Annoying martial arts friend

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
So does anyone else this annoying friend who does nothing but tell you everything about their style and how good they are. I have a friend who's a really nice guy and he does Muay Thai but Is literally constantly trying to teach everyone about it and he's only been doing it like 3 weeks now. I mean there's nothing wrong with being enthusiastic but he's constantly telling other people what they're doing wrong in their martial arts how we should train like him. It's like dude great you've found something you like but you keep talking like this you're going to get challenged. Keep your mouth shut and no one will bother you

MAfreak

Purple Belt
Reaction score
challenge him. :) friendly sparring and show him that he's still a beginner.

OP
Kickboxer101

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
challenge him. :) friendly sparring and show him that he's still a beginner.

I probably will end up doing that he's asked to spar with me on a football pitch a few times but I turned it down because I'm not a fan of unsantpctioned sparring especially against a beginner who won't have much self control and already thinks he's the reincarnation of Bruce lee haha but if he doesn't shut up I'll consider it haha

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Taunt him like the French atop the castle.

If he doesn't stop, taunt him a second time.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
This situation is no different than what other people do when they get super excited about something. They just go on and on about it, as if it's the best thing in the world. I have family members like this when football season comes around. Instead of going against the grain, ask him to show some techniques to you. He may calm down faster once he feels that you have acknowledge him by listening.

I'm not against a friendly sparring match, but the sparring match has to be about learning, and not about proving him wrong.

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
So does anyone else this annoying friend who does nothing but tell you everything about their style and how good they are. I have a friend who's a really nice guy and he does Muay Thai but Is literally constantly trying to teach everyone about it and he's only been doing it like 3 weeks now. I mean there's nothing wrong with being enthusiastic but he's constantly telling other people what they're doing wrong in their martial arts how we should train like him. It's like dude great you've found something you like but you keep talking like this you're going to get challenged. Keep your mouth shut and no one will bother you

3 weeks? wow he is a still a fetus! I would love to have a friend like yours though, most of my friends are either weight lifters or gamers, none of them are martial artists so I am pretty much alone in all of my martial arts antics. There are the people at the dojo of course but we have no friendship outside of the dojo.

He may seem annoying, but my point is count your blessings and be thankful you have a friend who shares your interest in martial arts.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
3 weeks? wow he is a still a fetus! I would love to have a friend like yours though, most of my friends are either weight lifters or gamers, none of them are martial artists so I am pretty much alone in all of my martial arts antics. There are the people at the dojo of course but we have no friendship outside of the dojo.

He may seem annoying, but my point is count your blessings and be thankful you have a friend who shares your interest in martial arts.
It's amazing that a person can get their friends to join them in weight lifting or a video game, or any other activity, but they all run away when you invite them to go train martial arts lol.

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's amazing that a person can get their friends to join them in weight lifting or a video game, or any other activity, but they all run away when you invite them to go train martial arts lol.

One of my friends told another friend of mine that he wants to train and get in better shape again, and improve on his stlye. So my friend told him to train with me and he said "I don't want to die I just want to get better."

This is of course ridiculous because for one, I am not going really hurt someone sparring, it's sparring not a fight. And two, people need to be willing to accept that martial arts has risks, you will get hit, you will get bruised ect.

It's like football, you play you will get tackled. Many people are too afraid of martial arts but we know how to pull punches and not use full force. The fear is irrational.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

See, that means that YOU have the opportunity to be that annoying martial arts friend. :)

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
One of my friends told another friend of mine that he wants to train and get in better shape again, and improve on his stlye. So my friend told him to train with me and he said "I don't want to die I just want to get better."
I guess you'll have to stop showing your videos of you punching the heavy bag lol.

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
I guess you'll have to stop showing your videos of you punching the heavy bag lol.

Yeah probably, if they think I would hit them as hard as the bag though they are mistaken. I would spar with mike tyson and I am willing to bet he would not kill me, because he wouldn't try to, it is just sparring. He would kick my *** all over the ring sure because he is far more experienced then me but I would still do it to learn from the experience.

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yeah probably, if they think I would hit them as hard as the bag though they are mistaken. I would spar with mike tyson and I am willing to bet he would not kill me, because he wouldn't try to, it is just sparring. He would kick my *** all over the ring sure because he is far more experienced then me but I would still do it to learn from the experience.
Any other boxer and I would agree. But Tyson would kill you just cuz he can :D

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
He'll try really hard not to kill you. Once you get to a certain level of being able to generate power, you'll be amazed that what feels really soft to you is really hard to someone else. My forearms are really conditioned so when I work with beginners I have to almost treat them as if I'm playing with a baby. Sometimes student hurt themselves when they hit me which is still crazy to me lol. I also have to do baby touches in sparring as well. Some of my punches just fly off with ease as if I'm not doing anything, but in reality the punch has a lot more power than I think. I always think my punches are too weak even when I'm punching hard.

oaktree

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Just say thank you for your input and thinking about me, however I feel I am better doing it this way, if I need you I'll ask.
When I was learning Taijiquan, many homeless people would come up to us and tell me I'm doing it wrong and I should do it this way, I smiled and thanked them and they went their way.

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just say thank you for your input and thinking about me, however I feel I am better doing it this way, if I need you I'll ask.
When I was learning Taijiquan, many homeless people would come up to us and tell me I'm doing it wrong and I should do it this way, I smiled and thanked them and they went their way.

Where were you guys training at? Anyway the rule of thumb is that if someone is homeless then that means they are great at kung fu. Ever see a chinese kung fu movie? The homeless guy is always kung fu master that is full of wisdom.

oaktree

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Where were you guys training at? Anyway the rule of thumb is that if someone is homeless then that means they are great at kung fu. Ever see a chinese kung fu movie? The homeless guy is always kung fu master that is full of wisdom.
Trained in Miami in the park downtown. I use to work over night get off at 5 am sleep under a tree till 7am when my teacher would come then train.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Trained in Miami in the park downtown. I use to work over night get off at 5 am sleep under a tree till 7am when my teacher would come then train.
So from an outsider, you looked like the homeless man telling people their kung fu is bad

Latest Discussions