Whats a black belt to you

hkfuie

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Yes, it is just a piece of cloth. But since I got my BB 10 years ago, I have moved away and trained in some different arts. For me, it is a symbol of my connection to my first instructor and his instructors. We don't let our belts touch the ground, not as respect for the cloth, but out of respect for the tradition we are part of. I really liked my first instructor and still communiate with him and still consider him my instructor. I have so much respect for the people I know through that school and treating the belt with respect is simply a way I keep them and what I learned from them close to me.

Good question! I have enjoyed reading everyone's responses.

F

foggymorning162

The first time I read this thread I wasn't sure if I wanted to share this as it is very personal to me but I think the members here are an extension of my MA family so I have decided to share. One of our federation requirements is a letter to the Master Belt Panel on What it would mean to me to be a Black Belt. So here goes, this was my letter.

WHAT IT MEANS TO ME TO BE A BLACK BELT

What would it mean to me to become a black belt? I have trained for three and a half years towards the goal of “BLACK BELT” and now that it is almost in sight, how could this one simple question seem harder than the training?

Becoming a black belt would mean the respect of my peers but if I deserve it than I should have earned it by now and if I have not then simply putting on the belt won’t entitle me to it. It would mean instant respect from those who are walking in to the dojang and just meeting me for the first time, but am I deserving of that respect and can I keep it through my actions. It would mean that I had finally reached that goal, but another has already been set. After you reach black belt you don’t just stop you strive towards the next goal.

For me “black belt” has always been more of a spiritual ideal, I grew up watching David Carradine and wanting to be “Grasshopper”. To achieve that level of patience and selflessness the inner peace. This has proven an unattainable goal, and yet the students I teach don’t know that I get angry when I get cut off in traffic or that I sometimes want to use my supervisor as an uki, just as growing up I didn’t know David Carradine would sell out to yellow book. So what does becoming a black belt mean to me? It means showing those kids “if I can do it you can too”, it means going on to learn new things so I can teach it to them. It also means knowing that I can still learn from them and having them as part of my training is a blessing. Becoming a black belt would mean that at least my instructors think I have gotten closer to that unattainable goal, even if I don’t see it myself.

When I first started as a white belt I couldn’t wait to get to black, but now I find that the journey means more to me than the belt, that as long as I can keep training, learning new things teaching others and being a part of the Cheezic Tang Soo Do family my rank doesn’t matter. If I can touch just one child’s life and help them to become stronger and more self confident and if I can instill in them a desire to do the same for others, then maybe I have attained the unattainable. Then, maybe I will truly deserve to be a “BLACK BELT”

Misty Sherman

Danjo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
For me “black belt” has always been more of a spiritual ideal, I grew up watching David Carradine and wanting to be “Grasshopper”. To achieve that level of patience and selflessness the inner peace. This has proven an unattainable goal, and yet the students I teach don’t know that I get angry when I get cut off in traffic or that I sometimes want to use my supervisor as an uki, just as growing up I didn’t know David Carradine would sell out to yellow book.
Misty Sherman

I loved those Yellow Book ads.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
A black belt means several things.
First, it indicates you have a solid indication of the basics of your art. It does not mean you're an expert, but that now you are ready for more advanced knowledge.

Second, it it means you are now an official face of your style and organization. People don't care about green belts or brown belts. But most people are familiar with black belts and the amount of dedication it takes to earn one. Therefore, a black belt is watched closely by his peers and the lay public as a representative of the art and organization.

Third, it means instructors in your organization thought enough of you to feel you earned the right to wear one. That's a heavy responsibility. You should NEVER treat your belt as simply a piece of cloth. Symbolically it is much more than that.
Took the words right out of my mouth.

The black belt represents proficiency in the basics and is a proficient figher, and that the student is ready for more advanced learning.

Daniel

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A saying I've pinched off a thread on wise sayings on Iain Abernethy's forum because I like it . . .. . 'a black belt is a white belt who never gave up'

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The same as any of my belts, they are something I have earned and if I do not keep training something I will loose as well. Not in being taken away but the skill will go.

Danjo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The same as any of my belts, they are something I have earned and if I do not keep training something I will loose as well. Not in being taken away but the skill will go.

Yeah, it's either a symbol of what you are or what you were.

jarl

White Belt
Reaction score
I've practiced, taught and played Judo since 1967. The belt, the rank?
Kano said they were to display attainment of goals, originally short term. the advent of Tae Kwon Do marketing in the US threw a spin on that.
In judo we roll on the mat wearing our belts, we take them off to jump over them when practicing ukemi and in my dojo we make circles on the mat with them for sumo matches. Is this disrespectful? I don't know.
Is the belt really as important as it might be if you didn't have to pay the sensei for the test to get it?
What does it mean to you when someone asks you your rank; what belt are you? Make that someone who practices no martial art!
When someone new comes to my dojo they expect the teacher to have a black belt as they probably do at any dojo. So as far as I'm concerned my black belt better enables me to do what I love; teach.

Shicomm

Purple Belt
Reaction score
To me it's a symbol , a sign above the road that never ends.
There were signs before but this one is a bit bigger then others :)

It's a reminder as well to the feelings and emotions that came along the way.

In fact I think having a black belt on can be a bit of a pain in the **** sometimes, it means when I'm training with the new guys in class, they expect me to do everything perfectly while the reality is I'm just as much of a student as anyone else there and still regularly make mistakes.
Totally agree with that.