What's the thing that annoys you the most with some martial arts?

S

superdave

Guest
Skinny white boys who pretend they are Japanese Karate masters really annoy the pants off of me. They usually seem to take everything way to seriously. I can understand they're proud of what their doing, but christ man, be yourself.

What annoys you about martial arts?
Everyone has something that bugs them, not everyone admits it though.

Let the flaming begin!:D
 

spatulahunter

Green Belt
Joined
Jan 11, 2004
Messages
157
Reaction score
2
Location
portland
YOU! stop insulting us cracka *** white boy karate masters or we will whoop your ***!:D :D :D

I would have to say all the adds in IKF and similar magazines for things like the speedman, super muscle supplements, and magical magnetic qi. Come on if these super secrets and supplements have been around and used for centuries then why has no one heard of them before they came out in your ad for $99.99.

Whatever good thing you have someone is gonna come along and try and make it stupid.
 

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Joined
Aug 29, 2001
Messages
13,460
Reaction score
730
Location
Athol, Ma. USA
first keep it polite even when jokeing thanks

now one of my pet peeves is the local idiot that claims to have studied and is always showing off his / her techniques trying to impress those that dont know anything. Or better till trying to impress those that do know something.
 
OP
S

superdave

Guest
Another thing that really irks me, is when people trash other styles and systems, they don't have any knowledge of. Lots of people form opinions based on second hand information.:eek:
 
OP
R

rmcrobertson

Guest
1. The incessant claims that so-and-so, "trains the Navy's SEALS," or whoever else it happens to be in special forces;

2. The incessant claims that this and only this style/instructor REALLY understands, "combat," out there, "on the street;"

3. The incessant claims that this and only this instructor REALLY got the TRUE secrets of {insert name of martial art here}, because only {insert name here} was the true son and heir of {insert name here};

4. The long, long lists of all the 93 arts that this particular 29-year-old has mastered;

5. The claims that this and only this instructor had the sense to add {fill in name here} to their weak and incomplete original art, making everything perfect;

6. The rants about THIS art's having done away with the unnecessary frills--like forms, sets, techniques--so that you can just learn the essence of TRUE COMBAT;

7. The extended explanations of why YOU TOO can skip over all that messy, time-consuming, tiring, ache-inducing and potentially a bit hazardous actual training and practice;

8. Any mention whatsoever of Bruce Lee.
 
OP
B

bob919

Guest
Originally posted by rmcrobertson
1. The incessant claims that so-and-so, "trains the Navy's SEALS," or whoever else it happens to be in special forces;

2. The incessant claims that this and only this style/instructor REALLY understands, "combat," out there, "on the street;"

3. The incessant claims that this and only this instructor REALLY got the TRUE secrets of {insert name of martial art here}, because only {insert name here} was the true son and heir of {insert name here};

4. The long, long lists of all the 93 arts that this particular 29-year-old has mastered;

5. The claims that this and only this instructor had the sense to add {fill in name here} to their weak and incomplete original art, making everything perfect;

6. The rants about THIS art's having done away with the unnecessary frills--like forms, sets, techniques--so that you can just learn the essence of TRUE COMBAT;

7. The extended explanations of why YOU TOO can skip over all that messy, time-consuming, tiring, ache-inducing and potentially a bit hazardous actual training and practice;

8. Any mention whatsoever of Bruce Lee.

yeh bruce lee himself was good but now i see people saying thet they teach bruce lees style and stuff but really they just made wingchun look more western
 

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Joined
Aug 29, 2001
Messages
13,460
Reaction score
730
Location
Athol, Ma. USA
6 to 13 year old black belts
children calling adults by their first name.
Junior students calling older and or senior students by their first name
Disrespect in almost any form
New age kata being done outside of a stage performance.(yes I know this one will get flack but its my grip)
Traditional stylest doing non traditional forms in compitition
 
OP
A

Acronym

Guest
I hate it when little kids who watch to much DBZ and think that they can shoot chi balls from their hands that can explode cars.

I also hate Virtual Tougn Guys and the like.
 
OP
M

MountainSage

Guest
I with shadowchaser, baby black belt set me off. Being in WTF TKD I have seen quite a few over the years. I usually tell the little snots to run back to their mommies and get their noses wipe. Had one little punk give me lip about rank, some under 4 foot, 50lb. runt lipping off to a 6'2", 285 lb. adult. I told his master to get him out of my sight or I'd send him home in pieces, I was slightly irritated.

Mountainsage
 

Marginal

Senior Master
Joined
Jul 7, 2002
Messages
3,276
Reaction score
66
Location
Colorado
Originally posted by superdave

What annoys you about martial arts?
Everyone has something that bugs them, not everyone admits it though.

Let the flaming begin!:D

Guys that go around claiming that they're "eternal white belts".

Yeah yeah, there's always more to learn, but does that really mean you know NOTHING?

People proud of being humble to the point that they take pains to remind you at very opportunity just how humble they are. (Seems at odds somehow.)
 

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Joined
Jun 21, 2003
Messages
30,187
Reaction score
428
Location
Cromwell,CT
1- People that are not open to other arts-(Being closed minded)

2- People who think that their art is "THE ART"

3- People who dont realize that all arts are different and that if one art chooses not to included kata, that it is still a good art.

4- People who do the same art as you, but because you dont have the same Inst. they think that their Inst. is the best.

5- Kids that are young, 8yo for example running around with a black belt that just may have 2 or 3 stripes on it.

Mike
 
OP
L

LadyDragon

Guest
One of my personal pet peeves is someone who like to give out a beating, but can't take one. They love to work out with you because they know they can pretty much kick the snot out of you, but when its time to return the favor, they find a way to back out of it some how. Always remember, what goes around, comes around.
 

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Joined
Jan 21, 2003
Messages
8,073
Reaction score
170
Location
79 Wistful Vista
Bragadocio, ego above and beyond the call. Folks that think their skills make them super human and above common courtesy.
 

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Joined
Aug 13, 2002
Messages
5,493
Reaction score
50
Location
East Texas
Yes, the bravado of some of these guys who come into my school is embarasing. I can't stand it when someone comes in and explains that they are a master at some 15 different arts and have developed their own true system, at age 21 no doubt.

Or beter yet, the guys who tell me they are on their way to the courthouse to register themselves as deadly weapons!!

7sm
 

spatulahunter

Green Belt
Joined
Jan 11, 2004
Messages
157
Reaction score
2
Location
portland
Originally posted by 7starmantis

Or beter yet, the guys who tell me they are on their way to the courthouse to register themselves as deadly weapons!!

7sm

ive heard people say that before also and ive wondered is there any truth/need for that? because i do know that whether or not you are a martial artist can come into play in court
 

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Joined
Apr 17, 2002
Messages
7,161
Reaction score
129
Location
At an OP in view of your house...
Originally posted by spatulahunter
ive heard people say that before also and ive wondered is there any truth/need for that? because i do know that whether or not you are a martial artist can come into play in court

There is no truth to registering your hands. However, no matter what you study or no matter how skilled you are (or aren't), if you seriously hurt someone and are brought up on charges, the prosecuting attorney can decide to paint the picture of you as a deadly weapon who could have used less force. Now that is the reality. :cool:
 

Latest Discussions

Top