Nice Day

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
Headed out of the house this morning at 4 AM with my 2 oldest boys to pick up a friend and his son to go fishing. We headed downstate a bit to a beautiful little lake named Mattawamkeag Lake looking for Pickerel and Bass. There are about 25 or 30 houses and cottages around the lake so it can get a bit crowded and is a bit built up for my tastes, but it is the closest bass lake to me. The lake is typical for this area, full of rocks the size of houses. If you don't know the lakes real well, even in 25 feet of water you can have a boulder just under the surface and ruin your whole day. Everybody had a great time and we got off the water about 11:00 after spending about 4 1/2 to 5 hours out there. The lake was picking up with boats (there were 4 or 5 other boats out by then) and we decided it was a good time to get home so my better half could go into work. Plus the fact she gave me a deadline to get back helped :). The boat is an old gal I picked up a while back as a bare hull and have been puttering away at it to get her back on the water. It is a 1958 Lone Star El Dorado and is a pleasure to operate with a gas sipping 60HP on the stern.

Attachments

• $Mattawamkeag Lake1 (Medium).jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 133
  • $Mattawamkeag Lake2.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 162
  • $Mattawamkeag Lake3.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 149

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
EXCELLENT pix...Looks like it was an outstanding day...More great memories your kids will cherish for a longtime to come....

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Looks like an absolutely stunning day and a fantastic time with your boys. :)
Thanks for sharing.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
That is awesome. There is nothing quite like fishing with your kids and they certainly will remember it.
icon14.gif

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bydand, it's been raining constantly here for about a month, including all the way through my fortnight off to watch Wimbledon ... I hate you :p!! :lol:.

Seriously, thank you for sharing that time with us - the place looks beautiful.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Hey, dat der looks lika coupla lakes we got back her. Catchany? Whatchausin? Looks like yer trollin but the bottoms got to be snaggin up the kiddies rods constantly?

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A beautiful looking place to fish or just relax

Enjoy more days like that

OP
bydand

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hey, dat der looks lika coupla lakes we got back her. Catchany? Whatchausin? Looks like yer trollin but the bottoms got to be snaggin up the kiddies rods constantly?

Yep everybody had something tugging on their line at least once. That lake runs 25 to 30' down the middle and makes for some decent trolling for pickerel (as close to a real Northern or Musky as we can get up here). Had a spread of Creek chub pikies, Canadian wigglers, Thundersticks, and Helins Flatfish. The fish picked the pikies and that is what they were using. Kiddos snagged a couple of times, but I know the lake pretty well and stay away from the nasty spots.

Latest Discussions