Why most martial arts don't work in self defense.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It is not the point. If I go to a school that says it can make me fight bears. Then I want to be able to fight bears.

Not a school that says I will probably not be attacked by one.

I mean seriously I don't spend time and money to probably not get in a fight. I could do that for free.
your using increasingly bizare arguments

lets look at this from the reverse angle, are you telling me that if i moved 12000 miles and signed on at your class, that you guarantee that i will be able to deal with big guys throwing mean punches

you cant be, as that would mean your doing the same exaggeration as your accusing others of.

if by following your model i get knocked out, just the same as using my current karate model then i have gained precisely nothing from the switch. if its not a particularly big guy throwing not particularly mean punches then i can deal with it quite easily using my current skills

nb being better able but still getting knocked out is no benefit what so ever, i may as well go down on the first punch as the 5th the out come is the same and ive saved the air fare

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
your using increasingly bizare arguments

lets look at this from the reverse angle, are you telling me that if i moved 12000 miles and signed on at your class, that you guarantee that i will be able to deal with big guys throwing mean punches

you cant be, as that would mean your doing the same exaggeration as your accusing others of.

if by following your model i get knocked out, just the same as using my current karate model then i have gained precisely nothing from the switch. if its not a particularly big guy throwing not particularly mean punches then i can deal with it quite easily using my current skills

nb being better able but still getting knocked out is no benefit what so ever, i may as well go down on the first punch as the 5th the out come is the same and ive saved the air fare

So bike helmets and seat belts are not worth the effort Because they are not 100% successful?

And that justifies selling an ice cream bucket as a bike helmet?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
This is why it bothers me a lot when someone said, "If you want to fight, buy yourself a gun."

What if in some foreign country that firearm is not allowed?

That and the complete lack of understanding about proportionate force.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
So bike helmets and seat belts are not worth the effort Because they are not 100% successful?

And that justifies selling an ice cream bucket as a bike helmet?
cant we have a sensible discussion with out you throwing daft analogies.

as a point of order seat belts and helmets, sans some major flaw and with a bit of maintenance work exactly as designed one hundred % of the time, machines tend to do that, where as people are a lot less reliable

if they dont work, its because the impact is outside of their design brief

there design is to cope with ''minor bangs, which make up the vast majority of all the accidents, if your driving flat out into fixed/heavy objects they tend to help not at all, hence airbags, which themselves have a limit.

so we can run with this, wearing a seat belt is like learning self defence, it will only work to its design, that being dependent not only on the technique but on your ability to use it

i expect my karate skills to work not all, if i dont put in the work on fitness, i expect them to be devastating on all the people am substantial fitter than, which is the biggest % of the population and not at all if im attacked by dontay wilders minder, which is the equivalent of running flat out into a concrete barrier

Last edited:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No it doesn't teach any unrealistic scenarios. There could be like infinite scenarios and attacker could attack you in infinite number of ways and you need to use your training when it happens and improvise. Im new to nogi and loving it.
Someone here turned me on to BJJHQ.com. I just watch for a good deal on something I want, and get it there. Their sister site MMAHQ.com also frequently offers no-gi gear (rashguards, spats, etc.). With each of these, they sell one thing a day, for just that day (or until it sells out), so you have to check daily.

Last edited by a moderator:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
No it doesn't teach any unrealistic scenarios. There could be like infinite scenarios and attacker could attack you in infinite number of ways and you need to use your training when it happens and improvise. Im new to nogi and loving it.

Those infinite scenarios break down in to a much smaller number of concepts though.

Latest Discussions