what was the point of that?

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have you had to do anything in a lesson and thought what was the point of that?

All the time. :) IMO, its important to know what you're doing, and I see nothing wrong with asking. Of course, saying something like, "Ummm, ok, that was a stupid move. What does it do???" is not a good thing. Phrasing the question something like, "I'm a bit confused on the applications of this move. Could you explain exactly what it is that we're doing?" would be a bit nicer. :)

Mike

Shaderon

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I guess I'm spoilt, we usually get the practical implications of new moves explained straight away, so as soon as I think "what the?..." I get "this is to defend against/this is to do this..."

For instance, when I was learning the Wedging/Stopping block, my instructor came at me as if to strangle me and I had to use it to stop him. That drilled it in very well indeed.

Yari

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

Yes, and depending upon the teacher, some of them do have a meaning with it, and it's a question of patiance (sp?). Then I don't ask, but let the practice unfold like a flower waking up at the first ray of light.

But others I just ask, and they answer.

/yari

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I guess I'm spoilt, we usually get the practical implications of new moves explained straight away, so as soon as I think "what the?..." I get "this is to defend against/this is to do this..."

For instance, when I was learning the Wedging/Stopping block, my instructor came at me as if to strangle me and I had to use it to stop him. That drilled it in very well indeed.

Yes, IMO, a good instructor will explain whats going on. There have been more than a few times, unfortunately, with a past instructor, in which I'd get, "Well.....because thats the way its done." This comes after my question of what the move in the kata is for. I've always wondered how he could expect people to understand things, when he himself didn't know what the move was.

Mike

Yari

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Sometimes as an instruktur, you can get into the situation that you really dont know why.

I usally just sya that "with that and that" I reaaly dont know. But will ask, or se if I can find out.

/yari

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sometimes as an instruktur, you can get into the situation that you really dont know why.

I usally just sya that "with that and that" I reaaly dont know. But will ask, or se if I can find out.

/yari

Agreed and thats what I'd usually say to people. I'd rather give them an honest answer, than tell them I don't know and never tell them a reason why. That was the issue with that inst. in question. He said he didn't know, but never gave me any follow up.

Mike

Shaderon

Master of Arts
Reaction score
That's one of my pet hates, someone that doesn't know why they are teaching you something and can't be bothered finding out for you. I can't learn if I can't understand, it's one of the ways I remember things, I pick it apart and find out the reasons for it. If it has no reason, my brain seems to reject it.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I really don't have this problem. There are plenty of people in class whom will beat me up with any move I don't understand. LOL
Sean

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

yes I have
and yes I have some students tell me that they do not understand why we are doing something. My answere usualy is wait till the end of class and see if you understand why we are doing this as the class unfolds and you learn more of what we are doing today

jdinca

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yep. Usually, I wasn't told because that was the whole point. You need to sometimes figure out what the point was on your own. It makes you put effort into understanding.

I usually let students know why I taught what I taught and then, at a later date, I won't tell them but will quiz them instead to see if they recognized it from what they were told earlier.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
yes I have
and yes I have some students tell me that they do not understand why we are doing something. My answere usualy is wait till the end of class and see if you understand why we are doing this as the class unfolds and you learn more of what we are doing today
I've got a similar attitude, I think...

It seems like a lot of my current students are less willing to simply train, and trust that there's a purpose. They tend to overanalyze and try to "understand" everything... when sometimes, the only way to understand is to follow directions and just do it. It'll come together with practice and time...

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes but I will always wait till the end of the class or the seminar to ask if they are busy and I ask my student to ask me after classes.

Yari

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yep. Usually, I wasn't told because that was the whole point. You need to sometimes figure out what the point was on your own. It makes you put effort into understanding.

I usually let students know why I taught what I taught and then, at a later date, I won't tell them but will quiz them instead to see if they recognized it from what they were told earlier.

This is not critique(sp?), but I think there is 2 kind of "knowing". One is beeing told how things fit together, another is getting it.

I believe that you can tell people that a technique is 'so and so' or 'beacsue such and such'. But they'll only "advance" when they understand.

So in my world, telling them how it fits together doenst stop them from understanding.

/yari

jdinca

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
This is not critique(sp?), but I think there is 2 kind of "knowing". One is beeing told how things fit together, another is getting it.

I believe that you can tell people that a technique is 'so and so' or 'beacsue such and such'. But they'll only "advance" when they understand.

So in my world, telling them how it fits together doenst stop them from understanding.

/yari

I agree. That's why telling and doing are so important. When I don't tell them and ask questions at a later date, the subject is usually more about the mental aspects of martial arts, rather than the physical. Or, I'll have them do something, then explain what it is they were taught, while showing them, and then have them do it again with the knowledge of what they've been told.

There's nothing better than seeing the lightbulb go on. :)

Shotochem

Purple Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
IMO, we all ask whats the point every now and then. I'll echo what some of the others have said, a good instructor will be able to give a reasonable explanation of what you are doing.

BUT. I frequently come across techniques that are not practical for me personally. I could theoretically see them working in a manner suggested to me but I know what works for me. If I can't make it work, I'll adapt it for me or use another technique. It seems to me that many of our techniques were developed for very young and riddiculously athletic people and not your average human being.

It took a long time and a lot of bruises for me to figure this out.

-Marc-

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, If you do not understand? Ask? they may be others like you who do not understand it.

Every excerise, every movement, usually has a reason why? Some of it will remain unclear and hard to understand. Always ASK? Many times the answer will be something else from your thoughts.

Martial arts and it training sometimes is hard to understand like some Kata movements? ASK?

If you instructor does not tell you? maybe he doesn't know either? A good teacher will answer you!

What the point? to learn and understand what you are doing. NO point? You lose....two points to win....Zero points you lose....what the point of losing? when the you need only one point per class? HUH? Aloha

woot

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
We do something in our class, I think it is called Bunkai. Don't remember the name exactly, but we'll take a couple of moves from a kata and with a partner try to figure out what the application of the moves are. It is interesting to see all the different interpretations. We were told on a couple of the kata moves, that they were more symbolic than anything practicle.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
yes I have

Sheldon et al,

The why is very important to many students. Some do not wish to wait and ask again. So I ask them a few questions. What is 1 + 1 equal? They tell me 2. I reply Why? They usually say "Because it is? " I tell them I do not understand and they need to teach me. To some this gets them upset, to many they usually realize that you have to work something a few times to understnad what is going on before the explanation will help or work.

Note: For the obnoxious student I tell them I will except one of three proofs on why 1 + 1 is 2. And then I will ask them about taking a differential. ;)

I have asked it of myself and of the instructors I have had at an appropriate time. I have also answered it many times. I prefer to explain while the question(s) is being asked. But sometimes you just have to work it and then come back to it and explain it and then try to understand it again.

Latest Discussions