Why do you do martial arts??

kosho

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I was little and saw the karate kid.....2 weeks later a Shaolin Kempo Dojo opened in my town My mom being the only parent felt I need a male role model in my life and she took me there. and that was it. been hook sence. Now Most of my training is a mixed thing, BJJ, SKK, Kosho Ryu Kempo, Shiatsu ( healing arts ) and a mix of other things.

Kosho

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to know why everyone took up there martial arts???

I never got involved in any sports in highschool. I wanted to do something, so my Father suggested giving the Martial Arts a try. 21yrs later, I'm still training. :)

Mike

Shaderon

Master of Arts
Reaction score
There's another thread somewhere asking why we got into the art, and one I remember asking why we do the art we do.

However I have a different answer to both of them pushing the above questions to one side. I do it because I can feel myself getting better and improving at every lesson. Sometimes I have setbacks, but these are usually followed by jumps forward. I do it because when I practise it makes me happy. I'm learning something useful, getting fit, being with like minded people I like, and it's combatting stress by giving me physical excercise and emptying my mind of everyday turmoil.

When I'm doing my art nothing else matters, there is no outside world just me and my art.

I'm happy.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
There's another thread somewhere asking why we got into the art, and one I remember asking why we do the art we do.

However I have a different answer to both of them pushing the above questions to one side. I do it because I can feel myself getting better and improving at every lesson. Sometimes I have setbacks, but these are usually followed by jumps forward. I do it because when I practise it makes me happy. I'm learning something useful, getting fit, being with like minded people I like, and it's combatting stress by giving me physical excercise and emptying my mind of everyday turmoil.

When I'm doing my art nothing else matters, there is no outside world just me and my art.

I'm happy.

Why we got into the art?

Oh why we got into the art is an ENTIRELY different thing.

Why I got into martial arts to strike fear in the hearts of my fellow man of course, is there another reason I am unaware of ??? :uhyeah:

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I continue to study because each day when I leave the studio, I feel better than when I did when I arrived at the studio.

Now, the next day, I sometimes find myself wondering why my forearms are tender, or my shin hurts a bit.

But, if you go to do something, and you finish you feel better than when you start, why not do more of that?

Shaderon

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Why we got into the art?

Oh why we got into the art is an ENTIRELY different thing.

Why I got into martial arts to strike fear in the hearts of my fellow man of course, is there another reason I am unaware of ??? :uhyeah:

Oh yes why I got into it, as I previously explained, was because I'd been a battered "wife". I wanted to learn self defense in more than just a "ladies class" setting, I didn't just want to be able to get out of a situation quickly and run, if someone I knew got me in a situation where I couldn't run again and tried to kill me, I wanted to know how to kill em right back before they got me.

Being on the receiving end of a purposefully potentially lethal action alters your perception a little.

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm a nerd.

I've never been very athletic, coordinated, etc. Let's put it like this.....I was in the band (Still love to play music and perform)! I've done Tang Soo Do off and on over the last 15 years. It started because I was a nerd and got beat up a lot. Martial arts gave me confidence and helped me get in shape for the first time. Took a few years off, got back into it to get in shape and to learn more.

Most recently, I moved to Korea. I started Tang Soo Do again here because - well, where better to learn a KMA than Korea??

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
Oh yes why I got into it, as I previously explained, was because I'd been a battered "wife". I wanted to learn self defense in more than just a "ladies class" setting, I didn't just want to be able to get out of a situation quickly and run, if someone I knew got me in a situation where I couldn't run again and tried to kill me, I wanted to know how to kill em right back before they got me.

Being on the receiving end of a purposefully potentially lethal action alters your perception a little.

I hate hearing stories like this :angry: I remember you mentioning this before Shaderon :). This is why I got into teaching the arts. When people are empowered to defend themselves (reasonably well--nothing's failsafe), especially women and kids, it can be lifechanging. :enguard: I love to watch this transformation. Really gratifying.

Mentioned on another thread (re: low kicking, I think) a local news story I saw this week. 16 year old girl, attacked by intruder in her home, at first submitted. He threw her onto the couch and fell on top of her. She then decided to fight back, and they wrestled to the floor then to a standing grapple. She then kicked him in the knee (no training, just reflex), he dropped like a rock, she ran out the front door screaming for help. Police busted him about 4 minutes later. :) Good outcome, but with a little training she could have skipped the wrestling and just done the knee kick. Much more fun for her. :)

Langenschwert

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I do the MA I do to honour my ancestors. Most of the old European Martial Arts faded from existence or mutated into other arts, both sporting and military. I want to do my part to revive and teach those combat Arts, and the Kunst Des Fechtens in particular. Plus, it's fun. Perfecting the techniques gives me a similar buzz that pracitcing music does. And there's something very therapeutic about hitting people with weapons. :)

Best regards,

-Mark

ChingChuan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I mainly do MA because I like doing it. Also, there are some very pleasant side-effects to it, like getting to know more people, learning something about how to defend yourself, getting fit etc. etc. but those are just 'side-effects'. I 'only' do MA because I really like it, not because of the benefits.

Shaderon

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I hate hearing stories like this :angry: I remember you mentioning this before Shaderon :). This is why I got into teaching the arts. When people are empowered to defend themselves (reasonably well--nothing's failsafe), especially women and kids, it can be lifechanging. :enguard: I love to watch this transformation. Really gratifying.

Mentioned on another thread (re: low kicking, I think) a local news story I saw this week. 16 year old girl, attacked by intruder in her home, at first submitted. He threw her onto the couch and fell on top of her. She then decided to fight back, and they wrestled to the floor then to a standing grapple. She then kicked him in the knee (no training, just reflex), he dropped like a rock, she ran out the front door screaming for help. Police busted him about 4 minutes later. :) Good outcome, but with a little training she could have skipped the wrestling and just done the knee kick. Much more fun for her. :)

GO that girl!!!!

These are the people I want to target when I get to be an instructor. I feel a lot of the abused women need a female instructor, at least to start with as it's less threatening.

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I had enjoyed several competitve sports and was looking for something different to try. I thought the show "kung fu" was cool when i watched it as a kid and in the back of my mind i always thought i would try martial arts some day. With the encouragement of some friends, I tried it.

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
GO that girl!!!!

These are the people I want to target when I get to be an instructor. I feel a lot of the abused women need a female instructor, at least to start with as it's less threatening.

Yeah, I often wonder what I'm doing teaching elementary girls (only one of my four cohorts, but still). But if it gives them a chance to escape the bad man, then so be it. But, yeah, a female instructor would be great!

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I often wonder what I'm doing teaching elementary girls (only one of my four cohorts, but still). But if it gives them a chance to escape the bad man, then so be it. But, yeah, a female instructor would be great!

I think you are teaching something beyond just being able to defend themselves. People who do martial arts walk and carry themselves with more confidence than those who don't, they 'project' that they aren't victims so tend not to picked on by bullies or attackers so much in the first place. Abusers too look for people who look like 'victims', that won't hit back, they won't touch someone who looks as if they can 'sus' them out. It's important for boys to be able to defend themselves of course but for girls I think martial arts/self defence is totally and absoulutely vital because it affects so much more of their lives!
To use a cliche it does empower girls being able to fight, I watch the girls I teach grow in confidence in all parts of their lives and it's a wonderful thing to see.

Shuto

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I started MA to get in better physical shape and to share an activity with my wife. I think it has grown beyond that now but I'm not clear exactly how to define it beyond that it is becomming more than a hobby.

Maybe this topic has been discussed before but I find it interesting. Thanks to all for participating in it.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I started MA to get in better physical shape and to share an activity with my wife. I think it has grown beyond that now but I'm not clear exactly how to define it beyond that it is becomming more than a hobby.

Maybe this topic has been discussed before but I find it interesting. Thanks to all for participating in it.

An obsession lol? I think it is with me now! I love MA, I live it and breathe it now. I think it's a good obsession though..............:uhohh:

Shaderon

Master of Arts
Reaction score
for girls I think martial arts/self defence is totally and absoulutely vital because it affects so much more of their lives!
To use a cliche it does empower girls being able to fight, I watch the girls I teach grow in confidence in all parts of their lives and it's a wonderful thing to see.

It's not just the girls that get this effect, when the guy who is junior to me in our class started, he was gawky, uncoordinated and looked scared of his shadow. Now after learning for 4 months, he's looking so much more confident and he's filled out his stature, he looks like he's put on body shape, a lot of it is the way he carries himself but doing TKD has given him some core strength too, he's now self confident and no longer looks like someone who's bullied a lot, he looks like the guy you don't mess with. All after 4 months training and a little encouragement.

Latest Discussions