What clothes do you train in

psilent child

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I’m just curious on what everyone is using as training gear. Right now I just use some Addis sweet paints and whatever shirt I feel like putting on. I would like to get some clothes strictly for training. I’m thinking about some compression shorts and dry fit shirt. What do you guys wear? Right now I train him n Kajukenbo, but I would like to do some BJJ competitions so I’m going to start training in BJJ and Hayastan grappling soon.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
At the dojang, I wear a dobak (shocking!).
At home, I wear sweat pants and a t-shirt.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
I’m just curious on what everyone is using as training gear. Right now I just use some Addis sweet paints and whatever shirt I feel like putting on. I would like to get some clothes strictly for training. I’m thinking about some compression shorts and dry fit shirt. What do you guys wear? Right now I train him n Kajukenbo, but I would like to do some BJJ competitions so I’m going to start training in BJJ and Hayastan grappling soon.
If your doing bjj you'll either need a gi or a rash guard or both

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
At home I even wear my gi, I can't not! Everything feels better in it. When weight training/running just a singlet and shorts.

But if there is anyone out their using compression tops/bottoms, how have you found them? Comfortable, easy to train in? I've read many things like they help encourage blood flow, enhance performance and muscular function and also help recovery. I'd love some feedback if anyone has any! (Sorry to thread steal a bit hehe but relevant I reckon!)

OP
P

psilent child

Orange Belt
Reaction score
At home I even wear my gi, I can't not! Everything feels better in it. When weight training/running just a singlet and shorts.

But if there is anyone out their using compression tops/bottoms, how have you found them? Comfortable, easy to train in? I've read many things like they help encourage blood flow, enhance performance and muscular function and also help recovery. I'd love some feedback if anyone has any! (Sorry to thread steal a bit hehe but relevant I reckon!)
I was just getting ready tand ask that. What about those socks with the heel out? I’m not sure what they are called. I guessing they would help with slipping when I start BJJ.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have a gi from Kajukenbo. Do you recommend a certain brand rash guard?
More than likely you'll need a bjj gi. Bjj gis don't have string to tie it up with like karate gis because of the risk of getting your fingers caught while grappling plus they'd be ripped off pretty quick anyway and bjj gis are thicker stronger material. As for rash guards most likely the school will sell there own. At mine people can wear whatever brands they like I just bought one from the club as it was easiest but I know some places are more picky than others. Hey I know one guy ah my place who wears a Spider-Man rash guard lol

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score

You shouldn't always train in gi. In class obviously do as your told but at home you should in different clothes because in a real situation you most likely won't be wearing a gi.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
There's quite a lot of science behind them and they are very popular with prOFEssional sports men, yes they care comfy, one you get used to the constriction, I'm not sure if any tangible benifits,it's hard To actually say

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

There are lots of theories, and lots of claims. I do not believe there is any actual science to support those claims, however. Based on my own understanding of human physiology it seems unlikely that these claims will be provable.
Compression clothing can be quite comfortable, and that's a good enough reason to wear it. I wear compression shorts under my wetsuit, for example, because they're the only thing (other than the never-appropriate budgie smuggler...) that doesn't bunch up.

I was just getting ready tand ask that. What about those socks with the heel out? I’m not sure what they are called. I guessing they would help with slipping when I start BJJ.

I think they're called "worn out."

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
OK, so I did some quick and cursory checking, and there are a few studies on the subject of compression wear. Including one sponsored by Nike which, although it used a fairly small sample group, is based on pretty good methodology. They didn't find any actual difference in an athletes performance based on wearing this stuff. The conclusion is that compression gear, as a performance enhancer, is 'basically worthless.'

Could there be a placebo effect? Sure. That's a real thing. But it's not something I'd care to rely on.

Wear it if you want. I do, for reasons of comfort. It's certainly not going to have any negative impact. But neither is there any reason to think there will be any positive effect.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
At the dojang, I wear my dobok. For sparring club, I wear my Taekwondo pants, but just our sparring club t-shirt and my black belt (students wear the pants and t-shirt, instructors wear the black belt over their t-shirt).

At home, the most important thing is I wear socks! I hate the feeling of my feet pivoting over carpet when I'm doing kicks and punches.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Let's see,
For Muay Thai, shorts and a tee shirt or compression shirt. Often shirtless.
For Wing Chun, pants (see my avator) or shorts & tee shirt
For Kali...same as Wing Chun
For Combat Submission Wrestling. Shorts & tee shirt or compression shorts or compression shirt.
For BJJ with Gi... a gi. For BJJ no gi...same as CSW.

Compression wear is comfortable and makes no gi work much quicker due to less resistance and a lack of loose clothing bunching up creating more resistance on the mat and against your partner.

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
At the gym, whatever is acceptable or normal there (t-shirt and shorts...).
At home, casual clothes, jeans (self-defence mindset).

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Compression shorts have always been comfortable for me - I used to wear bike shorts under my uniform playing goalkeeper in soccer. The compression shirts (including rash guards) took a bit of getting used to. If you don't normally wear stretch clothing that fits tight, they feel confining at first. Now, I actually prefer them in a lot of cases.

TO THE OP:
I normally train in a gi. Every now and then (and often at home) I train in "street clothes", meaning whatever I happen to be wearing (might even include a blazer and tie, on the odd days). Sometimes I train in just workout gear (which might mean loose shorts and t-shirt, or might mean compression clothing). I have a short sleeve rash guard, spats and grappling shorts, but I rarely use them for training. The shorts and spats are pretty good for mud runs, though.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK, so I did some quick and cursory checking, and there are a few studies on the subject of compression wear. Including one sponsored by Nike which, although it used a fairly small sample group, is based on pretty good methodology. They didn't find any actual difference in an athletes performance based on wearing this stuff. The conclusion is that compression gear, as a performance enhancer, is 'basically worthless.'

Could there be a placebo effect? Sure. That's a real thing. But it's not something I'd care to rely on.

Wear it if you want. I do, for reasons of comfort. It's certainly not going to have any negative impact. But neither is there any reason to think there will be any positive effect.
I haven't looked, so I'm interested if you ran into anything specifically about compression socks. My calves seem to recover more quickly (I use them a lot when running, apparently) if I wear compression socks when I run. Might - as you say - be just placebo effect. Of course, if it is, and stops working because I found that out, I'll be cussing at you when I get up the next morning and can't walk right.

Latest Discussions