Old/Retired belts

Rick Wade

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I carry them with me every time I go to class or even think that I may work out. This is to remind me of where I came from and to have patience with others because other have had patience with me. I have all of my belt with the exception of Purple I had a student that I promoted and I gave him my belt. I feel that If you really belive in a student and you abilities don't wait till black belt to give him or her yopur belt.

V/R
Rick

mj-hi-yah

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Gary Crawford said:
My instructors took my old belt every time I was promoted.I never recieved a used belt so I have no idea what they did with the old ones.My kids and my wife are Teakwondo students,so they get to keep all of their belts.We have them all displayed in the trophy room.
Same thing the tooth fairy does with all the teeth! :D I displayed my son's in his room on an engraved rack, I will always keep my black belt the rest I donated to the tooth fairy. :)

Gin-Gin

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've been planning to buy a rack to hold them, but haven't had time/money yet....right now they're on a shelf in my bedroom. Every time I see them I remember how much time and sweat went into preparing for each one...and I feel good.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
No Joke...

I tied my Futon Frame back together with mine.

In my art we have no real emphasis on belt rank... only 3 colors... White Green Black... so I don't neccessarily consider them treasures.

I only wear my current belt to seminars, never in class. :idunno:

bushi jon

Green Belt
Reaction score
I have passed my belts down to my son and then he has passed them down to his little brother( they are all ten times bigger then needed) every time My sons move up in rank it brings a tear to my eye seeing them use my old belts all faded and dirty

Rick Wade

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Technopunk said:
No Joke...

I tied my Futon Frame back together with mine.

In my art we have no real emphasis on belt rank... only 3 colors... White Green Black... so I don't neccessarily consider them treasures.

I only wear my current belt to seminars, never in class. :idunno:

I have heard it before but have no proof that the colored belt system is an american thing because of capatolism. The original way belts were was they started out white and through training they got darker and darker with dirt and blood because they were never washed. I think that would be cool with the exception most people in the US don't train outside or very hard compaired to the way they trained back under say Mas Oyama.

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
actually the kyu/dan system was invented by Jigoro Kano for his judo students....

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've kept all of mine. I used to display them, but I haven't for years. I like the idea of pasing them on to students. I think I'll do that when the time comes.

stone_dragone

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I keep all of my old belts, and when I finally have a permanent structure to teach out of, I will display the belts in the art that I teach and probably any black belt that I have earned in separate styles, but I'm not sure yet.

My two cents

ginshun

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I give mine back to my instructor when I get a new belt. They are then recycled to the next person who is promoted to that particular rank, either that or they just sit in his stash of belts.

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
My old belts hang folded up on a rope in the attic. Since I started training in a second art some time ago I have had the opportunity use some of them a second time. It feels like going to the dojo with old friends again:)

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, In our schools the Instructors have a special way of tying them with the knot in the middle. Purpose is to lock your knowledge in them, if they ever get untie...bring them back anytime for retying.

Keep them in a drawer...........Aloha

Latest Discussions