when not doing martial arts

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
i go to the gym, read, and write. I am currently perfecting my first novel in a series so i can get it published. I finished the sequel of it and stopped writing the third to get the first novel published and i finished a poetry book.
I wish I had any talent for writing.
Good luck! You will have to let us know the title and publication date so we can buy it.

Ahriman

Green Belt
Reaction score
I spend time with my girlfriend, read a lot, play with our dogs, study religions if time allows, make steel stuff for a living, make steel stuff as a hobby, discuss a huge variety of things with my friends, attend&organize LARP events, work on our fortress, work out, write essays about steel stuff, design steel stuff I don't have to make yet, learn computer skills. (right now I'm into 3d modelling)
But one of my favourites is when I'm in an area cut off from civilization... you can only hear the birds and the wind... and the sound of various weapons hitting shields and heads combined with the noise made by a few hundred more or less armoured people fighting. ;)

(steel stuff means anything from small SD knives through crossbows to full-plate harnesses)

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Almost exactly what tshadowchaser does sans the skunk and racoon problems...

OMG I almost forgot that I spend a whole lot of time during the nice weather riding my Harley...

OP
ackks10

ackks10

Purple Belt
Reaction score
wow!!! you mean not one of you guys ever go fishing:eye-popping: btw i do spend time with the family also,but i like fishing:boing2:

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
wow!!! you mean not one of you guys ever go fishing:eye-popping:

Dude. I LOVE fishing.. The oppertunity rarely presents itself, but if it does I jump at the chance...

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think you would like my books FC because they are sword-swinging fantasies.:duel:

I'd love to read them. Let me know when they are ready! You must make an announcement so we can all check them out.

I've often thought about trying my hand at the genre as well. I've had zero training in creative writing, but I occasionally have ideas swirling around in the ole noggin that seem like they might work well in a story. Problem is, I can't figure out the whole story, so I get stuck.

Tomu

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hunting, hunting and more hunting when deer and duck season is in.
This time of year like to do some fishing with my wife and three daughters.
Getting ready for one of our summer trips to fish for salmon and trout on Lake Michigan(my father-in-law own a charter fishing service out of St. Joe).
Oh yeah, I read alot too.

Langenschwert

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Asides from Martial Arts, I'm also a musician (jazz electric bass), a voracious reader (usually old-school Sword & Sorcery, medieval and ancient history), a reasonable chess player, and a pen & paper rpg player. :)

Best regards,

-Mark

Fiendlover

Black Belt
Reaction score
I'd love to read them. Let me know when they are ready! You must make an announcement so we can all check them out.

I've often thought about trying my hand at the genre as well. I've had zero training in creative writing, but I occasionally have ideas swirling around in the ole noggin that seem like they might work well in a story. Problem is, I can't figure out the whole story, so I get stuck.

Lol i will then. i hope to get at least the first one published by this next year, but i have no idea. you should definately try it. i havent had training in creative writing either other then school, and im barely a senior. i think you'd have a good a chance as i in creating an awesome story even if its just a short story. you should try it. a good method for me is that whatever you think of you should just write it down no matter what it is and if you dont like it you can alway omit it. good luck.

Fiendlover

Black Belt
Reaction score
If you can solemnly swear that you write better than Christopher Paolini, I'll gladly buy and read them!
OMG is that the guy who wrote Eragon? Because if it is then i totally write better than him. im in competetion with him because h got it written and published when he was 15 and i wrote my first book well into middle school with huge changes and omittions of course and i think his story/storyline sucks....IMHO

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As an aside, Fiendlover, from my own experience it is best to write for the love of it rather than the expectation of being published. It's even worse now than it was when I was a teenager getting my English Lit. teacher to critique my efforts - millions upon millions hope to make their living via the written word but only a handful do.

Luck more than talent determines the 'breaks' so don't let it dishearten you if the literary career does not materialise. I have a drawer full of manuscripts in various states of completion and I still like to dig through them on occasion (tho' some of them make me cringe these days :D). Maybe I'll try again one of these days ...

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
OK serious response

When not training MA

Work – which gets in the way of training

Driving - which I do to much of and it too gets in the way of training

Family time which is absolutely great

Yoga

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
OK, so here is the straight answer (in no order whatever):

Research in my field; research in related fields (logic, certain branches of math); catching up on stuff related to my old undergraduate physics major. That's about 75% of the non-training time.

Rereading favorite authors (Rereading seems to be the lion's share of the reading I do...)

Resistance strength training/interval aerobic training.

Calligraphy

Family stuff

Worrying about stuff I can't do anything about

That pretty much sums it up, I think... :rolleyes:

CrimsonPhoenix

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Well up until I graduated from highschool in May, schoolwork kept me busy. I get a little summer break, then it's college work.

Things I like doing: Reading (mainly contemporary fiction and fantasy), Writing (mostly fantasy and a lil poetry), playing the acoustic guitar (both in my church's youth band and at home), Singing / Listening to Music, Playing Basketball and Soccer, Drawing (not great at it, but it's fun), and Browsing the Internet. Oh, and posting on MT of course! :D

JadecloudAlchemist

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Watching cartoons (Thats all I really watch on tv its good for you)
Playing with toys(I like to play with action figures)
Playing Nintendo DS(I like Final Fantasy games and RPG)
Downloading music

and of course all the other grown-up things:boing1:

I can't believe Xue does Yoga:xtrmshock

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
wow!!! you mean not one of you guys ever go fishing:eye-popping: btw i do spend time with the family also,but i like fishing:boing2:

Dude. I LOVE fishing.. The oppertunity rarely presents itself, but if it does I jump at the chance...

Gee...

Years ago, I came across the perfect method of fishing. It's truly back to basics...

Take yourself a cane pole, a bobber, and a small (1 oz or so) sinker. Place the sinker on the end of a line, with the bobber a couple of inches up. Find a nice tree on a pleasant bank, and throw the line in the water. Lean back against the tree, and close your eyes.

When some yahoo comes up to talk... point to the line, and tell 'em they're scaring the fish!

No -- I didn't omit the hook. You might actually catch something and ruin your nap!

Latest Discussions