Jim Wagner article in BB mag: Q & A about posting Instructor Resumes

loyalonehk

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Getting straight to the point.

Q's:

INSTRUCTORS

1) How important do you all think it is to post your resume on line for potential students to access?

2) Would YOU? Why? / Why not?

STUDENTS AND/OR THOSE SEEKING AN INSTRUCTOR

1) Would you choose an Instructor/School that has the teachers resume available, over a school or teacher that does not post the resume on-line but he/she is open to discuss background during the interview/"Meet & Greet" phase.

Just curious what the reply(s) will be...

The article refers to people that go take lessons in self-defense from Instructors that have not actually been in the real situation.

Compared to the thought of taking Skydiving lessons from someone that has never actually jumped out of a plane.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

Q's:

INSTRUCTORS

1) How important do you all think it is to post your resume on line for potential students to access?

1) IMO, I think its a good idea. With the internet as popular as it is, it gets your name out as well as provides people who are looking for an instructor, the ability to research them.

2) Sure. I don't own my own school, so its not really an option for me, per se, but I have nothing to hide. Makes no difference if I put it online or verbally tell someone.

1) Would you choose an Instructor/School that has the teachers resume available, over a school or teacher that does not post the resume on-line but he/she is open to discuss background during the interview/"Meet & Greet" phase.

Of course, the more info. posted online the better. Having the info. accessable in the privacy of my home, could save me time when doing research on a school/instructor. Of course, I may have more questions to ask, but at least I'd already have an idea on what to expect. So, to answer the question, if I had enough of an interest in the school, I would check it out either way.

The article refers to people that go take lessons in self-defense from Instructors that have not actually been in the real situation.

Compared to the thought of taking Skydiving lessons from someone that has never actually jumped out of a plane.

Now thats a scarey thought.

Mike

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't really care if the resume is provided online, or necessary, just as long it's readily available at time of visit. I'm nowhere near being an owner, or even an instructor, but if I was- I'd post it. Like it was said: internet is such a popular way of finding things (such as places to study), it'll grab more attention by posting.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't really care if the resume is provided online, or necessary, just as long it's readily available at time of visit. I'm nowhere near being an owner, or even an instructor, but if I was- I'd post it. Like it was said: internet is such a popular way of finding things (such as places to study), it'll grab more attention by posting.

I agree with TKDGirl on this. Not neccessary to be online, but available to be sure. I'm hiring this person to train me, I gotta know if they know what they are doing. A contractor came to my house with a book full of pictures & references of what his company has done. It makes sense to me. If my students (or their folks) want to know my MA resume (or my other one) I'll show it to them.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My problem is that anyone that cares about rank, will find it in great quantities. Online Resumes are misleading, with some folks listing 10+ certifications in different styles and with different organizations.

I'd rather see techniques and explanations, maybe some video clips, articles written by the person. A paper trail isn't all that meaningful, and when it gets too long I get put off by the guy on the ego trip with a bunch of certificate, probably having paid a good chunk of change collecting them.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My problem is that anyone that cares about rank, will find it in great quantities. Online Resumes are misleading, with some folks listing 10+ certifications in different styles and with different organizations.

I'd rather see techniques and explanations, maybe some video clips, articles written by the person. A paper trail isn't all that meaningful, and when it gets too long I get put off by the guy on the ego trip with a bunch of certificate, probably having paid a good chunk of change collecting them.

I understand what your saying, Andrew. I can't disagree that certs. to "prove" anything are a dime a dozen. Certs (legit or not) don't often prove someone can teach. I like your idea about explaining techniques. Folks that have no problem answering questions, don't mind them being asked. Folks with 10+ certs on the wall tend to no like to be asked where they came from, who gave them, or who are those associations. My experience tells me that some folks don't like those "nosey" questions.

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thing with the lists of belt ranks is nobody cares.

To brand new students, it's just a bunch of syllables they only vaguely understand the significance of.

Advanced students get that most of them don't mean all that much, really.

I have a resume available. It includes the ranks I'm proud of, and more meaningful appointments and accomplishments like which organizations consider me their security consultant, where I've published. Stuff like that.

IWishToLearn

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score

Q's:

INSTRUCTORS

1) Not really, I don't recruit for students, all of mine have come via word of mouth. I am not teaching for profit - so I don't care how many students I have, just that I have good quality students.

2)Having said that, my resume is on my website - albeit the website is member's only. The people who stick around to train long enough eventually ask, or they see it on the website and ask. Other than that - anyone who shows up and who first asks me about my resume generally isn't interested enough to see what I have to say anywho. The first reactions are usually related to the volume of information we teach.

1)Sometimes I do look at the instructor's resume myself - but those are for instructors I've never heard of.

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
Too true.

I'd rather see techniques and explanations, maybe some video clips, articles written by the person.
A great idea! This is what I'll do if I ever need to draw students beyond word of mouth.

Personally, I want to see the guy move. And maybe watch a few of his students in action. Some of my best instructors would have a one-line resume. Some of the worst have had long strings of accolades from some famous people. :ultracool

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I've seen websites where the instructor has a list that goes on and on and on, including every microdetail of their training, things like when they earned each rank, every single seminar they ever attended with somebody semi-famous, every single class they ever taught in basic self defense at the local community college, etc. And some of these guys have lists that just don't end. It really screams of resume-padding.

On paper, a resume should not be longer than one page.

On someone's website, they feel free to go on to infinity. It's often meaningless to anybody but himself.

Latest Discussions