Which training philosophy do you adhere to? “All out” or “Marathon”?

OP
Zombocalypse

Zombocalypse

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Uhh that and the human growth hormones that got Mendes and others as well, banned.

What about off season recovery?

I have zero plans for off-season recovery. I haven't thought that far yet.

But since you mentioned it, I recognize how important off-season recovery could be. I remember getting knee pains because of my rigorous squat training. I think that a week off every 3 months would be good. But I can't just leave the gym be. I still have to maintain training. Lower intensity or volume, but still active. I learned the hard way how incredibly easy it is to lose your strength if you become even just slightly lazy.

Honestly, I don't really do periodization. I try to go full blast on the intensity and volume all year long. I still have variety though. But even then, my workouts look almost identical to each other all the time.

The biggest danger to this type of training are overuse injuries. I hope to God I don't get injured.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score

But since you mentioned it, I recognize how important off-season recovery could be. I remember getting knee pains because of my rigorous squat training. I think that a week off every 3 months would be good. But I can't just leave the gym be. I still have to maintain training. Lower intensity or volume, but still active. I learned the hard way how incredibly easy it is to lose your strength if you become even just slightly lazy.

Honestly, I don't really do periodization. I try to go full blast on the intensity and volume all year long. I still have variety though. But even then, my workouts look almost identical to each other all the time.

The biggest danger to this type of training are overuse injuries. I hope to God I don't get injured.
Ok...so you do realize you have to have a recovery period and to look toward next year and the years beyond. The Marathon becomes more important don't you think?

OP
Zombocalypse

Zombocalypse

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Ok...so you do realize you have to have a recovery period and to look toward next year and the years beyond. The Marathon becomes more important don't you think?

Yes. I recognize that.

My ultimate lifetime goal is to become the strongest 70-year old in history. In the closing chapters of Doug Hepburn's autobiography, he presented a challenge to all 70+ year old people to beat his lifting records at that ripe old age. One of them is a 400-pound squat. I can see myself breaking that record just fine. I have a gift for squatting. I can do it. And to be able to do it, I need to think long term and train safely.

Of course, one of the challenge's conditions is to be lifetime drug-free, which I am...

Discussing about these things get my juices going. Now I wanna get Tudor Bompa's book about periodization. I heard it's good stuff.

Here's my plan right now... Get my squat up to 600 pounds, and then retire with Doug Hepburn's relaxing training program. At that point in time, I'll do my best to maintain as much strength as I can until I hit age 70. I'm not even sure if I'll be alive before that time comes, but hey, I love a good challenge. lol. Gotta stay healthy overall on top of getting strong...

By the way, Danny T, what kind of strength and conditioning program are you in right now? Or do you even do one at all?

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes. I recognize that.

My ultimate lifetime goal is to become the strongest 70-year old in history. In the closing chapters of Doug Hepburn's autobiography, he presented a challenge to all 70+ year old people to beat his lifting records at that ripe old age. One of them is a 400-pound squat. I can see myself breaking that record just fine. I have a gift for squatting. I can do it. And to be able to do it, I need to think long term and train safely.

Of course, one of the challenge's conditions is to be lifetime drug-free, which I am...

Discussing about these things get my juices going. Now I wanna get Tudor Bompa's book about periodization. I heard it's good stuff.

Here's my plan right now... Get my squat up to 600 pounds, and then retire with Doug Hepburn's relaxing training program. At that point in time, I'll do my best to maintain as much strength as I can until I hit age 70. I'm not even sure if I'll be alive before that time comes, but hey, I love a good challenge. lol. Gotta stay healthy overall on top of getting strong...

By the way, Danny T, what kind of strength and conditioning program are you in right now? Or do you even do one at all?
I'm knocking on 63 getting close to your 70 goal. Do a lot of cardio, 5 days a week and strength 3 days on top of teaching and training up to 3 Muay Thai, 2 BJJ, 2 Submission Wrestling, 3 Wing Chun, 3 Kali, classes a week plus 4 hours of personal training. In all honesty I can not work at 90-100% and do all these. I'm 5'7" weight 165-170 lbs. bench 300, dead lift 350. Both of my knees have had total replacements so I don't do any more. Only squats I do is with medicine balls and kettle bells.

OP
Zombocalypse

Zombocalypse

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I'm knocking on 63 getting close to your 70 goal. Do a lot of cardio, 5 days a week and strength 3 days on top of teaching and training up to 3 Muay Thai, 2 BJJ, 2 Submission Wrestling, 3 Wing Chun, 3 Kali, classes a week plus 4 hours of personal training. In all honesty I can not work at 90-100% and do all these. I'm 5'7" weight 165-170 lbs. bench 300, dead lift 350. Both of my knees have had total replacements so I don't do any more. Only squats I do is with medicine balls and kettle bells.

Dude... Are you telling me that you have a 300-pound bench press at age 63??? That's really REALLY impressive.

Hepburn specialized at pressing strength. He had a nearly 600-pound bench press in his physical prime. If you want, I can check my book right now and see how much he did at age 70. Give me a second...

I just got done checking. His bench press at age 70 was 300 pounds. You're not far away from him.

EDIT: I'm not 100% sure if he had "nearly 600" pounds in the bench press. But I'm 100% positive that it was at the very least 500 pounds.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Dude... Are you telling me that you have a 300-pound bench press at age 63??? That's really REALLY impressive.

Hepburn specialized at pressing strength. He had a nearly 600-pound bench press in his physical prime. If you want, I can check my book right now and see how much he did at age 70. Give me a second...

I just got done checking. His bench press at age 70 was 300 pounds. You're not far away from him.

EDIT: I'm not 100% sure if he had "nearly 600" pounds in the bench press. But I'm 100% positive that it was at the very least 500 pounds.
I generally work 250 jump up to 275 a few times a month and do a max of 300 once or twice a month.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

If you don't give it rest, your body will make you take a break. You might want to plan for a recovery. Rather than force your body to impose one on you.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm more of a "marathon" guy. I'm 53 years old, I've been training for 36 years, and I want to still be training when I'm 80.

That said, if you want to get to the highest levels of performance, you need some serious volume and intensity in your training. No one gets to be a champion fighter by training 3 hours per week, no matter how many years they spend at it.

I typically train on average about 10-12 hours over 4-5 days per week. Some times it's less (this last month I've been down with bronchitis and haven't been training much) and sometimes it's more. I think the most I've ever done in a week is about 20 hours. Between my work, my family, my other interests, my health, and my general level of motivation, 10-12 hours per week is about what I can consistently maintain in the long term.

"Consistently maintain" are the key words there. I have friends who have put in longer, harder hours of training than I have and managed greater accomplishments as a result. One of them is a two-time world champion pro boxer. However some of these folks have abused their bodies enough in the process that they can no longer train as consistently as I do, even though they are younger than I am. That's the trade-off they made. I'm making a different one.

Latest Discussions