Beside the martial arts? Do you have other hobbies that you enjoy?

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Many of us do the martial arts for life. But do you also have other hobbies that interest you just as much?

For myself: The art of fishing for "Ulua's". Papio is the Hawaiian name use when under 10 lbs., 10lb and over the Hawaiian name is ULUA. (Jack Trevallys). My biggest is only 76 lbs, and my good friend 103 lbs glad to have been there when he caught this one. Shoreline fishing only.

This fishing is a 24/7 style of fishing, non-stop till you are ready to go home. 4/0 size reels,13 foot poles with the tips the size of your baby fingers,80 lb test line, and 3-4 inch size hooks. 9oz leads use for casting from shoreline. Trips can last for a week. Hawaii's most popular shoreline fishing is the "Ulua" fishing. Today the Ulua fishing poles run about $300.00 a piece or more. Most of us have 2-4 poles each. I cast at least 3 at a time.

This a medcine for us..very relaxing. What are your other hobbies? ...Aloha

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I like snowboarding, cooking (I can cook just about anything. If I can't, I'll find a recipe), gardening, music (listening to and playing drums), and I'm also giving mountain biking a try this summer (got my bike all tuned up and ready to go ... waiting for warm weather LOL).

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
During the Summer months I'm on the Harley and I participate in amature theatre when the weather turns cold..

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
weightlifting, reading, movies, hiking in the woods / nature, time spent with friends and family, learning something new.

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Fly fishing. My quarry are brook trout.
Native fish in my local area are trophy size at 8".
Those from the hatchery average 11".
My icon is a 17" male brook trout, just prior to being released, from Northern Quebec.
My primary tools are a 6', 2 weight and a 7.5', 4 weight.
I tie my own flies.
I fish primarily catch and release.
Please protect your local watershed.

Mike

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mod note:

Thread moved to the Locker Room.

MJS
MT Mod

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I play trombone for my church and am learning to write horn charts. I read and enjoy movies. Outside, I like to hike and camp. On occassion, I'll build a model. I'm teaching myself Japanese.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have alot of other interests. I like pottery. It is very relaxing and stress-reducing to wedge, throw clay on a table or floor to rid it of air bubbles. It is also fun to regress to childhood days and play in the mud. :)

I am training my poodle pup, obedience right now, later we will hopefully progress to agility training and competition. It has weaving poles, boards to walk over, teeter-totter, hoops, tunnels. I think Ninja will be great at it if he stops being so aggressive toward other dogs. At 6 lbs too.

I also like to hook rugs, make quilts, crochet, make scrapbooks-something I put off until my kids were grown! I collect stuff too--colored bottles, v, birdhouses, and now Hagen-Renaker ceramic horses, something I did as a child but all were broken. I seem to be collecting alot of MA equipment too.

I like to ride horses. I would like to own one but two dogs and two birds are enough for me. I like kayaking which I discovered in Kauai a few years ago. I like hiking, also in Kauai around their "grand canyon" it was fabulous. We have some great biking trails and thats fun also. I like Bluegrass music festivals but don't play an instrument. Maybe someday.

I like drawing and watercolor. I will paint my deceased poodle soon to add to my collection now that the patio furniture is out of the shed. Turpentine vapors get overpowering in the house. Should have done it while she was alive. I used to do alot of pet portrait oil painting. I would like to get into more landscape oil painting though.

So, not enough time, especially to sit on the computer. :) TW

HKphooey

Senior Master
Reaction score
Snowboarding, mountain biking, hiking, surfing, 4-wheel'n in my Jeep, frisbee with my dog, golf, drawing, home improvement.

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I LOVE to race! Ya know, the 1320 (1/4 mile), though I'd like to try my hand at track style (road racing). I don't get to do it often because I'm exactly 100 miles between the three tracks nearest me and the fact that I spend most of my time getting my boys (Larry, Moe and Curly) into different things so they can find what they like to do.

songe-d-automne

White Belt
Reaction score
This is going to sound very strange. I dress in black and take Martial Arts but...I collect My Little Pony toys and porcelain flowers and I go to Bingo every Thursday. I also draw, paint, cross-stitch, embroider and sew also but have not done any of these in a long time because of divorce crap taking over my free time, ugh...:erg:

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I camp with my family. My husband, sons, and I go target-shooting with our firearms. I also enjoy caving (MA-Caver goes with me). I weightlift and play sports. My latest hobby is customizing my 1:18 diecast cars.

- Ceicei

BrandiJo

Master of Arts
Reaction score
i swim, bike ride and work (ok i work at a day care i love my job :) )

green meanie

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I have to say I don't really have any. I like to read and I do a little of that when I have a chance but... wrestling / boxing / ju jitsu is pretty much the only thing I do. I don't know if that's a good thing or not.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Read sf novels, crochet, cross-stitch (somehow these two always seem to be a surprise to my TKD students), improve my house, and play with my dog.

MartialIntent

Black Belt
Reaction score
I've just started into my third novel though am still hopelessly trying to get my last one published - and the first is in the trash!

I volunteer some time once a week to teach fine-art [oil painting] to prisoners and twice a month in a local foundation to teach basic computer skills to kids and young people with physical and mental disabilities.

I'm continually developing my nightly lucid-dreaming abilities and techniques - lucid dreams being those for which you can train yourself to realize you're dreaming [awakening] while you're in the dream. It's absolutely fascinating, intriguing and frighteningly nightmarish stuff and I'm absolutely addicted to it!

Oh, and I've developed the slightly sadistic hobby of dog-worrying while cycling with my bar-mounted Dazer, my Cold-Steel Sjambok and my water bottle filled with half-water/half-vinegar [and maybe a sprinkle of cayenne pepper to taste]. I used to adore dogs until one afternoon as a teen riding home from school, an un-leashed Japanese Aikita took a few inches off my hand and the tip of my pinkie, just to prove who was tougher I guess. I certainly don't hate all dogs but there are many obnoxious and dangerous dogs round my way - I'm suspicious of every last one with a tooth in his head and nowadays, any dog seeking to declare a territory war with me while I'm riding to or from work has to ask himself one question...

Respects!

Henderson

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Other than reading and hangin' out with my kids.....No. I have no hobbies. My life is so pitifully boring. :waah:

Latest Discussions