Compression shirt or Rash guard under Gi for BJJ

Guillotinelover06

White Belt
Reaction score
I’m newer to BJJ, I’m only a white belt, and I need advice for what to wear under my Gi. I usually wear compression shorts, and a T-Shirt. I don’t like the way a T-Shirt feels under my Gi, I was looking into buying a rash guard to replace the T-shirt. I already have a Nike Pro dry-fit compression shirt, but I was wondering if there is a big enough of a difference between a rash guard and a compression shirt to spend $20 bucks for a new rash guard that’s made for bjj. I just don’t want to irritate my skin, and if a compression shirt will do the job, that would be great. But if it doesn’t, let me know so I can make that purchase.

Hot Lunch

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I’m newer to BJJ, I’m only a white belt, and I need advice for what to wear under my Gi. I usually wear compression shorts, and a T-Shirt. I don’t like the way a T-Shirt feels under my Gi, I was looking into buying a rash guard to replace the T-shirt. I already have a Nike Pro dry-fit compression shirt, but I was wondering if there is a big enough of a difference between a rash guard and a compression shirt to spend $20 bucks for a new rash guard that’s made for bjj. I just don’t want to irritate my skin, and if a compression shirt will do the job, that would be great. But if it doesn’t, let me know so I can make that purchase.
If $20 is gonna be a major concern for you, then use what you got. Had you not mentioned the price, I'd have recommended the rash guard with a quickness.

OP
G

Guillotinelover06

White Belt
Reaction score
If $20 is gonna be a major concern for you, then use what you got. Had you not mentioned the price, I'd have recommended the rash guard with a quickness.
$20 is not a major concern for me, I was wondering if a compression shirt will do the same job as a rash guard. The main goal is zero skin irritation while rolling in my Gi, will a compression shirt do that? or is a rash guard necessary?

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't think there is a difference. If there is, there's likely more difference between brands of the same type than between types.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't think there is a difference. If there is, there's likely more difference between brands of the same type than between types.

There might be a slight durability issue if someone grabs it.

I just mostly use spf rated wet suits. But BJJ rashies are around $60 here.

Screenshot_20240517_051234_Google.jpg