Haganah (F.I.G.H.T.) Instruction

chazlink

White Belt
Reaction score
Hello all,

I have been looking for Krav Maga instruction in Tampa for some time and while looking I came across another Israeli form called Haganah, specifically the F.I.G.H.T style (http://fight2survive.com/default.aspx) and it seems really cool in theory.

So while looking around Tampa to see if there are any instructors around, I came across this site: http://www.martialartsadvantage.com/index.html.

Now first off, this site seems to be McDojoism at its best. Even the instructors are known as Mr. John, and Mr. Mike, etc. However, they do offer the Adult Haganah class. http://www.martialartsadvantage.com/programs-fight.html

Has anyone heard of this school by chance? I have a meeting set up for next week, but they were very unwilling to discuss the details of the program over the phone. Any input or opinions on this would be greatly appreciated.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have not heard anything about that particular school. I am also sure that Haganah is a decent Israeli based system and yet my experience is with some hard core Krav Maga training. One thing that
turned me off with Haganah is that they promoted many people to instructor status (or allowed them to teach) after just one weekend seminar. That is probably my biggest turn off. (how good could they be) However, you probably need to go and check out this school and see if it is what you are looking for. Good luck!

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have not heard anything about that particular school. I am also sure that Haganah is a decent Israeli based system and yet my experience is with some hard core Krav Maga training. One thing that
turned me off with Haganah is that they promoted many people to instructor status (or allowed them to teach) after just one weekend seminar. That is probably my biggest turn off. (how good could they be) However, you probably need to go and check out this school and see if it is what you are looking for. Good luck!
That's one of the few things I dislike about the system. However, if you are already experienced, I think KM is something you can pick up relatively quick. Now, if some guy off of the street w/ no experience jumps in a weekend seminar and proudly touts himself as an expert instructor, then I've got problems with that :)

Overall, I've been impressed with what I've seen of KM. Wish I could find a local instructor.

Chazlink, good luck, and please let us know how the meeting goes.

Find out how long the guy has been studying KM and how much time he has spent in Israel. I'd be a bit concerned if he was one of those weekend "black belts". You can't really judge a school by its web site, but there is not much info there.. It might be a great school. Go check it out though :)

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I find the name 'Haganah' to be an odd choice. I really don't think I approve, I have relatives who were in the original Haganah who also find it strange.

OP
C

chazlink

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys thanks so much for the replys.

There is an actual Krav Maga instructor in my area, but he is teaching through Premier Martial Arts (PMA). I have heard really bad things about this organization. From what I gather, they are a marketing firm of some sort that instructors sign up with, and thusly are forced to teach PMA's cirriculum. Students even have to buy PMA gear - such as uniforms, gloves, and weapons. This to me seems to really tie the instructors hands on what they can/cannot teach. The local instructor is Steve Del Castillo, formerly of Daimyo Martial Arts. If anyone has any positives experiences with PMA, please let me know.

During my search for other KM instructors is what brought me across the F.I.G.H.T. (Fierce Israeli Guerella Hand-to-Hand Tactics) Haganah style. I have tried unsuccessfully to contact Mike Kanarek, the founder of the system, to verify the legimitacy of the instructor here in Tampa. The stories about weekend black belt certifications worry me though, as the style is touted as quick to learn since the style is based off of your body's natural reactions.

I might just set up a free class at both schools to see how they are. I will keep anyone who is interested up to date.

Again, if anyone else has any input, feel free to share. Thank you all so much.

jdixon22

White Belt
Reaction score
You asked about positive experiences with PMA, and so I am responding to this post.

I have been under the instruction of Steve Del Castillo at PMA since November of last year and I am loving it. He is a great instructor, and they actually just moved to a new facility over the weekend, which I will train at for the first time tomorrow. I will let you know how it is! I have had nothing but positive experiences there, and just tested March 24th for my orange belt (and passed, if you are interested :) ) Anyway, I have some PMA gear just because I have been too lazy to go elsewhere to purchase gear, but I know other students have brought their own gear and Shihan Steve has no problem with that. As far as a strict PMA curriculum, I guess I would have to look into that, but I am under the impression that he can teach the curriculum as he sees fit. They also have great kids' programs there. I hope this helps you out.

Jen

AVKmcc1969

White Belt
Reaction score
If it's Mike Lee Kanarek's school, then you are in good hands. Mike is the real deal, I have participated in some of his seminars.

Keep the appointment!

Latest Discussions