Weightlifting for martial arts

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
What sort weight range do use with the workout. Do you treat it the same as working out with the loose weights. Like starting lighter then going heavier, or do you use the weight kettlebells every sesh
I tend to mix it up. Sometimes I use a 35 lb bell for warming up exercises and to help get my heart rate up. Swings, walking lunges, squats, situps. Then onto heavier bells for swings, presses, squats, turkish getups, clean and jerks, etc.
Some sessions we do lighter weights for cardio and speed drills.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry, I was in a bad mood when I wrote that. Anyways. I restate my answer:

I think one shouldn't use weights if they are trying to accomplish the true Tao of Martial Arts. I'm not saying it's bad at all because two favorite martial artists of mine used weights: Bruce lee and Jackie chan

What is Tao of martial arts? That's the question we all ask ourselves.

Mediation? Well, it is like yin/yang. Yin is your martial arts, yang is focusing on humility. (Does that make sense I'm in a hurry)

Assuming you are being serious, I still have no idea what you mean by "the true Tao of Martial arts" or why you feel that weight lifting would be in contradiction to said Tao.

D

Deleted member 32980

;)Watch the movie "man of tai chi" you'll understand. If you don't by then by god I wish you well.. Lol

Tony: not as much as a contradiction as it is holding you back, not physically but as a art and soul aspect.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
;)Watch the movie "man of tai chi" you'll understand. If you don't by then by god I wish you well.. Lol

Don't need too. So that is your point then, Tai Chi being used in an aggressive manner. What you saw in the movie was something that could be done, I would not say that was Ying and Yang IMHO.

D

Deleted member 32980

Everything relates to yin yang. It's balance.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The 'Tao' of martial arts is an esoteric add on that isn't required for proficiency or mastering ones art of choice. Training with weights is viable addition that dates back centuries IN the martial arts. Pangainoon jars are just one example or resistance (weight) training.

I'm glad you wrote that because I was sat scratching my head. I have never asked myself what the 'Tao' of martial arts is, and I like weight training.
Confused.com What has meditation relationship wise have to do with Yin & Yang?

Damn, that auto linked. Very cool this board software.

Go with compare the market please and send me the meerkat!

D

Deleted member 32980

One should develop himself through his own arts. But if weights is his thing, then so be it. It's not bad.

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One should develop himself through his own arts. But if weights is his thing, then so be it. It's not bad.

Resistance training is one of the ways in which a person can develop themselves in an art. A lot depends upon the art that they are developing proficiency in and their ultimate goal(s). Someone training for sport TKD for example may lean heavily on training that develops their speed and accuracy with a kick or punch. Someone in Judo could benefit from resistance training, particularly functional exercises that work the whole body.

I mentioned before about the use of Pangainoon stones/jars. These have been used for centuries and are a part of the overall training for several different Chinese/Okinawan arts that promote hard body conditioning. So for many arts, you cannot develop yourself to the fullest potential without resistance training.

images

Weight training, in the modern sense, is just a modern adaptation on an old theme.

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've never heard of the jars before...

This is one of the conditioning drills brought back from China by Uechi Kanbun Sensei in the early 1900's. Historically, as reported in Uechi history, it was brought back from the Shaolin Temple in the Fukein Province. Very good for focus and concentration so it conditions from the mental perspective. Physically it conditions the grip, forearms, shoulders, chest, lats and abs. Done in Sanchin stance (as noted in the pic) it conditions the legs.

D

Deleted member 32980

Do you have a video? And you kept referring it to early and then you just said 1900 that's not early.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was exaggerating when I said that lifting will make a person look like Arnold. Some people might be able to get that big with enough lifting but much of it is genetics, you have to be born with the proper genes to ever hope to get as big as a Mr America contestant no matter how much lifting you do. Lifting will certainly make you stronger and you will but on size and definition but as for getting super big like those guys in the muscle contests, part of that has to be natural.

Sure, genetics certainly plays a big part of it. As for those guys in the contests...it's certainly a bit more than genetics though. I highly doubt that anyone can look like that, without taking steroids.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you have a video? And you kept referring it to early and then you just said 1900 that's not early.

I think you could re-read what KSD has written, what he says makes sense, that it have been used in China for centuries but was brought from there by Uechi Kanbun Sensei in the first years of the 1900s.

Latest Discussions