Pressure Points

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Alright, ladies and gents...here's the info on two books on Chin Na (both available from B&N):

Both books are written by Dr. Yang, Jwing-Ming

Analysis of Shaolin Chin Na
ISBN 0-940871-04-1
about 175+ pages

Comprehensive Application of Shaolin Chin Na
ISBN 0-940-871-36-X
over 400 pages!

The same author had two other books at B&N...one on Taiji Chin Na and another on Shaolin White Crane, which I believe is where he garnered his Chin Na knowledge.

Have fun,

Cthulhu

Samurai

Blue Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
The following information is fron Dr. Yang Jwing-Ming's website.
If you are looking for his books, check out www.half.com They have several of his books at discount prices.

-Jeremy Bays

Dr. Yang, Jwing-Ming started his Gongfu (or Kung Fu) training at the age of fifteen under the Shaolin White Crane (Bai He) Master Cheng, Gin Gsao. In thirteen years of study (1961-1974 A.D.) under Master Cheng, Dr. Yang became an expert in the White Crane style of Chinese martial arts, which includes both the use of barehands and of various weapons such as saber, staff, spear, trident, two short rods, and many others. With the same master he also studied White Crane Qin Na (or Chin Na), Tui Na and Dian Xue massages, and herbal treatment.

At the age of sixteen, Dr. Yang began the study of Taijiquan (Yang Style) under Master Kao Tao. After learning from Master Kao, Dr. Yang continued his study and research of Taijiquan with several masters and senior practitioners such as Master Li, Mao-Ching and Mr. Wilson Chen in Taipei. Master Li learned his Taijiquan from the well-known Master Han, Ching-Tang, and Mr. Chen learned his Taijiquan from Master Chang, Xiang-San. Dr. Yang has mastered the Taiji barehand sequence, pushing hands, the two-man fighting sequence, Taiji sword, Taiji saber, and Taiji Qigong.

When Dr. Yang was eighteen years old he entered Tamkang College in Taipei Xian to study Physics and also began the study of traditional Shaolin Long Fist (Changquan or Chang Chuan) with Master Li, Mao-Ching at the Tamkang College Guoshu Club (1964-1968 A.D.). He eventually became an assistant instructor under Master Li. In 1971 he completed his M.S. degree in Physics at the National Taiwan University and then served in the Chinese Air Force from 1971 to 1972. In the service, Dr. Yang taught Physics at the Junior Academy of the Chinese Air Force while also teaching Wushu. After being honorably discharged in 1972, he returned to Tamkang College to teach Physics and resumed study under Master Li, Mao-Ching. From Master Li, Dr. Yang learned Northern style Gongfu, which includes both barehand (especially kicking) techniques and numerous weapons.

In 1974, Dr. Yang came to the United States to study Mechanical Engineering at Purdue University. At the request of a few students, Dr. Yang began to teach Gongfu (Kung Fu), which resulted in the foundation of the Purdue University Chinese Kung Fu Research Club in the spring of 1975. While at Purdue, Dr. Yang also taught college-credited courses in Taijiquan. In May, 1978 he was awarded a Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering by Purdue.

In summary, Dr. Yang has been involved in Chinese Gongfu since 1961. During this time, he has spent thirteen years learning Shaolin White Crane (Bai He), Shaolin Long Fist (Changquan), and Taijiquan. Dr. Yang has more than thirty years of instructional experience: seven years in Taiwan, five years at Purdue University, two years in Houston, Texas, and sixteen years in Boston, Massachusetts. In addition, Dr. Yang has been invited to offer seminars around the world to share his knowledge of Chinese martial arts and Qigong. The countries he has visited include Canada, Mexico, France, Italy, Poland, England, Ireland, Portugal, Switzerland, Saudi Arabia, Belgium, Iran, Chile, Venezuela, Morocco, South Africa, Holland, Hungary, Spain, and Germany. Dr. Yang has published twenty-four books and twenty-eight videotapes on the martial arts and Qigong. Currently he is president of Yang's Oriental Arts Association, Boston, MA.

Samurai

Blue Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Oh, I almost forgot...........

Check out the website www.ymma.com for a good article on the different types of Qinna.

-Jeremy B.

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Nothing there. Just a page saying the domain name is taken.

Cthulhu

OP
R

Rob_Broad

I have seen Mr. Dillman on several occaisons, and have been knocked out. I was captured on tape, and I do know that these can be effective, they just don't work on everybody the same way.

OP
M

Mark Kline

True! They do not work the same on everyone. This is where study comes in. If one is familiar with body types (endomorph, ectomorph, mesomorph or enrgy types Fire, Water, Wood, Metal, earth) then your choice of techniques will be greatly increased. Unfortunately many high ranks do not want to feel like a white belt again, but we all are. If we are not growing then we are dying. Mr Dillman continues to amaze me with his sharing of information. I have been with him almost 14 years so yeah, I am pirvy to more than someone on the outside.

good posts!

Mark

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Have any of you pressure point guys ever run across somebody who just couldn't be knocked out? This is just curiosity. Whether it be some type of conditioning or the person was just a freak of nature :). I'm referring to pressure point KO's now...no fair cheating by clubbing 'em over the head with a pipe wrench :D

Cthulhu

OP
R

Rob_Broad

I actually had a student who could not be knocked out. My instructor at the time (a 7th Degree Black Belt under George Dillman and a 5th Degree in American Kenpo) tried several times to knock out this guy and it wold not work. Mr. Dillman claimed the guy needed to see a accupuncturists to get help with his Chi flow.

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
No, that wasn't a request :rofl:

I think it's just more likely that the fella just couldn't be KO'd that way. That, or your instructor may have just needed more time to adjust the techniques to that particular person's body.

Or, you were trying to KO Clark Kent and didn't know it :D

Cthulhu

OP
R

Rob_Broad

Mr. Dillman said that there is a low percentage of people that just can't be knocked out. He could take all the banging we gave him and not bruise. . This guy doesn't feel heat on his arms, he would burns himself at work with grease and not notice it. Mr. Dillman said that he had a problem with the flow of his chi. It turns out he guy had a problem with his liver, and had work done by a accupuncturists and seems to be doing ok.

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Owie. Personally, I like knowing that my body will tell me when I'm too close to hot grease and/or fire :D

I often run across people who can't use pressure points on me, but I don't believe I'm particularly impervious to them or anything. They're just not doing them right. Usually, the instructor will come along to see why they're having problems and I end up writhing in pain for a bit. :)

Cthulhu

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Cthulhu
I often run across people who can't use pressure points on me, but I don't believe I'm particularly impervious to them or anything.

I have not had them successfully used on me for knock-outs and with only limited success for pain. After the last George Dillman seminar I was once again covered with black-and-blue marks from people trying desperately to find points on me. I would like to be knocked out sometime--I remain a skeptic. But Mr. Dillman does have some great information.

OP
P

paulk

Hi

I am more than interested in pressure points and indeed teach both pressure point application and revival techniques as part of our advanced syllabus.

However, there are attackers out there who are immune to pressure points, particularly attackers with layers of thick padded clothes.

Pressure points are great but if you go for one in a real situation you betted have a damn fast and effective follow up in case it fails or you're history.

OP
K

Kyle

I have little experience learning/doing myself. I have had people of varying backgrounds try pressure points on me, with no success. I would love to have someone knock me out with light manipulation of pressure points. At this time, I remain highly skeptical.

- Kyle

OP
P

paulk

Go meet Rick Moneymaker at a seminar and say 'Hey pressure point knockouts don't work'

The world of pressure points looks different from a prone position.

OP
G

GouRonin

Some of it I'll buy. Some of it I won't. (I'm a big fan of the pipe wrench method anyway)

Dillman has some good stuff that can be very useful. But then again telling people he grew his belly big to protect his pressure points there kinda throws me.

Ed Parker once was told by a man that he could put him into a lock he couldn't get out of. Ed Parker said "ok" and when it was on he agreed he could not get out of it. Then after he was let go he stood back into a ready sort of stance and said, "Now try and put it on."

My point? Sure some pressure points work. Trying to apply them on some guy swinging isn't as easy as people think. Not to say it's immpossible, just not as feasible as one would think. Now most of the pressure points work in the "Ideal phase." Outisde of that I don't know.

Jay Bell

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hi all,

This has been a very interesting thread. I've seen Dillman demos before...and it seems pretty impressive. Of course (like the analogy of the armlock) most techiques look impressive with a willing opponent.

I feel that many people put too much focus on pressure points. Recently while training with a kohai, I was doing a technique that ended with a Shuto to Uko (nape of neck). The kohai asked, "What if I turn and move away from you? Then you can't hit that point." I said, "Do that." He demonstrated what he was referring to and the motion of his movements brought another kyusho towards me and my downward traveling fist (shichibatsu...top ridge of the pelvis from the back/side).

He seemed to be quite shooken up by this idea. He was so set on hitting "the point" that the rest of the body was ignored. The body has enormous amounts of kyusho and to constrict yourself to "that one target" will put you into a very difficult situation. I explained to him that we are defeating the negative emotions of the attacker through his body...not one specific point.

OP
R

Rob_Broad

Pressure points are just another tool in your repitoire. They just help what you are doing, if you know what you are doing. I look at them the way I look at a good book or video, just something to help with my training.

Some people think they are greater than sliced bread, but you still have to have martial arts basics to employ them properly. People also have to learn which direction to attack the points, which also means the person has to have more knowledge than what most people think.

I have been knocked out from pressure points and I have seen people try to knock me out after they have attended a seminar. They lack the knowledge to do so properly. Like a said they are just another tool to help me be a better martial artist.

Jay Bell

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Agreed hands down, Rob. Kyusho is much like anything else in martial arts. There's the age ol question of, "What is more effective, striking or grappling?". If you're limiting yourself to one or the other, you're lacking period.

So though kyusho are incredibly effective...I feel that if it's the entire basis of what is being practiced, there's far too much to loose.

Latest Discussions