interesting throws

roberts91

White Belt
Reaction score
im always eager to learn new techniques from different arts and i learned a new throw that is extreamly effective. its a hip throw but instead of putting your arm around their waist you have a hold of their belt. you grab their punching arm after you black and step in like a normal throw. you will probably want them off balance or soft from a few blows. then you reach your open arm over their shoulder (same shoulder as the arm you have a hold of.) and grab their belt or what ever on their waist line. put your hip out and throw them over your hip. dont let go though. follow them to the ground by sitting and keep a hold of their arm to put it in an arm bar. it works wonders but it isnt very effective if you have more than one opponent around you.

thardey

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I like that throw, as well, but it doesn't work as well on somebody taller than you. I like it because it actually is a strike - the ground is your weapon. If you do it full speed, your opponent will be about 3 feet in the air and spinning. A fall from that height, if they don't know how to fall, can do serious damage.

If you leave off the arm bar at the end, this could be a useful tech for multiple attackers - it doesn't take long to do, it really is very simple, if not simple to type, and your can drop the guy on the ground without being tangled up with him. Just let go after the throw.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Judo has about 60 major throws....yet each one can be modified to fit you.....

One of our Sensi came from old school training...as time went on...his throws became slightly different from his early training. He teaches the Judo way...then show his way that he found work better for him!

And lets all the students know the correct way or Judo way...and let them make a few adjustments to fit there body styles. (for the more advance students)

Aloha ( tossing is it just as usefully as throwning?) ..UM?

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That is interesting, because your center is actually higher than their center on that throw - it has to be, if your arm is over their shoulder. I'd call that a throw based on strength rather than technique - it won't work for everyone.

Latest Discussions