Training in public

ChingChuan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Do you practise / train in public? Why do you do it? Have you ever had bad experiences while training (like people behaving agressively etc)? Do ever you feel 'ashamed' or 'watched' while training?

And if you don't want to train in public, why don't you do it?

(With training in public I mean training in a park or a beach or some other place where everyone can see you.)

I'm posting this because I'll go on holiday tomorrow and I'm fairly sure that there won't be enough space to train in the cottage so I was wondering what people think about it.

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
Do you practise / train in public? Why do you do it? Have you ever had bad experiences while training (like people behaving agressively etc)? Do ever you feel 'ashamed' or 'watched' while training?

(With training in public I mean training in a park or a beach or some other place where everyone can see you.)

I'm posting this because I'll go on holiday tomorrow and I'm fairly sure that there won't be enough space to train in the cottage so I was wondering what people think about it.

I think I would be too alert to my surroundings to give the level of attention necessary to derive any value from it. The self-monitor process (am I attracting attention? am I acting strangely?) would take up way too much CPU time.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
No I don't train in pubic..Don't want to tip my hand, if you take my meaning...You never know who's watching..

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In my old Lau gar days, then yes, my friends and I used to train outside - but that was on University grounds so less likely to draw general comment I suppose.

Nowadays, given that my art involves waving katana around, then, no - I've an aversion to getting shot!

----------------------

That's a reference to an incident that occurred just down the road from where I lived a year or two ago, where a poor mentally disturbed chap was killed by the police for brandishing a wallhanger in the street.

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
We've trained forms and one steps at the beach on the sand and in the water to get a different feel. The water resistance was pretty interesting to work in.

Sometimes one of the blackbelts will hold and extra classes at the local township park for anyone that is interested.

No bad experiences from this, other than me feeling a little self-conscious about it. That's my problem though, and I am getting over it.

geocad

Green Belt
Reaction score
For me, it depends on what I was practicing. I used to practice forms at the University pool. Only my head was sticking out of the water. At the same pool, I used to practice my flip falls into the pool from the edge. Nobody seemed to care. I guess I just looked like some goof ball playing in the water.

On the other hand, once my instructor took us out to the grass to conduct class. I didn't enjoy this class because it drew a large crowd of people staring and wispering. In addition, I got grass stains on my gi.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
For me I love training outside and no 99.9999999 percent of the time I have never been bothered by anyone. The other times people were generally interested in what we were doing.

Langenschwert

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Do you practise / train in public? Why do you do it?

Yup. It's nice to have lots of room and fresh air.

Have you ever had bad experiences while training (like people behaving agressively etc)? Do ever you feel 'ashamed' or 'watched' while training?

Nope. We even train with steel blades in public and nobody even says boo. Sometimes we get a "Hey look! Swords!" but that's it.

Best regards,

-Mark

OP
C

ChingChuan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
No I don't train in pubic..Don't want to tip my hand, if you take my meaning...You never know who's watching..

Yes, I was worrying a little bit about that... I mean what if people get violent or something... I'm not too good at Pencak Silat yet so I am not really confident of my abilities, so to say. However, since I'm not really good at it, I feel that I've got to practise (my instructor also said it to me) and the only place I will be able to practise will be somewhere in public :(.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Have you ever had bad experiences while training (like people behaving aggressively
when I lived in the city my apt. was so small that I did not have room to even do my forms correctly so I would at times go to a nearby school and use their yard as a practice area for forms (when school was out). And yes, there where a couple of times when some of the local youth decided to watch and then challenge. Usually my response was "sorry I am way out of shape and practice and would not do well as a training partner at this time". Those words may not have been true but they worked, even if some of the group of youths knew my practice habits and reputation. Many times these youths only really wanted to try their skills against a martial arts student, at other times they really just wanted a chance to beat someone up, as It was enough of the local youths knew me and respected me for many reasons so I was not truly challenged to a fight often
Practicing in a public area has the disadvantage of bringing notice to you

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, I was worrying a little bit about that... I mean what if people get violent or something... I'm not too good at Pencak Silat yet so I am not really confident of my abilities, so to say. However, since I'm not really good at it, I feel that I've got to practise (my instructor also said it to me) and the only place I will be able to practise will be somewhere in public :(.
I've trained in public areas plenty. (But not where I work... See Drac's post.)

I mind my own business & other folks mind theirs. But I've had some good conversations with folks as a result, too. Generally, I look for a semi-secluded location to train, though... It's just easier.

One more thing... If challenged, I use an answer like tshadowchaser's... "I'm not very good; I don't know that much... There'd be no point in it!" or fall back on "My teacher doesn't want me doing that unless he's there to correct it... and I don't want him mad at me!"

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

There have been many times I've trained outside. Those areas have consisted of backyards, front yards and a garage. Out in public view, not not a public place per se, such as a park. Has anyone bothered me? Not at all. In a largely populated place, I'd probably avoid that, for reasons that have already been mentioned. :) Am I ashamed of my training? Not at all, but unfortunately, there are too many people who are more interested in causing problems, than asking sincere questions.

Mike

whitedragon_48

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I train outdoors regularly at the park with a select few of my students. I haven't had any problems. Some times people might look from a distance but otherwise we do not draw much attention. Long time ago I had a few times where a couple of kids might have walked by and challenged me I just said: "Good, bring it, I can always use a warm up!" They usually walked off, usually...

ArmorOfGod

Senior Master
Reaction score
I prefer outdoor training. If fact, last week, I took my class outside to train on the grass. It was a beautiful day and was a lot of fun.
Almost every one of my best martial arts memories involve me in a tshirt, New Balance sneakers, and cotton workout pants.

On this note, a few years back, I started an online group called the Backyard Martial Arts Association, which was for anyone who trained outdoors or out of their garages. It garnered a few members, but died out. I cancelled the board and the dot com that I bought for it.

AoG

fJCtheone

White Belt
Reaction score
I typically train outside, in a public place most of the time. I've never had a problem, but I do keep alert to what is going on around me.

Christina05

Green Belt
Reaction score
I like training outside I never had a problem with it. I think its beneficial actually gives you a diffrent feel kinda like training in jeans. The way I see it is your never going to get in a serious fight in a dojo or in your Gi. So use the out doors as a tool.

Latest Discussions