Training logs?

W

Wmarden

How many of you keep a training log? And how do you write down what training you did?

I am familiar with weight training logs, but that is so much simpler to write down than a whole series of techniques. Even a shooting log is fairly easy to write, I shot this many rounds from this distance with that accuracy.

I am trying to be serious and keep a training log so that I can keep track of all my various training aspects(shooting, weightlifting, conditioning, martial arts training, nutrition, etc), but the logging of martial arts stuff has me stumped a little. Especially on stuff I do on my own.

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't do a training log, per se, but I do keep extensive notes. For example, after our last sparring session, I wrote a bunch of stuff on the successful entries I used, and the effectiveness of targets my instructors hit.

Cthulhu

OP
C

Chuck

I was keeping a training log. I haven't been lately. I used to keep it simple. When I do forms (katas) id them all, 3 times each, unless i catch an error and then I do it again. For weight training I just put down the exercise, weight, number of sets and reps per set. If I am doing pull ups and push ups I just put down (body weight).

I really used it to keep motivatied record improvement. I need to start it up again.

I tried to keep it on a computer, but the coomputer is upstairs and I train in the basement. (So nobody sees how bad I am.)

OP
O

ob2c

I'm like cthulu, in a way. I don't keep a regular training log, but I keep extensive notes on each technique. These include:
*A detailed, thorough description of the base technique.
*Variations, modifications, and what ifs.
*Technique flow.
*Principles of motion and power.
*What the technique teaches.
*What different attacks or situations this techniqe could deal with.
*Similar techniques, and the subtle differences that make one a better choice in a given situation.
*Opponents autonomic responses, probable dammage or effects this technique will cause.
*Anything else pertinent or helpful.

As I progress in the art, my notes on each technique tend to grow longer as I go back and rework even the begining techniques. It still amazes me how many layers there are to "Delayed Sword", the first technique we are taught.

DAC..florida

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I dont keep a "training log " either but I do keep notes to keep from covering the same things over and over we keep the notes at the dojo so other instructors do not cover the same things either plus we have verbal communication to prevent repeat training, this is a must!!!!!!!!!!!!

:xwing:

dearnis.com

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I keep a simple log of hours trained, who was there, and what we did. It also helps me keep my head on straightt as I teach in 3 different facilities....

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Our "Log" is a note-taking form we have in our training Binders. It consists of a page with a Date and Current Rank Heading,
A breakdown of the types of attack defended against, the type of attack we do, and the technique used. Then there is a section for "technical" notes and "kecture", and a section for thoughts, ideas, etc... relating to the lesson learned.

OP
V

vincefuess

Rob Broad has one of the best ideas I ever heard as far as training with paper goes- he keeps all his Kenpo techniques on file cards, which he shuffles daily and removes cards at random. The techniques on those cards he practices that day. That is perhaps one of the most kickass training/ review methods I have ever heard of. It combines the elements of the unknown with the elements of the mundane (oh no- not THAT one again!), but it will keep you sharp.

OP
W

Wmarden

Thanks, especially for that last link.

I have a notebook, 5 sections. In the first section is more my thought, philosophy, or goal section. Has stuff like "A warrior is first and foremost a servant" and the general outline for my shooting goals among others. That section is not the part that has given me trouble. It is the more detailed log book in the second section that is a bit tougher to get what I want down, but I think i have a better direction now. The ideas here have helped some.