Self Defense and Equipment

Billy02

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
A person should always be prepared for any kind of situation, lets say you are walking alone and you get into a situation where one has to perform a self defense act, what weapon should one carry for convenient use and at the same time it is effective.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well...

Firstly, what are you allowed to carry? Legislation varies as to "self defence" being good cause for carrying any item (for instance, here, no item at all is allowed to be carried as any sort of intentional weapon).

Anything you think of, there are two parts to "are you prepared to use it?"

Part one - a weapon causes damage, can you accept doing that? If you have a knife are you prepared to possibly get soaked in someone's blood? If you have a gun are you prepared to watch the effects? If you have a gun and miss, are you prepared to deal with your projectile going through someone's window and killing their toddler?

Part two - are you physically able to use any weapon you choose? Nothing will do the work for you, you need to train with it. A weapon is nothing less than a liability if it gets taken away and used against you by someone who is prepared to use it.

Effectiveness? That's entirely on you. A handful of sand can win a gunfight if the balance of personal effectiveness is so inclined.

The most convenient and effective weapon ever is your mind and what you can do with it.

OP
B

Billy02

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Well...

Firstly, what are you allowed to carry? Legislation varies as to "self defence" being good cause for carrying any item (for instance, here, no item at all is allowed to be carried as any sort of intentional weapon).

Anything you think of, there are two parts to "are you prepared to use it?"

Part one - a weapon causes damage, can you accept doing that? If you have a knife are you prepared to possibly get soaked in someone's blood? If you have a gun are you prepared to watch the effects? If you have a gun and miss, are you prepared to deal with your projectile going through someone's window and killing their toddler?

Part two - are you physically able to use any weapon you choose? Nothing will do the work for you, you need to train with it. A weapon is nothing less than a liability if it gets taken away and used against you by someone who is prepared to use it.

Effectiveness? That's entirely on you. A handful of sand can win a gunfight if the balance of personal effectiveness is so inclined.

The most convenient and effective weapon ever is your mind and what you can do with it.

Right! but then the situation can come when the attacker has a knife and all, one can defend if the have so weapon on them, about the legality part, US allows various item depends of the state law, where i am i can carry this Buy Tactical Z Warrior Full Tang Emergency Neck Knife Online at Lowest Price and also this Buy CSGO Deep Aversion Neck Tactical Boot Knife Online at Lowest Price. they are easy to carry and useful as well.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
A person should always be prepared for any kind of situation, lets say you are walking alone and you get into a situation where one has to perform a self defense act, what weapon should one carry for convenient use and at the same time it is effective.
A cell phone

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why do you /need/ to carry a weapon?

Because evil people exist, and they don't follow any rules. I've treated countless victims of evil people, and I've personally lost an eye to one of them. I don't have any more spare parts.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
Nike shoe defense
large.jpg

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
what weapon should one carry for convenient use and at the same time it is effective.

• Loud Whistle
  • Tactical pen
  • Pepper spay
  • Taser
  • Knife
  • Hand gun
  • Shot gun
  • Rifle
all of these are effective at different levels. "individual results will vary" the question is, what is the situation and what results are you looking to obtain?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

Depends on what you're allowed to carry in your area (although an argument could easily be made that it's better to survive and face weapons charges than to die unarmed). And what you're trained with.
Personally, I carry my hands and feet. That amounts to roughly 50 years of training in various arts (primarily styles of TKD) as well as Run-Fu (still an option, even at my age). So far, this has been all I've actually needed.
I also carry a knife. Generally a Benchmade Autostryker, which is mostly used for trimming hangnails and opening mail.
And I carry a gun. My every day carry gun is a Glock 19 with fiberoptic sights and a Pyramid trigger system set for a 4lb pull, which to date has only been used for punching holes in various paper or plastic targets.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Walking sticks are good, sword sticks are better.
Seriously if you want a close quarter hand weapon, there not much that beats a tIN of beans in a plastic bag or just a tIN of beans if you forget the bag

mrt2

Brown Belt
Reaction score
A very open ended question. But let me unpack your opening statement. While it is a good idea to walk with confidence, and have an idea of what you might do if confronted, nobody can ALWAYS be prepared for ANY kind of situation.

As far as arming yourself, particularly with a deadly weapon, consider whether you are prepared to use deadly force, and if you kill someone, even god forbid a bystander if you fire a gun and miss, could you live with yourself. Better to work this out in your mind before just going off half cocked.

Second, whatever you use, you need to train with it. As others have said, it doesn't do you any good if a would be assailant takes your weapon and uses it against you.

Third, consider under what circumstances carrying a weapon can make you a target and actually create the situation you seek to avoid, or can get you in trouble with law enforcement.

A couple of real world scenarios. For the former, I once represented in court a guy who was accused of organizing an armed home invasion, and robbing a guy. Why? Because the guy was telling anyone who would listen how he always carried a gun, and kept an arsenal of guns in his apartment. The victim apparently figured, what good is it being heavily armed if nobody knows about it. Guess what? My former client and some other guys robbed this guy, used a ruse to get into the guy's house, and managed to take his gun away from him, tie him up, and ransack the house, stealing the rest of the guy's guns.

For the latter, one of my friends represented a guy who because of where he lived, liked to arm himself with a gun. One day after a day of drinking during a family funeral, this guy was on his way home, but stopped at a convenience store. Because a man entering a convenience store armed with a handgun would likely cause concern, he concealed the gun in his pocket. While in the convenience store, he got in an argument with the clerk and police were called. The guy is eventually arrested, and gets charged with carrying a concealed weapon without a permit. Not a major felony, but it does face up to 9 months in jail for the offense. Now, had the guy purchased a permit, he would have been in the clear for the concealed carry, but he still would have had a problem with arming himself while intoxicated.

So maybe the problem is the gun, and a knife would be a better weapon to choose. Consider this story. About 10 years ago, I worked on a case involving a guy who armed himself with a knife when he went out, just in case. One night he was out for a walk with his girlfriend when he came across two drunks stumbling home after attending a house party. Words were exchanged, my former client drew his knife, and cut both guys up pretty badly. One of the drunks nearly bled to death because my former client stabbed him in the abdomen.. The other suffered permanent nerve damage because my former client stabbed him in the neck. My former client took the case to trial, lost, and got 10 years.

Last edited:

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
I believe the old adage is never bring a knife to a gunfight. ;)

OP
B

Billy02

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Walking sticks are good, sword sticks are better.
Seriously if you want a close quarter hand weapon, there not much that beats a tIN of beans in a plastic bag or just a tIN of beans if you forget the bag
Haha thats true but cannot carry a bag on tin beans all the time.

OP
B

Billy02

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Because evil people exist, and they don't follow any rules. I've treated countless victims of evil people, and I've personally lost an eye to one of them. I don't have any more spare parts.
Yes different people exist and different situations occur.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Nobody is ever prepared for anything.....sorta'. They key is being able to adapt to the situation as it arises.

As for a weapon, first there's the legality, second, it depends on how well you can use said weapon.

Latest Discussions