What Do You Think Are The Best Self Defense Weapons?

Christian Soldier

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Frankly, I am big on carrying guns. Even when I carried a gun as part of my daily life, it would not necessarily have been the first thing I reached for. Now granted, there are times that if you have one, that is the best thing to have in your hand.

But the problem with guns, is that if you draw a gun, you have no where else to go. You have to shoot it if you must defend yourself. You may say you can pistol whip someone, and I guess that is true, but the gun is not designed as a club. It is designed to forcefully and quickly move a projectile into an opponent, and that is the way it is best used. I believe a trained MA should be able to, and to seek to, use other defenses in most circumstances.

Yeah totatly agree, the first thing you should reach for should be your wallet and then your cell phone. A gun is designed to be a projectile weapon and it can be used from many ranges.

To the OP guy: Honestly, if you've already gotten in the habbit of carrying a gun, just stick with it. You don't want to stop carrying your gun and switch to a neck knife right away because, unless you've completely 'untrained' yourself, you are going to reach for your hip and waste a precious second in a SD scenario. A second that you can't afford to lose. Nothing wrong with just carrying a gun and knowing how to use it.

Any other option is going to be more dangerous for you becaus it either won't be as effective (peper spray for instance), or will require you to be very close to an adreniline filled mad man who is intent on making you 'combat inefective'.

A taser (the shooting kind, don't go with a stun gun) isn't a bad option either, but it has it's disadvanatges just like any other weapon.

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
The best weapon to use in self defense is the one you have trained enough in to be very comfortable with...and one you are prepared to be charged with using.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
So just to clarify, you are talking about practical weapons to have on in hand in a civilized society, right?

Because if not, I'm choosing a spear. Or a sword. Or a bokken. Or a machete.

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Come on guys. Have any of you actually been in a self defense situation? I have... You just use whatever is at hand. I've trained in a number of weapons but strangely I didn't have any of them on me when I got attacked.

Heck when I was a cop I carried a sidearm all the time, but never had to use it.

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you had to carry any weapon for self defense besides a gun, what would you use?

A knife;

• Doesn't jam.
  • Doesn't need to be reloaded.
  • Doesn't misfire.
  • Is silent.
  • Can be used as a rescue tool.
  • Can be used as a survival tool.
  • Can be used in many everyday functions.

monk64

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Within the spirit of the OP's question - other than a gun, what would you carry - it would probably be something other than a knife. Given the choice between stabbing someone and escaping or bashing someone and escaping, I'd choose the latter, because there are likely less legal consequences (regardless of fault). There's a greater risk of killing someone with a knife.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't know that I'd agree with any of that, really. For one thing, I don't think many laws differentiate between degrees of lethal force... it's more like, if it's lethal force, it's lethal force. Then, when it comes to there being a greater risk of killing someone with a knife, again, I don't really think that that's the case either. I'll put it this way - when using a weapon, the typical reason is that you're searching (psychologically) for the strongest response you can get, whether it's appropriate or not. And with a blunt instrument, the most common target (for that reason) is the head. That means that the most common injuries from someone just being "beaten" are severe blunt instrument trauma to the head, including things like fractured skulls and major brain injury... whereas a knife, superficial wounds are semi-common. For these reasons, and others, we teach that an opponent armed with a baseball bat is more likely to result in death than a knife-armed attacker.

Really, it'd depend on exactly what your "not a knife" weapon is... and how you're trained in it's use. Something like a security baton, for instance, can still result in some pretty nasty injuries, unless trained specifically to be a measured response. Something like a Kubotan/Yawara won't give you the ability to "bash" the attacker, but also won't allow you to cut/stab them. Of course, you remove any reach advantage a longer weapon would give you as well... so it really does depend on what your talking about.

Bear in mind, I'm not arguing against the idea of "not a knife", just that your reasoning is a little off, from the way it's worded here.

chubbybutdangerous

White Belt
Reaction score
Other than my XD carrying several doses of 45acp diplomacy, I always have both some sort of edged weapon, tactical flashlight and a cell phone. I think all are necessary EDC tools in case of self defense scenario. Other than that, my favorite weapon is whatever I have in my hand at the time one is needed. But in any case, like someone else mentioned earlier, train, train, train with whatever you use. I'm just very partial to edged weapons probably because I train/instruct FMA.

Aiki Lee

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I'd probably say a tactical flashlight. You can use it as a kubaton and as a blinding instrument, and most people won't bat an eye over someone carrying a flashlight around as opposed to noticing a knife or some kind of staff.

I prefer a keychain kubaton over a knife for self-defense over a knife and the reason for that is like the flashlight I mentioned above, people aren't immediately concerned if you are holding it in your hand, and I'm more likely to use it than a knife because I'm less concerned over legal issues surrounding its use.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Personally I'm thankful that I live in a country where folks aren't allowed to carry guns ...carrying a weapon in the UK removes any basis for self defence as a defence in court...

This shows how the answer to the question of "what to carry for self-defense" depends heavily on your local environment. Where I live, it is very common for people to legally carry guns and knives, openly or concealed, with no permit required. This directly affects behavior. For example, unarmed individuals, like myself try to avoid honking our horns or making obscene gestures when driving "just in case". No need to end up as another "road rage" victim.

If i'm out matched or the assailant is armed I will look for something to tool up with but improv' weapons are the only sort I consider.

I love the way you think. It's a personal "game" of mine to try and keep an eye out for potential "improv" weapons wherever I go. Also, I think its a good idea to keep "useful" tools and pieces of sporting equipment handy about the house and in my car. I prefer objects that have a legitimate practical function as well as the potential to serve as weapons of self-defense. That way, if I ever have to use one to defend myself, it's presence would be easy to justify. And, if I don't ever use it as a weapon, at least I can get some practical use out of having it around.

Oh, another thing, I hang with people like "Chubby" from the previous post. He's always sufficiently armed and dangerous enough that I really don't have to worry! :)

WingChunIan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
For these reasons, and others, we teach that an opponent armed with a baseball bat is more likely to result in death than a knife-armed attacker.

I don't disagree with the rest of your post Chris, but I personally think you're off the mark with this comment. Most people who attack with bats actually end up aiming at the body and legs rather than the head in my experience. Most bat attacks are viscious and savage but typically leave the victim with multiple broken bones, contusions etc rather than dead. Contrary to what the films would have us believe it actually takes alot to kill someone with blunt force trauma as the body is designed to protect against exactly that kind of impact. Knives on the other hand often result in fatal injury and in many cases it is unintentional. The body is not designed to repel stab wounds and even an initially non fatal blow can be become fatal due to blood loss. Knives are also a hell of a lot harder to see coming and move very quickly and can hurt you at even the shortest of ranges without any build up or chambering making them difficult to defend against.
I know its off thread so maybe its worth a thread of its own.

jezr74

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't disagree with the rest of your post Chris, but I personally think you're off the mark with this comment. Most people who attack with bats actually end up aiming at the body and legs rather than the head in my experience. Most bat attacks are viscious and savage but typically leave the victim with multiple broken bones, contusions etc rather than dead. Contrary to what the films would have us believe it actually takes alot to kill someone with blunt force trauma as the body is designed to protect against exactly that kind of impact. Knives on the other hand often result in fatal injury and in many cases it is unintentional. The body is not designed to repel stab wounds and even an initially non fatal blow can be become fatal due to blood loss. Knives are also a hell of a lot harder to see coming and move very quickly and can hurt you at even the shortest of ranges without any build up or chambering making them difficult to defend against.

I think what he means is that in Australia an assailant is less likely to actually use a knife in an attack than a bat. If confronted with someone welding a knife you may be more likely to intimidate and have them back out, than if confronted with someone with a bat and using the same tactics.

Sent using Tapatalk

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd probably say a tactical flashlight. You can use it as a kubaton and as a blinding instrument, and most people won't bat an eye over someone carrying a flashlight around as opposed to noticing a knife or some kind of staff.

I prefer a keychain kubaton over a knife for self-defense over a knife and the reason for that is like the flashlight I mentioned above, people aren't immediately concerned if you are holding it in your hand, and I'm more likely to use it than a knife because I'm less concerned over legal issues surrounding its use.

A tactical flashlight would be a good choice, and can be taken into areas other 'tools' cannot. It also serves more than one purpose, so it is good for a survival tool. Additionally, several varieties have very sharp ends. A Kubaton is a nice tool as well, though it may not go places a flashlight can go.

Monk64 said:
Within the spirit of the OP's question - other than a gun, what would you carry - it would probably be something other than a knife. Given the choice between stabbing someone and escaping or bashing someone and escaping, I'd choose the latter, because there are likely less legal consequences (regardless of fault). There's a greater risk of killing someone with a knife.

In regards to the legal issue, it really isn't an issue. Using a 'weapon' in most locals will cause the charge (if any is issued) to become 'aggrivated'. Doesn't matter whether you're using a knife, a bat or a toaster or a car. One cannot say there is a greater risk of death in any particular weapon used. It all depends on too many factors i.e. place of injury/force used/depth of injury/health of individual injured/outside influences.

While a flashlight and kubaton are great choices (I carry both regularly), if it could be ONLY one thing, a knife is a far better choice simply due to the variety of things that can be done with it as I stated above. In this venue, usability is paramont. Normally, I carry my off-duty firearm (Glock 23 .40 S&W), Spyderco Endura serrated clip knife [doubles as a great rescue tool i.e. cuts seat belts etc], Swiss Army knife [McGyver approved], couple of tactical flashlights [one small on keychain], kubaton on keychain and if I have my fanny pack with me I have firesteel, chapstick/cotton balls [some will know what this is useful for], mag bar w/striker, extra LED flashlight, whistle.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score

I'll jump into the other thread, but first a bit of clarification.

If someone is determined to kill you, a knife is the easier way for them to achieve it. But that's not what makes a knife more potentially lethal when introduced into a confrontation, mainly as there are a large number of attacks with a knife which are little more than superficial (commonly slashing attacks). Baseball bat/impact weapon attacks, on the other hand, from every conversation I've had with emergency workers, police, reading all statistics I've found etc, have a dominant tactic of attacking the head. In that case, if we were to take 10 attacks with a knife, and 10 with a baseball bat (leaving out simple intimidation, although that reduces the numbers for knife even more [not that a baseball bat isn't used for intimidation, just that a knife is far more common that way]), even if we allow a 50/50 split for stabbing versus slashing (which I think is generous to the stabbing attacks), baseball bats would have 7 or 8 out of the ten being strikes to the head. In other words, the attack with a baseball bat itself is more likely to be a potentially lethal attack, as opposed to a knife, which could be a potentially lethal attack, or not. The reasons for this include a knife being used in an offensively "defensive" fashion (which is what slashing is really about, maintaining distance by creating a "barrier" with the moving knife) in quite a number of cases, particularly when the knifeman is unskilled or has a lack of experience/confidence. And, while they can be quite nasty, and potentially deadly (depending on targeting), slashes just don't tend to result in as many deaths (relatively speaking) compared to stabs, or blunt trauma to the skull.

In terms of your experience with people who have been attacked with bats, all I can say is that goes against all other accounts I've come across. A simple google for "Baseball bat injuries statistics" brings up consistent references to "facial injuries, brain trauma, cranial injuries" etc, with this (old) comment being representative of the most common accounts I've come across: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8483176 Note in particular this section:

Multisystem trauma was documented, with craniocerebral injury being the most frequent, and the most frequent cause of death.

In other words, the most common target was the head, and that was the most common cause of death when a baseball bat was involved. It may be important to note that in many cases, the person involved didn't just die on the spot, but may be knocked out, end in a coma, or pass away from injuries over a short time.

hechavez

White Belt
Reaction score
I have a purple sash in Choy Li Fut Kung Fu and a blue sash in Tai Chi Chuan Yang. I am Visayan born in Tampa, Florida, who is !/4 Amoy Chinese, I have an anting-anting given to me by an ancestral spirit. It has helped me stay out of serious trouble. I also walk away from potential confrontations (which used to be more common decades ago). I also have taken Pangasinan Toledo Eskrima and Eskrima Serrada. Something like 85% of Filipino martial artists carry a small knife in their pocket. I have taken several years of Filipino knife training. My knife (which was a gift to me) has the point rounded off.

First of all, in an actual confrontation, I would use Tai Chi and chi. It would quickly flow into a blend of Kung Fu and bare-hands Filipino martial arts only if necessary.

72ronin

Purple Belt
Reaction score
If we were to look at the vast majority of assault (battery/aggravated etc), we would also find overwhelming statistics showing defensive trauma to the forearms from a raised position.
In other words, the head is targeted - resulting in injury to the forearms raised in a defensive position. Generaly, the head is targeted so commonly, you could summise that most attackers almost go tunnel vision for it as a target.
The psychology involved also plays into this.

I dont carry a weapon (Australia), rarely is there not a weapon available in any given environment/scenario. I would consider a tactical pen or sturdy keychain implement to act as a kobutan type of thing before carrying an obvious weapon. I use clublocks for my vehicles which remain easily accessed while driving etc that kind of thing.
And will typicaly be aware of potential items while walking/jogging and so on - that partialy comes from a multitude of dog attacks actualy lol, while most (for example) dogs will get to a few feet away and snap at you, not entirely commited to making contact, there are quite a few that have not built that psychological barrier and will go for you.

At this point, being aware of the immediate environment that being - potential weapons and potential threats (Whatever that may be, in this example dog), isnt too far removed from many other type of threats we may encounter imo.

I am ofcourse speaking from the point of view as an Australian, where the law may be quite different from yours. Carrying a weapon here (lets say, a standard folding knife under 3 inches length) and finding cause to use it will get you grilled and you may find yourself being interviewed for potential charges you didnt expect - not advised.
As always, if your not prepared to fully use it/ face the possible consequences of using it, dont carry it. (thats my legal advice worth about 2 cents lol)
Proceed with caution :)

szorn

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
If you had to carry any weapon for self defense besides a gun, what would you use?

Whatever I have on my person or within reach is the best self-defense weapon. That said, I am a fan of edged weapons for potential lethal force situations and the use of pens / felt-tip markers for less-than-lethal situations.

Steve

szorn

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
If we were to look at the vast majority of assault (battery/aggravated etc), we would also find overwhelming statistics showing defensive trauma to the forearms from a raised position.
In other words, the head is targeted - resulting in injury to the forearms raised in a defensive position. Generaly, the head is targeted so commonly, you could summise that most attackers almost go tunnel vision for it as a target.
The psychology involved also plays into this.

This is a common physiological response to assault. Even highly trained martial artists will resort to head-hunting under stress (even if that's not how they train) because everyone instinctively knows it's the center of motor-control. It goes back to the research on the reptilian brain. Also, intended victims will instinctively protect the head during assault because they subconsciously know they must remain conscious in order to protect themselves.

Knowing this can actually be advantageous for both offense and defense.

I dont carry a weapon (Australia), rarely is there not a weapon available in any given environment/scenario. I would consider a tactical pen or sturdy keychain implement to act as a kobutan type of thing before carrying an obvious weapon. I use clublocks for my vehicles which remain easily accessed while driving etc that kind of thing.

Here in the states the tactical pen and kubotan are considered to be unlawful martial arts weapons by some states and jurisdictions. This is why I advocate improvised weapons training, learning to use anything on the person or the immediate environment rather than going out and buying specialized items designed for self-defense that may be frowned upon by law enforcement or in a court of law.

zilverkakashi

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
uhmmm i have a small knife as well but i rarely bring it. i only choose to do so if i feel like it... our area is always very dangerous though... but most of the time i choose to bring a normal ballpen (common object) for self defense or a small tactical flashlight.. of course you need to train in a martial art as well just in case... nail cutter sometimes but metal detectors at certain malls can also detect it... so i would go for COMMON OBJECTS like a pen or bag or flashlight etc.

Latest Discussions