Annoying martial arts friend

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Just say thank you for your input and thinking about me, however I feel I am better doing it this way, if I need you I'll ask.
When I was learning Taijiquan, many homeless people would come up to us and tell me I'm doing it wrong and I should do it this way, I smiled and thanked them and they went their way.
That would have been entertaining to see.

Azulx

Black Belt
Reaction score
I have an acquaintance that trained at an MMA gym for about a year, and really crap talks TKD. A couple friends and I take it at my university and he always trying to get them to quit. This is because "we are not equipped to defend ourselves." He frequently asks ridiculous questions such as, what if I have you in a choke hold on the ground what would you do? Or what happens if the guy attacking you takes you to the ground? The usual BJJ can beat anything guy. I let him talk, and never challenge him . I know that it won't be friendly. He'll be trying to hurt me , to prove something dumb. I don't really mess with people with big egos, they can be reckless and dangerous.

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have an acquaintance that trained at an MMA gym for about a year, and really crap talks TKD. A couple friends and I take it at my university and he always trying to get them to quit. This is because "we are not equipped to defend ourselves." He frequently asks ridiculous questions such as, what if I have you in a choke hold on the ground what would you do? Or what happens if the guy attacking you takes you to the ground? The usual BJJ can beat anything guy. I let him talk, and never challenge him . I know that it won't be friendly. He'll be trying to hurt me , to prove something dumb. I don't really mess with people with big egos, they can be reckless and dangerous.
\

I recommend you spar against him and kick his ***, people change their tune real quick when they lose. and bjj can't beat everything, many judo guys for example beat them all the time lol.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
\

I recommend you spar against him and kick his ***, people change their tune real quick when they lose. and bjj can't beat everything, many judo guys for example beat them all the time lol.

Or, win or lose, you could turn a friend into a life-long enemy. Really depends on the people involved ...and how important it is for each of you to be proven "right".

I stopped caring about being right all the time years ago. Saved my marriage ;)

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
\

Fully disagree. Arguments over MA are minor annoyances. Sparring matches in this vein (especially if they're desperate to prove their right) will always end with at least one person humiliated, possibly end with at least one person badly hurt and the other in trouble with P. Safety, or possibly end with at least one of the two people hating the other.

Azulx

Black Belt
Reaction score
Or, win or lose, you could turn a friend into a life-long enemy. Really depends on the people involved ...and how important it is for each of you to be proven "right".

I stopped caring about being right all the time years ago. Saved my marriage ;)

That's the thing I have nothing to prove. I don't like sparring people with a win or lose mentality. It isn't the purpose of sparring. Win or lose is the purpose of fighting. To win o=money, to win one's freedom, to win one's life etc. Fighting for me should only be done if absolutely necessary, pleasing a UFC fan boy isn't enough for me to risk injuring myself or him. If I was to fight him and I win, what does that prove? That I can beat up an under-trained wannabe UFC fighter. If I lose than I have to hear a whole **** storm about how TKD and TMA don't work etc. etc. It just is not worth my time.

Azulx

Black Belt
Reaction score
We were at a Crawfish boil last weekend and this guy got into a debate with one of my buddies who's a 4th dan in TKD and a marine. They basically got into who can kick who's *** debate. Then they wanted my opinion and it was simply this: Y'all are both trained fighters, I don't know what y'all are capable of, y'all are each one mistake away from each other getting knocked out or choked out. Finally why the F does it matter?

RTKDCMB

Senior Master
Reaction score
We were at a Crawfish boil last weekend and this guy got into a debate with one of my buddies who's a 4th dan in TKD and a marine. They basically got into who can kick who's *** debate. Then they wanted my opinion and it was simply this: Y'all are both trained fighters, I don't know what y'all are capable of, y'all are each one mistake away from each other getting knocked out or choked out. Finally why the F does it matter?
If they want to know who would win just say Chuck Norris would win even if he is not the one who is fighting. :)

Latest Discussions