training clothes: I don't care, but I kinda do

Runs With Fire

Black Belt
Reaction score
For those who don't have strict uniforms, everybody wears something different. Alot of guys are concerned with wearing the most "effective" clothing to give them an advantage. Particularly the young guns who want to be tough. Wearing basicaly light weight swim trunks and shirts with the sleeves torn off. As a Krav Maga instructor, new students may ask me for suitable attire options. I really don't care what they wear. One of the guys comes in wearing his office attire for class. An older man who I work with alot just wears grey sweats. I wear workboots jeans and a t-shirt unless it's cold, a flannel. Never had much issue with attire furring training. Also, I like to train in what I wear outside of the gym. I don't see the reason behind wearing flashy boxing or MT shorts and gym shoes other than looking hip. I can honestly see it as an issue; try to sidekick a thug only to realize that your legs don't work quite the same.
I like to see the people who are coming in just to train rather than trying to look cool.

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Also, I like to train in what I wear outside of the gym.
This is what is logical if training for self defence. And what I do in my backyard.

Gi/kimono is likely to last longer than other clothes and the expected in a karate or judo club. Combat sports should train close to competition 'dress code' and so on. Clothes reflect our identity (or our practice).

In general, my main issue are dirty clothes. Especially when is the instructor wearing a greyish and smelly gi! :depressed:

Last edited:

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Being an Okinawan-style dojo (I used to say 'traditional Okinawan' but I get untold amounts of crap from pouncetrifles around here), we wear a basic white gi. Students can buy one from us (and it will be a middleweight Century in that case) or they can get their own from wherever. It just has to be white. That's about it. While I have seen a few students who were desirous of getting a heavy weight gi so that it had more 'pop' to it, I haven't seen too much posturing or posing. We do karate. The rest is pretty immaterial.

OP
Runs With Fire

Runs With Fire

Black Belt
Reaction score
This is what is logical if training for self defence. And what I do in my backyard.

Gi/kimono is likely to last longer than other clothes and the expected in a karate or judo club. Combat sports should train close to competition 'dress code' and so on. Clothes reflect our identity (or our practice).

In general, my main issue are dirty clothes. Especially when is the instructor wearing a greyish and smelly gi! :depressed:
I've been known to come in covered in sawdust.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For those who don't have strict uniforms, everybody wears something different. Alot of guys are concerned with wearing the most "effective" clothing to give them an advantage. Particularly the young guns who want to be tough. Wearing basicaly light weight swim trunks and shirts with the sleeves torn off. As a Krav Maga instructor, new students may ask me for suitable attire options. I really don't care what they wear. One of the guys comes in wearing his office attire for class. An older man who I work with alot just wears grey sweats. I wear workboots jeans and a t-shirt unless it's cold, a flannel. Never had much issue with attire furring training. Also, I like to train in what I wear outside of the gym. I don't see the reason behind wearing flashy boxing or MT shorts and gym shoes other than looking hip. I can honestly see it as an issue; try to sidekick a thug only to realize that your legs don't work quite the same.
I like to see the people who are coming in just to train rather than trying to look cool.
The flashy stuff doesn't fit my personality very well, but I know why people wear those types (not styles) of clothing. The more you mix it up, the more you sweat, and the more you wear out clothing. Some things last longer than others under certain types of usage. What lasts me several years will wear out significantly faster in BJJ (much harder on the pants, with all the ground work), and somewhat faster in Judo (more firm pulling/tugging on the uniform, more torso-against-torso work in throws).

I like training in street clothes, but I don't really like replacing them. I try to train in street clothes a few times a year to stay familiar with the restrictions. And sweats and shorts don't count, unless that's what you wear normally. I wear dress pants and blazers a lot, so I want to mimic that clothing for training (sometimes I even train in an old blazer).

This reminds me - it's time for a street clothing class. I need to schedule that.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Agreed on that last bit - I really don't like finding the guy who hasn't washed his gi.

And the first bit. I get annoyed when folks show up for "street clothes" class in their gym clothes. The point of a "street clothes" class is to practice with the restrictions and advantages of what you normally wear, not to take a break from a uniform and put on something else you don't normally wear.

MA_Student

Black Belt
Reaction score
Dear lord, I hope they aren't budgie smugglers!
Lol that word brings back memories of the crap I used to get at school for wearing them (and briefs underwear) I used to get bullied bad until a few months after I started martial arts and a front kick to the gut made them stop worrying about my underwear preference lol

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lol that word brings back memories of the crap I used to get at school for wearing them (and briefs underwear) I used to get bullied bad until a few months after I started martial arts and a front kick to the gut made them stop worrying about my underwear preference lol
My "end of bullying" involved, as I recall, a seoi nage (hazy recall of Judo technique designations now), and had nothing to do with underwear. Otherwise, exactly the same story.

OP
Runs With Fire

Runs With Fire

Black Belt
Reaction score
The flashy stuff doesn't fit my personality very well, but I know why people wear those types (not styles) of clothing. The more you mix it up, the more you sweat, and the more you wear out clothing. Some things last longer than others under certain types of usage. What lasts me several years will wear out significantly faster in BJJ (much harder on the pants, with all the ground work), and somewhat faster in Judo (more firm pulling/tugging on the uniform, more torso-against-torso work in throws).

I like training in street clothes, but I don't really like replacing them. I try to train in street clothes a few times a year to stay familiar with the restrictions. And sweats and shorts don't count, unless that's what you wear normally. I wear dress pants and blazers a lot, so I want to mimic that clothing for training (sometimes I even train in an old blazer).

This reminds me - it's time for a street clothing class. I need to schedule that.
We had a "reality week" in tsd each year. For friday class we were told to wear our normal weekend attire. I showed up in chest waders, tackle bag, salmon rod, and my lucky fishing hat. Ditched the rod pretty quick.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
We had a "reality week" in tsd each year. For friday class we were told to wear our normal weekend attire. I showed up in chest waders, tackle bag, salmon rod, and my lucky fishing hat. Ditched the rod pretty quick.

Bad idea. The rod would have made an admirable improvised weapon...

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I wear the go fast kit a bit. Less material to get caught up in fingers and feet and a bit of a barrier for sweat and diseases.

I have never felt the need to train in street clothes specifically. I have never experienced a disadvantage fighting in different trousers. to the ones I have trained in.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wear the go fast kit a bit. Less material to get caught up in fingers and feet and a bit of a barrier for sweat and diseases.

I have never felt the need to train in street clothes specifically. I have never experienced a disadvantage fighting in different trousers. to the ones I have trained in.

I agree about the trousers. I don't do much kicking high enough for them to matter. My biggest risk there is that I'll tear the seat out of them if I drop into a low stance.

I'm more interested in the restriction of a blazer, and moving in different shoes. I have seen some folks wearing jeans that would be pretty restrictive, though, and pants that would fall down - being both freeing and restrictive at the same time.

To me, the other big advantage of a street clothes class is a chance to try to work with what others are wearing - what gives an advantage, and what doesn't.

Anarax

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

I don't understand the purpose of buying expensive flashy gear for training. My class doesn't require uniforms, so I usually wear shorts and worn out T-shirts. They'll usually my everyday T-shirts that have a hole or are slightly torn. If you're in a heavy grappling art like judo or jujitsu, then I can understand wearing something specifically geared towards that kind of training.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't understand the purpose of buying expensive flashy gear for training. My class doesn't require uniforms, so I usually wear shorts and worn out T-shirts. They'll usually my everyday T-shirts that have a hole or are slightly torn. If you're in a heavy grappling art like judo or jujitsu, then I can understand wearing something specifically geared towards that kind of training.
Even expensive uniforms aren't actually expensive. I've never spent more than about $100 on one, and never had one last fewer than 5 years (most much longer). If I'd spent $200 on my most expensive gi (which was my primary uniform for about 5 years, and is still completely usable - could probably go another 5 years of primary use if I wore white), I'd have invested $40 a year for the 5 years I used it. If you count the additional 8 years it has been a backup uniform, it has cost me even less. I probably spend, on average, $20 a year on uniforms for myself.

Anarax

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Even expensive uniforms aren't actually expensive. I've never spent more than about $100 on one, and never had one last fewer than 5 years (most much longer). If I'd spent $200 on my most expensive gi (which was my primary uniform for about 5 years, and is still completely usable - could probably go another 5 years of primary use if I wore white), I'd have invested $40 a year for the 5 years I used it. If you count the additional 8 years it has been a backup uniform, it has cost me even less. I probably spend, on average, $20 a year on uniforms for myself.

If you are going to buy a gi then I agree you should invest money in a high quality one so it lasts longer. I was referring to the flashier less practical gear that the OP was talking about. If the students are buying it to look cool and it serves no practical purpose, then they're just wasting money. My jujitsu gi was $50, but that was practical given it was for jujitsu.

Latest Discussions