Why do many traditional martial artists look down on weighlifting (some even calling it EASY)?

Skullpunch

Green Belt
Reaction score
I think OP is confusing "traditional martial arts" with "larpers who think kung fu = real life Dragonball Z fighters"

Last edited:

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Change your body significantly and your center of gravity will change. That can have an effect on your martial arts. That's about it.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think OP is confusing "traditional martial arts" with "larpers who think kung fu = real life Dragonball Z fighters"

You mean these guys didn't lift weights at all??!!
rolling.gif

rolling.gif

Nope. Didn't think so!
rolling.gif

rolling.gif

Finlay

Green Belt
Reaction score
In the TMA that I am fa,liar with there is a lot of weight training

This includes stones, stone locks, and really heavy weapons

Weight training and generally resistance training is seen as a good thing.

However isolated body building work ...... Not so much

Why do they prefer callisthenics, probably because they (who ever 'they' are)don't know anything about weight training

Kenpoguy123

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with weight lifting to add strength to your martial artist but what I hate is weight lifters who don't do any martial arts at all thinking their tough guys and can beat anyone just because of a bit of muscle

Paul_D

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with weight lifting to add strength to your martial artist but what I hate is weight lifters who don't do any martial arts at all thinking their tough guys and can beat anyone just because of a bit of muscle
I love it ;-)

I'd rather face someone who thinks they have the upper hand and underestimates me.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why do they prefer callisthenics, probably because they (who ever 'they' are)don't know anything about weight training

Actually, I suspect most instructors prefer calisthenics in their schools today for two simple reasons: cost and time. Equipment costs money, and calisthenics requires none. And, while traditional training involved weights (stone locks, etc.), those people trained a lot more than the average modern student (even the serious ones). A few calisthenics helps develop some functional strength, so they use that to get what benefit they can.

Skullpunch

Green Belt
Reaction score
You mean these guys didn't lift weights at all??!!
rolling.gif

rolling.gif

Nope. Didn't think so!
rolling.gif

rolling.gif

Well yeah lifting weights tied loose ends way later but did Goku get to planet busting levels by lifting weights? Fukk no, he did that by chasing a monkey and giving a cricket a bump on the head with a hammer.

Last edited:

Latest Discussions