Does your family understand what you do?

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well, as far as TKD goes- not completely (specifically my mom). My mom is afraid I'll get hurt somehow, one of my brother's joke with me, but that's the way he is, my dad doesn't really say much, and the same goes for my oldest brother (although he did do some KSW in the past). My parents don't know anything about ba gua, other than it's somewhat similar to tai chi...

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My husband usually refers to it all as "karate" which was okay in the beginning cause that is what myself and the girls were doing. He didn't understand it then, and still doesn't. He has never stepped foot on a mat.

He is an avid competitive shooter and could talk shooting over and over and over and over and over and over and over...well you get the drift.

I, being the better half of the marraige, decided to start shooting so I could learn what he is passionate about. :D I found out that I love it, it is a lot of fun and now all four of us shoot air rifle with my hubby shooting long range as well.

However, when it comes to the talking over and over and over...I am like Geocad's wife. My eyes glaze over and well....it makes a good lullabye :D

Phoenix44

Master of Arts
Reaction score
My partner and our kids are all martial artists. My parents, on the other hand, ask me every time I see them, "Are you still doing karate?"

It's been 11 years, now...

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am very lucky in that even as a kid when I wanted to try a MA, my father went out and looked long and hard to find a school for me to go to. The bad news was that there were none within a reasonable drive. When we moved to a different city a few years later, he never forgot and did manage to find an instructor for me to try. He had never been interested in MA's at all, but as an ex-cop he saw the benifits of the arts. Now after a winding and somewhat erratic path in the arts, he is still right there at every promotion along with my Mother and the best part is that my Brother now owns his own MA school and along with my wife and 2 oldest kids we get to train together every week. As does my nephew. So yeah, my family "got" it and do understand what it is that draws me to train.

Em MacIntosh

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
My mom has a problem with the way I train but she's used to it. Mind you, we spar full contact, no equipment. My mom's used to seeing us go to the backyard and bust each other up for half an hour. She don't like it though. I think she wanted me to be handsome or something.