or your instructor need to cover the legal aspect of protecting yourself. With the variation from state to state you need to be aware of how the way you choose to protect yourself may be vary. Making a claim of "Ididn't know" is not going to get you very far. We all should be familiar with the use of force pyramid.

Ive done my research on what the laws are like in my country. Fortunately most Irish people are too down for earth for the more legally moronic self-defence concepts to ever gain a foothold.
I also make it a point to do gain at least a passing familiarity with the laws and details of anywhere I might be visiting.

Latest Discussions