Whats a black belt to you

tigress

White Belt
Reaction score
I agree that it's an accomplishment.

At the end of the day though, its just a piece of cloth. I think it depends on how well you know the art and skill.

It also depends on the school you go to, one of my college friends said he used to take a martial arts class and they handed belts out every month. I think they might have been in it for the money. :(

ganglian

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I have always wondered what does a black belt of any belt mean to you. Many people i have met take there belt seriously, they dont let it touch the ground dont leave it anywhere where they cant grab it fast. Others believe its just a piece of material that holds your gi top together or holds your pants up. I was just curious what everyone else thought

An answer and an observation that some systems dont bother with belts at all.

But.. to me, it means you have learned the basic foundation and are ready start really learning.

Jimi

Black Belt
Reaction score
I understand & respect someone honoring a tradition of Belt rank ritual. I see others who do not care about belt rank or its traditions and that is their privilege to hold their own opinion. I just wonder how many people involved in commercial martial arts believe that the BLACK BELT rank is a thousand years old. More than we will hear from about it I bet. I have been at commercial martial arts schools where both parents and children alike believe (Usually from a school manager or head instructor) that the forms & belt ranks have been time honored for centuries. How old is the BLACK BELT rank? Many will answer differently, but those who think BB rank is a time honored thousand year old tradition have been mislead. BTW, I hold BB rank in TKD, Kenpo & Even Bando. A Black Belt in (ABA) Bando means nothing to those who practiced Thaing a thousand years ago. The Thai vilagers who were over-run by the Burmese in Ayuthaya did not ask for Belt Rank or Certificates to tell who was to be respected or feared. The skills speak for themselves. In the states people do want to use Black Belt rank as an intimidation or fear factor. I just don't like seeing some people hide behind belt rank for their opinions etc... A Black Belt can be very respectable, people just should not let their desire for it consume them. It's like the riddle of steel from Conan the barbarian. Which is stronger, steel or the flesh & blood that weilds it? Similar here, which is stronger, the Black Belt or the person wearing it? Not against BB rank, just don't like what some do to sell it or be bowed down to etc...No disrespect intended. PEACE

swiftpete

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Wow I'm surprised by the amount of people here that won't let their belt touch the floor and bowing to it etc. That seems crazy to me. It's just part of your kit, mine gets chucked into my gym bag with the rest of my stuff.

In fact I think having a black belt on can be a bit of a pain in the **** sometimes, it means when I'm training with the new guys in class, they expect me to do everything perfectly while the reality is I'm just as much of a student as anyone else there and still regularly make mistakes.

girlbug2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
When I was training in American Kenpo I fully expected that by now I would have taken my BB test and passed it. However, due to the best laid plans of mice and men my training was cut short at green belt level. Looking back on that, I realize that I idolized that black belt inappropriately. I thought that somehow it would magically transfer some kind of dignity and class to me once I obtained it.

Now that I have taken the level 1 Krav Maga test I see a belt differently, since we do not normally wear our belts in training. I realize two things: one, that each and every belt level test is the most difficult thing I will ever do outside of labor -- and that does say something about the character of somebody who has done it six times to get to black; two, that one's level of skill and dedication is what shows in training, not belt rank. I no longer idolize the belt itself, but I do realize more concretely what is behind getting there and my respect has increased for the warrior spirit it represents.

So when I get to black some day, I will cherish it, you can bet. Probably I won't have to wash it because it won't be worn often. Likely, it will brush the floor now and again and that's okay. Certainly it will get lovingly stored away like my wedding gown and brought out now and again to admire.

tigress

White Belt
Reaction score
Wow I'm surprised by the amount of people here that won't let their belt touch the floor and bowing to it etc. That seems crazy to me. It's just part of your kit, mine gets chucked into my gym bag with the rest of my stuff.

In fact I think having a black belt on can be a bit of a pain in the **** sometimes, it means when I'm training with the new guys in class, they expect me to do everything perfectly while the reality is I'm just as much of a student as anyone else there and still regularly make mistakes.

Exactly.

Ninebird8

Blue Belt
Reaction score
A black belt is an indication you now understand the basics, and are ready to learn the real things. Or,like my Ying Jow master told us, "I start all of you Americans with black sash, so you can get over it and learn something and tell your friends. Then, I give you white sash as instructor or master so you know the learning is ongoing." Works for me.

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score

i really, REALLY liked being a brown belt, because it meant i was almost a black belt but was still allowed to mess up. in fact i felt really awkward wearing my blackbelt for about 6 months after i received it. mostly it's just something to prove when you still shouldn't have much to prove.

jf

kaizasosei

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
i really long for a black belt because i have trained so long as a white belt or just with a tshirt. the biggest reason is that im kindof getting sick of being persecuted as a tshirt wearer and having to proove myself time and time again. getting a black belt is my goal now for bbt. i look forward to climbing the ranks to achieve what i need for greater comfort and respect.
it's sad that people need to see a belt on you to respect, but most of the time, it's like that.

in aikido, i can deal with being an eternal whitebelt, because it's supposed to be spiritual and if someone turns violent or forcefull, then ill take the liberty of communicating. also, my aikido group knows me for a long time(god knows i take long breaks off training, but nevertheless) so i respect them as hakamawearers with lots of goodies to teach, and for the most part, they respect me as a justified and wellmeaning aikimonster.

in mma, as far as i know, noone has told me of any belts or ranks. so all that counts there is real ability and certain facts.

j

YoungMan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
A black belt means several things.
First, it indicates you have a solid indication of the basics of your art. It does not mean you're an expert, but that now you are ready for more advanced knowledge.

Second, it it means you are now an official face of your style and organization. People don't care about green belts or brown belts. But most people are familiar with black belts and the amount of dedication it takes to earn one. Therefore, a black belt is watched closely by his peers and the lay public as a representative of the art and organization.

Third, it means instructors in your organization thought enough of you to feel you earned the right to wear one. That's a heavy responsibility. You should NEVER treat your belt as simply a piece of cloth. Symbolically it is much more than that.

Danjo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
A black belt is a birth certificate. What went before that was the gestation period where many miscarraiges and abortions happen. When you get the black belt, you start your life in the martial arts. You're on the family tree. Lots of growing left to take place until maturity is reached though.

sjansen

Orange Belt
Reaction score
You don't believe that story about a white belt getting dirtier until it became a black belt, do you?

I have never washed a belt because I was told not too. I don't believe the story either. If anything the black belt turns white over time. I don't understand why you wouldn't let it touch the ground. I does when I'm wearing it. It's not the flag. To me a little more than a piece of cloth, but that is only because it is a symbol of what I know or think I do. I have seen black belts who knew nothing and white belts who knew lots. To me knowledge is the real value.

Just my two cents, Scott

shihansmurf

Black Belt
Reaction score
Different belts that I own mean different things to me.

I own one of my teachers belts that he gave me shortly before he passed on. It was one that he had worn since he lived in Japan in the 70's. It means quit a bit to me and hangs in my "Man Cave" as the wife refers to it with a picture of my teacher and friend.

My shodan belt that is falling into tatters and looks quite cool because of it, I only wear it when I test students and want to look all authentic. I put on my best stern "Sensei" face as well. I weigh about 25 pounds more now so it doesn't hang as well but I'm loosing weight(10 lbs so far) so its gettin there).

I have a cool belt that a few of the kids at the school I was training/teaching at when I deployed got together and got me as a welcome home gift. I normally find the American flag belts to be tacky and a bit disrespectful but in this case I found it to be touching. I have this one hangine in my mane cave as well.

My most senior student gave me his shodan upon his promotion to nidan and asked me to award it to my son when he grows up and earns his black belt. This is the closest that I have came to tearing up that didn't include a shot to the smurfberries. Matt ,my student, was also my best man at my wedding and on of the closest friends I have ever had.. the martial arts have provoded much in my life.

Other than those, they are all just bits of cloth that have no intrinsic worth whatsoever.

Mark

Korppi76

Green Belt
Reaction score
For me the belt itself is just piece of cloth and I handle it just like other my training gear ( I do wash it and I try to keep it well (?)).
I have had only 2 black belts (it has been 10 year since shodan) and I gave my first one to my first student who got his shodan because he had to teach training next day. My second one is turning to gray so I have thought to buy new one... but it takes so long to get it comfortable so it is piece of cloth but (how to say?) it is comfortable and my piece of cloth. :)

Black belt itself means that you know atleast basics of your art and you should be able to handle higher level/more/faster training and you should be able to teach at least basics of your art.

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Depends specifically on the system and/or instructor but in general I equate a 1st degree BB with a high school diploma.

It is an accomplishment - and an important one from one perspective. For someone who keeps training in MA, though, it's just a stepping stone. From that perspective a 3rd degree might be considered an Associate's Degree, a 5th = Bachelor, 7th = Masters, 9th = Doctorate.
I'm glad to see that I am not the only one who uses the college analogy.

Too many people think that 1st Degree is a stopping point and they quit when they get their "Black Belt". I have found that using the college analogy really helps reinforce the concept that the entire journey from White Belt to Black Belt was about learning the basics; at Black Belt, you start learning the art.

Babook

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
A black belt is someone who kept visiting his school till one day he got a thick black colored strip of cotton around his waste.
Since I seen white belts beat black belts and black belts do drugs and other disrespectful things, I don't see BB as anything more then the person who has some martial arts training.

Danjo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
A black belt is someone who kept visiting his school till one day he got a thick black colored strip of cotton around his waste.
Since I seen white belts beat black belts and black belts do drugs and other disrespectful things, I don't see BB as anything more then the person who has some martial arts training.

Well, it sounds like you've been exposed to a pretty cruddy martial art school. If they just give someone a black belt after they've visited the school for long enough, then that's the problem right there. I guess we're limited to our experiences.

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
I was cleaning out a closet and came across this little tid-bit and remembered this thread.

What Does it Mean to be a Black Belt
-unknown author

After years of relentless training, a martial artist kneels before their instructor in a ceremony to recieve the coveted black belt.

"Before granting you the belt, you must pass one more test," the instructor solemnly tells the student. "I'm ready," responds the student, expecting perhaps one more round of sparring. "You must answer the essential question, 'What is the true meaning of the black belt?'"

"Why, the end of my journey," says the student confidently. "It's a well deserved reward for all of my hard work." The instructor waits for more, but clearly not satisfied the instructor says, "You are not ready. Try again in a years time."

A year later the student once again kneels before the instructor and is again asked the question, "What is the true meaning of the black belt?" The student replies, "It is a symbol of distinction and the highest achievment in our art." Dissatisfied the instructor once again says, You are not ready. Try again in a years time."

Another year passes and the student again kneels before their instructor and hears the familiar question, "What is the true meaning of the black belt?" This time the student anwers, "The black belt represents not an end, but the continuation of a never-ending journey of discipline, self-improvement, and the pursuit of an ever-higher standard."

"Yes," says the instructor. "You are now ready to recieve the black belt."

Change represents new beginnings and need not be feared. One should not be content with a permanent resting place, for a full and happy life is never stagnant.

Latest Discussions