Weightlifting for martial arts

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think you could re-read what KSD has written, what he says makes sense, that it have been used in China for centuries but was brought from there by Uechi Kanbun Sensei in the first years of the 1900s.

Thanks for pointing that one out. I was so tempted...

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One should develop himself through his own arts. But if weights is his thing, then so be it. It's not bad.

So now if you tap into the arts, you can influence muscle memory and fibre. We all have a common level among ourselves, that is to be expected. Stature wise a flyweight ain't going to knock out a heavyweight. Everybody needs to strengthen themselves through the physical, spirit or belief is not going to work unless you are at the Paramount studios. Develop yes in sprit. Body wise, that needs the physical being!

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you have a video? And you kept referring it to early and then you just said 1900 that's not early.

Tez3 is correct. Uechi brought it back in the early 1900's. IIRC, he began training circa 1897 and came back in 1910. How long they trained this (and other) ways in the temple (and other places) is open to interpretation. Suffice it to say that if he learned it in the 1890's that it was a training principle before that date.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tez3 is correct. Uechi brought it back in the early 1900's. IIRC, he began training circa 1897 and came back in 1910. How long they trained this (and other) ways in the temple (and other places) is open to interpretation. Suffice it to say that if he learned it in the 1890's that it was a training principle before that date.

You did write it clear enough to understand. :)

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So now if you tap into the arts, you can influence muscle memory and fibre. We all have a common level among ourselves, that is to be expected. Stature wise a flyweight ain't going to knock out a heavyweight. Everybody needs to strengthen themselves through the physical, spirit or belief is not going to work unless you are at the Paramount studios. Develop yes in sprit. Body wise, that needs the physical being!

You agree. Hey look I am now intrigued. Just write you're position on this please?

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
This is one of the conditioning drills brought back from China by Uechi Kanbun Sensei in the early 1900's. Historically, as reported in Uechi history, it was brought back from the Shaolin Temple in the Fukein Province. Very good for focus and concentration so it conditions from the mental perspective. Physically it conditions the grip, forearms, shoulders, chest, lats and abs. Done in Sanchin stance (as noted in the pic) it conditions the legs.
The jars are called nigiri game. They are very common in Okinawa. I'm not sure that they were introduced to Okinawa by Uechi, although certainly he would have included them in his training. I think they might have been used by all the schools. Remember, Uechi didn't start teaching for many years after returning to Okinawa. Naha-te, Shuri-te and Tomari-te were well established before that.

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The jars are called nigiri game. They are very common in Okinawa. I'm not sure that they were introduced to Okinawa by Uechi, although certainly he would have included them in his training. I think they might have been used by all the schools. Remember, Uechi didn't start teaching for many years after returning to Okinawa. Naha-te, Shuri-te and Tomari-te were well established before that.

I agree that Uechi Sensei didn't introduce them to Okinawa as whole, only to his prospective art. I'm sure that they were quite prevalent throughout the region in that era and only one of many tools used for conditioning purposes.
:)

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Now days, that stuff will get you disqualified.

Right. Because it's not like there's an entire industry devoted to helping athletes find ways to avoid being caught or anything.
:double facepalm:

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Funny, the concern about weight training and load-bearing exercises resulting in people who can't fight is never levied against the U.S. military. This I was on patrol for as much as 14 hours a day on a mountain with a pack that weighed as much as 45 pounds, and I don't think that held a candle to what our men and women in uniform do.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Right. Because it's not like there's an entire industry devoted to helping athletes find ways to avoid being caught or anything.
:double facepalm:
Sir, Im supposed to be facepalming you, not the other way around.

Zero

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Sure, genetics certainly plays a big part of it. As for those guys in the contests...it's certainly a bit more than genetics though. I highly doubt that anyone can look like that, without taking steroids.
Obviously like in anything there are those with stand out genetics or predispositions but in general it all comes down to simply hard and clever/correct training and the use, or not, of "supplements". All of the guys I know who have been of truly huge proportions have all admitted to be juicing it in some form or other. These are not guys that initially started out any stronger or bigger, or with larger frames, than anyone else..."superior" genetics in itself has little to do with it and is more often cited by those that don't know what they are talking about or are making excuses for their own lack of dedication and training.

Reactions: MJS

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Now days, that stuff will get you disqualified.

Actually it won't. In 'professional' body building, the elite competitors all juice. That's a gimmie and common knowledge. That is why there is a difference between professional and natural contests. The natural contests are tested, usually with a poly and perhaps as far as blood work. However, as DD mentioned, a LOT can be masked and you'll have juiced competitors that have been off the sauce for a while compete in the naturals as well. But in the big leagues it is common practice.

If you look at the photo of the natural guy I posted, I know him. He's 100% natural and never juiced. About 4.5% body fat when he's competing. He met Arnold back in the day and Arnold told him candidly that if he ever wanted to compete on the big stage that he'd have to be willing to juice. Turned Michael off and he became an all-natural competitor winning a plethora of natural competitions.

It's a shame really that some folks jeopardize their health to look like a freak. And sorry, that's what thy look like. A natural body builder has an awesome physique. A steroid mutant is bloated and ridiculous. When you have to put maxi pads on the insides of your thighs to keep them from chaffing because their too damn big they constantly rub together....you're too damn big.

I'm biased though, I'm a natural body builder and proud of it.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually it won't. In 'professional' body building, the elite competitors all juice. That's a gimmie and common knowledge. That is why there is a difference between professional and natural contests. The natural contests are tested, usually with a poly and perhaps as far as blood work. However, as DD mentioned, a LOT can be masked and you'll have juiced competitors that have been off the sauce for a while compete in the naturals as well. But in the big leagues it is common practice.

If you look at the photo of the natural guy I posted, I know him. He's 100% natural and never juiced. About 4.5% body fat when he's competing. He met Arnold back in the day and Arnold told him candidly that if he ever wanted to compete on the big stage that he'd have to be willing to juice. Turned Michael off and he became an all-natural competitor winning a plethora of natural competitions.

It's a shame really that some folks jeopardize their health to look like a freak. And sorry, that's what thy look like. A natural body builder has an awesome physique. A steroid mutant is bloated and ridiculous. When you have to put maxi pads on the insides of your thighs to keep them from chaffing because their too damn big they constantly rub together....you're too damn big.

I'm biased though, I'm a natural body builder and proud of it.

A work mate showed me a picture of the current state of Lex Luger. Not good.

Attachments

• Recent-Photo-of-Lex-Luger-and-Scott-Hall.jpg
    Recent-Photo-of-Lex-Luger-and-Scott-Hall.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 173

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow! I wouldn't have recognized him and I use to watch him wrestle many a year ago.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would have to Google it, but I believe he is paralysed due to excessive use of steroids. What, not sure. He has a motorised wheelchair. There is a recent interview with him on American TV. Must be 20 years since I saw him on TV.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Obviously like in anything there are those with stand out genetics or predispositions but in general it all comes down to simply hard and clever/correct training and the use, or not, of "supplements". All of the guys I know who have been of truly huge proportions have all admitted to be juicing it in some form or other. These are not guys that initially started out any stronger or bigger, or with larger frames, than anyone else..."superior" genetics in itself has little to do with it and is more often cited by those that don't know what they are talking about or are making excuses for their own lack of dedication and training.

I agree. We hear people complain that they see no change in their body, yet those same people fail to remember that there's more to it than just lifting. You can do 1000 sit ups a day, but if you eat like crap, well.....

In the end, it all comes down to hard work. How hard are you (not YOU, just a figure of speech) willing to work? If you eat right, lift right, and put in the hard work and dedication, you'll see results. If not, well, you won't see results.

Latest Discussions