Is there such a thing as being "over armed"?

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Is it possible to be too well armed for self-defense? This question comes to mind after reading some of the posts in the thread, Some Daily Carry Options... I mean, regardless of the legality, if you are carrying a small arsenal of guns, knives, and other weapons, what will it look like to those who will sit in judgement of you, should you ever have to use a weapon in self-defense. If you are attacked and you use a knife or gun in self defense, that's one thing. But if the cops, judge or jury find that you were literally armed to the bloody teeth, how will that play? Might it not look like you were spoiling for a fight, ...like you might possibly have provoked the situation? It might be different for LEOs, security personnel and people whose jobs place them in situations of unusual risk. But what about the normal guy who carries several guns, large and small knives, and all kinds of other vicious doo-dads? Even if it's legal where you live, such behavior might seem a bit like a wacko to some? Just a thought.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Is it possible someone may think you're nuts? Sure. Is it possible to be overarmed? I don't know, sometimes, though, killing a fly with a sledgehammer is entirely appropriate...

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
Is it possible someone may think you're nuts? Sure. Is it possible to be overarmed? I don't know, sometimes, though, killing a fly with a sledgehammer is entirely appropriate...

The problem of course if you have to be judged by people who think you are nuts. Preparing for urban warfare on a daily basis, rather than self defense will be counterproductive. Society frowns upon killing flies with a sledgehammer, and for good reason.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is it possible to be too well armed for self-defense? This question comes to mind after reading some of the posts in the thread, Some Daily Carry Options... I mean, regardless of the legality, if you are carrying a small arsenal of guns, knives, and other weapons, what will it look like to those who will sit in judgement of you, should you ever have to use a weapon in self-defense. If you are attacked and you use a knife or gun in self defense, that's one thing. But if the cops, judge or jury find that you were literally armed to the bloody teeth, how will that play? Might it not look like you were spoiling for a fight, ...like you might possibly have provoked the situation? It might be different for LEOs, security personnel and people whose jobs place them in situations of unusual risk. But what about the normal guy who carries several guns, large and small knives, and all kinds of other vicious doo-dads? Even if it's legal where you live, such behavior might seem a bit like a wacko to some? Just a thought.
Excellent point.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I suspect that there are a lot of would-be Travis Bickles around here. I'm not too worried; most of their fantasies are just that.

The biggest problem with carrying concealed for most people is not that they carry too much weaponry; it's that they don't carry all the time. Guns and ammunition can be heavy, and are a PITA to strap on every single time you step outside your door. As Murphy's Law would have it, the day you need a weapon will be the day you left it at home 'just this once'. I tend to suspect that making one's life more complicated with multiple guns would exacerbate that problem.

One also wonders about those who carry a lot of ordnance and talk about it. No one is anonymous on the internet.

Just some thoughts and observations. I'm rather fond of a pocket knife, myself. Perfectly legal, I never forget it or decide to do without it, and it's also a dandy rescue tool, for which purpose I have had to use it and was damned glad I had it on me at the time.

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think it is possible to be "over armed," though not for the reason mentioned on the OP (possible negative appearance).

I agree with Bill that if you don't carry it all the time, then it doesn't do you any good. So choose something you will carry all the time. The other side of this coin is, IMO, having a mindset that says "I'm gonna carry it even if it isn't the most comfortable thing to do all the time." Because the time that you leave it behind just because "I didn't feel like it today," might be the time you actually need it.

The other reason is that you always have to be aware that you may have to fight to retain whatever you have. If you're in a struggle and the BG sees/feels one of your weapons, he/she may try to take it and use it themselves. Don't carry any more than you can defend.

dbell

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Carrying multiple weapons on you daily, just in case, is, to me, over kill (pun intended). If you are a good martial artist, well versed in your system, using your hands, legs, body, mind, and one weapon is all you should need. A weapon you are well trained with and know how to use, be it a pistol, knife, walking stick, etc. Having more is just not needed. The key is to be well trained in what you carry, and not bragging or posting that you are carrying it for "defense" purposes...

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
punish_425.jpg

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
There's a functional line. I rarely leave the house without a gun; it kind of goes with my profession. I carry knife; mostly as tool, though I can defend myself with it needed. I carry a multi-tool, as well... because it's just plain handy to have around. If I'm on the clock, I add cuffs and a spare mag. I've often got them when I'm off, as well -- and I almost always have some form of restraint -- because I don't want to end up in a situation where I'm in plainclothes, and trying to figure out how to restrain someone other than at gunpoint isn't a situation I want to end up in.

There are people out there who aren't cops, security professionals, or anyone else with a reason for carrying an armory who carry more stuff most SWAT operators, enough to make the Punisher turn green with envy... Hey, assuming it's all legally carried, they're within their rights... but you gotta wonder what's going on in their head. I carry a lot of stuff on duty because it's my job to go in harm's way; off the clock? I'm prepared because I never want to have to live with myself saying "if only I'd carried a gun that day..."

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There are people out there who aren't cops, security professionals, or anyone else with a reason for carrying an armory who carry more stuff most SWAT operators, enough to make the Punisher turn green with envy... Hey, assuming it's all legally carried, they're within their rights... but you gotta wonder what's going on in their head.

Like I said, Travis Bickle...

[Warning: Language]

Last edited by a moderator:

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Off Topic Post: I use to work with a copper that carried 3 firearms on him at all times. That's one in his holster, one in the small of his back, one on his ankle. Only problem was that he couldnt hit the boadside of a barn with either of them..

l_uk3y

Green Belt
Reaction score
Off Topic Post: I use to work with a copper that carried 3 firearms on him at all times. That's one in his holster, one in the small of his back, one on his ankle. Only problem was that he couldnt hit the boadside of a barn with either of them..

Which means he may as well only carry one, add some training and maybe some modifications to help him use it better.

I don't see why you would need more then 1 knife and 1 firearm. As long as you have fast and easy access when needed and they are reliable. Any more then that is overkill unless you intend to start a small war. Also at what point does carrying lots of gear take away from the ability to defend yourself with just your hands and feet if needed due to be overloaded.

1 famous saying comes to mind, "Quality before Quantity"

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I do think there is a thing called overkill.
Going to church on a sunday morning fully armed is one such example.
But walking into a dangerous neighborhood (gang territory, et al) because a friend/sig other is stranded and needs a ride outta there isn't over kill because often times they're probably more heavily armed than you are.

How much one should carry on their persons I think should be determined by where one is and the circumstances (as well as the time of day). A good MA-ist or warrior mind set should know and know how to judge appropriate weaponry to meet the situation however hypothetical it may be.

Oh sure there are those who think that "you never know when you'll end up in the middle of a gun battle inside of a McDonalds. :rolleyes: While it's possible... if the eatery is in a bad neighborhood... chances are not likely.

Being realistic, and being trained to deal with whatever situation that you find yourself in with whatever weaponry (or lack of) you have in your hands, should carry you through. All of that and a cool head.

I have my pocket folder and my SD training... roughly 90% of the time that would've been adequate. When I'm out camping or hiking in the deep woods I'll carry a large Dundee type knife on my person along with my folder, mainly because I don't worry so much about bears as I worry about hearing banjo music. Beyond that... meh.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Which means he may as well only carry one, add some training and maybe some modifications to help him use it better.

I don't see why you would need more then 1 knife and 1 firearm. As long as you have fast and easy access when needed and they are reliable. Any more then that is overkill unless you intend to start a small war. Also at what point does carrying lots of gear take away from the ability to defend yourself with just your hands and feet if needed due to be overloaded.

1 famous saying comes to mind, "Quality before Quantity"

He should have, but he didnt..The funniest part of this whole story was that he didnt work the streets much, he prefered to work one of the secured facilities that required an officer to be on duty. He was seated benind the best bullet resistant glass that money could buy..

Reaction score

I can respect what your saying. However, legally your requiredto use only the force necessary to protect/repel yourself from an attack. If you go overboard--you'll be standing tall before the man to explain yourself.

Of course, once the zombie apocalypse hits then all bets are off.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

On a similar note...most of the cops, where I work, carry 2 extra clips of ammo. However, there is one guy who carries 4.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

IMO, I say to each their own. I dont see anything wrong with a blade and/or firearm. More than that....well, unless you live in a real high crime area or your profession is a LEO, security, bodyguard, and things of that nature, then yeah, people, including the cops, probably would look at you like you were preparing for WW3.

xJOHNx

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Do not collect weapons or practice with weapons beyond what is useful.
Dokkodo, by Miyamoto Musashi

this applies to the old school weapons.
But I don't see the point in having both a kobutan, a spanish club, a taser, 2 handsguns, pepperspray, brass knuckles, a heavy flashlight and an assortment of knives..

I only have 2 hands and under the circumstances I don't want to select the wrong weapon on instinct alone.. i.e. drawing a knife versus someone with a bat.

Although the knife is definitively the better psychological choice.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
On a similar note...most of the cops, where I work, carry 2 extra clips of ammo. However, there is one guy who carries 4.

We had one jackwagon (that is now a Sgt) carry shotgun rounds on his belt.

Latest Discussions