training clothes: I don't care, but I kinda do

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you are going to buy a gi then I agree you should invest money in a high quality one so it lasts longer. I was referring to the flashier less practical gear that the OP was talking about. If the students are buying it to look cool and it serves no practical purpose, then they're just wasting money. My jujitsu gi was $50, but that was practical given it was for jujitsu.
If they are going to wear shorts and shoes, anyway, why not some they like?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
We buy a lightweight dobak wholesale and sell them to students for $20. They may outgrow them, but otherwise a student might need two of them before they reach black belt (6-8 years, on average). Personally, I buy mine from a place in Korea (Moo Sool Sa) that custom makes them, so they actually fit (I am 6'1", 220lb, long arms, long torso, short legs (my pants have the same inseam as my 5'7" wife...)). I spend less than $100 each. I've got one in black with white diamonds, one red with black diamonds, and two white with black diamonds. Why do I spend extra on the embroidery? Because I think it looks nice, and it's my money. Given how much time I spend in them, I think it's worth the small extra price. These are a heavy weight dobak, V-neck rather than wrap, and they hold up well to grappling.

Anarax

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
If they are going to wear shorts and shoes, anyway, why not some they like?

I was saying what I would do in that situation. The gym/dojo is a place where I'm not overly concerned with my attire, I don't care how cool or flashy I look. If that's what others are concerned with, then that's fine. I was approaching it more from a personal and economic standpoint. I rather invest my money in good sparring gear or something more practical.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was saying what I would do in that situation. The gym/dojo is a place where I'm not overly concerned with my attire, I don't care how cool or flashy I look. If that's what others are concerned with, then that's fine. I was approaching it more from a personal and economic standpoint. I rather invest my money in good sparring gear or something more practical.
I can agree with that. My point was just that they are actually going to buy some clothes, anyway. Whether it's replacing everyday stuff they wear to class (because it wears out faster), or they buy something specifically for class. The cost difference is negligible in most cases, unless they get into the really expensive stuff. I can't see myself buying the expensive stuff, even if money were plentiful enough to make the cost negligible, but I would look for what I like, and probably have stuff just for class if I didn't use a dogi. I know because I do that with my running gear. I spend very little, but it's stuff I like the way I look in, for the most part.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It matters less what you wear than the fact it's clean and odour free! Training with someone whose kit stinks of stale sweat is plain disrespectful and disgusting. It's not about looking smart as much as looking workmanlike and dare I say 'professional'. Turning up in shorts that are ripped and dirty and may show more than you intend is also unpleasant for other students, wearing t shirts with dubious slogans on is also disrespectful. Turning up clean and tidy, nails clipped, hands and feet also clean is the best way to come for training.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It matters less what you wear than the fact it's clean and odour free! Training with someone whose kit stinks of stale sweat is plain disrespectful and disgusting. It's not about looking smart as much as looking workmanlike and dare I say 'professional'. Turning up in shorts that are ripped and dirty and may show more than you intend is also unpleasant for other students, wearing t shirts with dubious slogans on is also disrespectful. Turning up clean and tidy, nails clipped, hands and feet also clean is the best way to come for training.

See I love a dubious slogan on a t shirt.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Well dubiousness doesnt just happen. It takes work.
Now that sounds like a slogan appropos for the aforementioned shirt!

Meanwhile I still need to get a batch of Carpei Baculum shirts made up for our Escrima group. I find both meanings of the phrase relevant to self defense with or without a stick!

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Now that sounds like a slogan appropos for the aforementioned shirt!

Meanwhile I still need to get a batch of Carpei Baculum shirts made up for our Escrima group. I find both meanings of the phrase relevant to self defense with or without a stick!
What an excellent side-thread this turned out to be!

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't understand the purpose of buying expensive flashy gear for training.

If the students are buying it to look cool and it serves no practical purpose, then they're just wasting money.
ElvisPresleyKarate1.jpg

some people dont mind the extra expense and can afford anything they like.

Latest Discussions