Training while wearing normal street clothes?

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
TigerWoman said:
And I don't think we will get any of our business guys who wear suits, change to doboks usually, to go workout in them. TW
Me neither - I wouldn't want to work out in a $700 clothing investment, either. Now that you typed that though, I'm wondering about a cheapy suit from Goodwill or something just to try it out. Hmmmm....

OP
Dragon Fist

Dragon Fist

Blue Belt
Reaction score
shesulsa said:
Me neither - I wouldn't want to work out in a $700 clothing investment, either. Now that you typed that though, I'm wondering about a cheapy suit from Goodwill or something just to try it out. Hmmmm....
I wouldn't want them to ruin their good clothes either, wearing. As you would say, a "cheapy suit" is a great idea.

Gin-Gin

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sure, why not?
Although I'm just a student, here's my two-cents: although I prefer to train in a gi (to protect my regular clothes & have maximum range of motion while exercising), I do practice at home in "streetclothes," which for me are a t-shirt & jeans. I'm not at the point where I can afford to mess up my workclothes yet (dresses or nice blouses & slacks with stockings & pumps), but whenever I get a new outfit for work (maybe after Christmas?), I may get my oldest outfit & try it some time...

Glad you started this thread--lots of good ideas from folks! :)

OP
Dragon Fist

Dragon Fist

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Gin-Gin said:
but whenever I get a new outfit for work (maybe after Christmas?), I may get my oldest outfit & try it some time...

Glad you started this thread--lots of good ideas from folks! :)
Thanks Gin-Gin, after awhile you will find it a little bit easier and easier to move wearing restrictive clothing. Pracitce makes perfect!

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
Good posts everyone. As I said before, I wear street clothes when I train on my own. I do prefer a gi for training in the studio just so you don't mess up your normal clothes with all the grabbing/pulling/throwing. Since we don't use a lot of high kicks in Kenpo, I'm not concerned enough about range of motion issues to worry about special jeans. The biggest issue for me is footwear. I wear cowboy boots about 90% of the time (when not working). The downside is that you don't have the level of traction that you would have with sneakers etc. The upside is that they support your feet and ankles and it's going to hurt a heck of a lot more than getting kicked or stomped by regular shoes.

OP
Dragon Fist

Dragon Fist

Blue Belt
Reaction score
kenpotex said:
Good posts everyone. As I said before, I wear street clothes when I train on my own. I do prefer a gi for training in the studio just so you don't mess up your normal clothes with all the grabbing/pulling/throwing. Since we don't use a lot of high kicks in Kenpo, I'm not concerned enough about range of motion issues to worry about special jeans. The biggest issue for me is footwear. I wear cowboy boots about 90% of the time (when not working). The downside is that you don't have the level of traction that you would have with sneakers etc. The upside is that they support your feet and ankles and it's going to hurt a heck of a lot more than getting kicked or stomped by regular shoes.
I know what you mean about the shoes.
Sometimes I wear steel toes,
I wouldn't want to be kicked with one of those.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes, it's an EXCELLENT concept..I do it when I train police officers...I make them wear a pair of duty slacks and whatever boots they wear on the streets..It changes all the rules of what will and will not work..

OP
Dragon Fist

Dragon Fist

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Drac said:
Yes, it's an EXCELLENT concept..I do it when I train police officers...I make them wear a pair of duty slacks and whatever boots they wear on the streets..It changes all the rules of what will and will not work..
Right on Drac, I do the same with my brother who is in the Army.

INDYFIGHTER

Purple Belt
Reaction score
My Kempo school has no dress code. Students are incouraged to wear street clothes. An instructor told a story about a student who wore those really baggy pants to class one night. He said after the kid tripped over his pants and evertually fell on his butt a few times from trying to throw kicks he never wore them to class again. I think if your truely training for self-defense then you should at least occasionally try your tech's in plain clothes to get used to it.

OP
Dragon Fist

Dragon Fist

Blue Belt
Reaction score
We only do it once a week.
Normally I have them wear their Gi's out of respect for the Art, dojo and tradition.
Usually learning will take place wearing a Gi' and practice takes place wearing street clothes. As I mentioned earlier, I encourage them to practice in their street clothes at home.

Adept

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
During class people usually wear a uniform for convenience sake. A lot of people will wear a t-shirt instead of a uniform top though.

At home I (like most folks, apparently) always train in casual streetwear. I'm fortunate to have never worked in an industry that required a strict dress code or movement limiting uniform. I usually wear loose labourers pants, a t-shirt (and pull-over if its cold) and steel-cap work boots (which are extremely comfortable).

When choosing clothes to wear out on a special occasion, I always have range of movement and such in mind. It's just another aspect of awareness, being aware of your own clothes and the limitations they impose.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Dragon Fist said:
Right on Drac, I do the same with my brother who is in the Army.
Someday I hope to get them to wear the whole uniform ie duty rig and vest..But one thing at a time..It's like pulling teeth to get some of them to train at all..

Eldritch Knight

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Dragon Fist said:
Can anyone think of the worst possible clothes to be wearing during a fight?

My best bet would go on a well-tailored suit or tux (men) or evening dress (women)

OP
Dragon Fist

Dragon Fist

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Eldritch Knight said:
My best bet would go on a well-tailored suit or tux (men) or evening dress (women)
As An Eternal Student mentioned earlier, probably the worst part of wearing the suit, are the shoes, those slippery shoes.

Eldritch Knight

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Well, I have rubber-soled shoes, so that's not an issue for me, but I was thinking more on the lines of the constrictive jacket and trousers. That's the only pair of pants I own that I can't kick throw a kick over the waist in. I would assume that there would be a similar problem with a woman's dress; especially the slim-fitting ones.

OP
Dragon Fist

Dragon Fist

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Eldritch Knight said:
Well, I have rubber-soled shoes, so that's not an issue for me, but I was thinking more on the lines of the constrictive jacket and trousers. That's the only pair of pants I own that I can't kick throw a kick over the waist in. I would assume that there would be a similar problem with a woman's dress; especially the slim-fitting ones.
Well, I wouldn't be able to guess about the dress, since I have never worn one. But jacket and trousers are hard to move in. I practiced in them once in an awhile

OP
Dragon Fist

Dragon Fist

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Eldritch Knight said:
Has anyone ever got into a fight wearing a well-tailored suit or tux (men) or evening dress (women)?

D

Deflecting_the_Storm

its been part of our program from the get go because thats what most people encounter life and death situations in. That is their regular clothes. So I just have everyone come in to class with whatever they have on. Most people dont wear suits or dresses but mostly jeans and t-shirts and regular shoes. Its a good way to train the mind and keep it fresh

Latest Discussions