Training while wearing normal street clothes?

Simon Curran

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
We generally train in a Gi, but like most others when i train at home it is normal everyday clothing, which for me is generally jeans, t-shirt and steel toe cap boots/ running shoes.

I could imagine trying to train in my suit would be a real pain in the butt, but somehow I think my girlfriend might go ape if I did...:whip:

OP
Dragon Fist

Dragon Fist

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Drac said:
Someday I hope to get them to wear the whole uniform ie duty rig and vest..But one thing at a time..It's like pulling teeth to get some of them to train at all..
My brother seems to like it; he says they do it all the time in the military.

An Eternal Student

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Dragon Fist said:
Has anyone ever got into a fight wearing a well-tailored suit or tux (men) or evening dress (women)?
Well hpoefully the men would be wearing the tux and the women the dress.Kinda scary otherwise.Can you imagine anything more off-putting than fighting a a guy in dress doing martial arts?

OP
Dragon Fist

Dragon Fist

Blue Belt
Reaction score
An Eternal Student said:
Well hpoefully the men would be wearing the tux and the women the dress.Kinda scary otherwise.Can you imagine anything more off-putting than fighting a a guy in dress doing martial arts?
lol, that would be a sight to see!

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In jujutsu we work street clothes and situational training every now and then. My instructor's philosophy is that everything you would do in a self defense situation you should be able to do in a tux. Without ruining it of course, since we're assuming it's rented...:wink:

B

Black Bear

Fighting in a well-tailored suit is no problem. I feel badly for women, who have to wear absurd footwear and clothing in some situations.

Fighting is one very unlikely task among many (running, dodging, climbing a fence, jumping or breakfalling) that may arise in various "emergency" scenarios, but given we're talking among martial artists, it's a good "wholesale task" to look at. The reality is, even looked at in terms of in normal circumstances, our clothing is not logical. At formal occasions half the women have bare shoulders and shins, while we guys have three layers including one with wool and a lining--plus a noose. No way is the air temperature in the room going to be comfortable for both, let alone the weather. But we all still play along. So if frostbite or heat stroke isn't our first concern in the way we dress--why would assault? It's just one consideration we work in with all the others.

Reality-based folks trained in street clothes for years. You know what we found out? Even though we'd readily wreck or filthy our favourite suits, clubwear, etc. in the cause of self-preservation if necessary, we don't want to do it on a weekly basis (e.g. in training) when something else will do. And like someone pointed out, when you train with heavy footwear, you can really hurt your partner.

The first take-home lesson from that was that our real-life clothing should be reasonable to get around in. Footwear that is comfy and grips well is the most important. Range of motion is next. Another consideration is lack of things that snag, or break.

Part of your training should be done not necessarily in what you normally wear, but in clothing that has similar properties to what you normally wear.

Training for street while barefoot is absurd, because the way you use your feet becomes totally different, whether kicking, moving around, on the ground... sport shoes--or best, WRESTLING shoes--are the norm these days. No stubbed toes, or sprained toes from hooking in your partner's gi sleeves, etc.

Common sense will tell you what you need to do. I've worked contracts in prison. I never wore a necktie. If I worked there full-time, I'd probably cut all my necktie loops and sew velcro into them, but it's just not worth it for me to do that at this point.

On one occasion I was attacked while wearing a necktie, and sure enough, the guy choked me with it. So what? There are a dozen things I could have done if I wanted, but it was just one guy, he was puny, he wasn't cutting off my circulation or air, and the police were already coming, so I waited it out rather than snap his wrist or cut out with a tac folder.

etc.

etc.

T

Titan Uk

Have try this a couple of time, with some interesting results.
Students start to realise the advantages and disadvantages.
Great idea to try

OP
Dragon Fist

Dragon Fist

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Titan Uk said:
Have try this a couple of time, with some interesting results.
Students start to realise the advantages and disadvantages.
Great idea to try
Most of students practice in normal street clothes at home. Helps them to develope proper movements when limited by their attire.

OP
Dragon Fist

Dragon Fist

Blue Belt
Reaction score
If you and your opponent end up on the ground.
Do you think it's easier to grapple wearing street clothes, Gi, or shirtless?

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dragon Fist said:
If you and your opponent end up on the ground.
Do you think it's easier to grapple wearing street clothes, Gi, or shirtless?

Anytime one is wearing clothing, it makes the grappling process slightly easier, due to the fact that you have something to grab onto. Chokes that can be applied wearing a gi, can be modified to a shirt, jacket, etc. If you watch Royce, he uses the gi...his and his opps. if he is wearing one, to aid him.

Mike

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
We have been doing this for at least 2 and a half decades. It takes on a different perspective doesn't it!

Latest Discussions