Training in public

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Do you practise / train in public?

Yes, every Saturday.

Why do you do it?
Cheap place to train. Fresh air and connection to nature.

Have you ever had bad experiences while training (like people behaving agressively etc)?
Never. Actually once we were training, and it was me and another student and he had me under control with an arm bar or something (I really don't remember) and an older lady was walking the path about 20 yards away and called over and asked if we needed for her to call the police. :rofl: We both busted up laughing. That is the only time I have had anything happen. Most of the time people do their own thing and we do ours.

Do ever you feel 'ashamed' or 'watched' while training?
No. Although I don't go out of my way to be VISIBLE in the park. I am not trying to show off what I am doing, I am just training.

charyuop

Black Belt
Reaction score
I usually practice in my backyard, planty of room and a big tree to torture with my Jo.
But when it is hot I use my lunch hour (I work overnight, so lunch is around 2 am) to go to the parking lot towards the side of the building where less people pass by to practice Tai Chi.
Ashamed? Well I admit yes I am. I tend to stop when I see a car passing by or a co-worker walking to go out for lunch. I stop and pretend I enjoy the nice night...of course I might look an idiot coz most of the time it is in the middle of a movement so I stop with my legs spread open or my hands in a striking posture hee hee.

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
No I don't train in pubic..Don't want to tip my hand, if you take my meaning...You never know who's watching..

Sneaky devil. :D

Sukerkin said:
Nowadays, given that my art involves waving katana around, then, no - I've an aversion to getting shot!

But you're passing up a beautiful opportunity to practice your Bulletproof Monk moves. :shooter:

avm247

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
In the warmer months, I train at lunch in the part, practing forms and other solo drills with sticks (solo baston, doble baston, bankaw, sibat...just about everything).

Never been bothered.

But I did have some cops stop by after their lunch (they saw me when they went in to eat) and asked about FMA. No big deal.

Before my TKD class (taught in the club house of my HOA), I warm up with some FMA using all the usual weaponry. Been asked about it, but no one has taken me up on the offer to learn the art.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have trained in public (parks & such) if I can't find a private place. I try to be away from everyone because I don't want to bother anyone or to be bothered. Never had a problem.

RED

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Since this post: http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47752

I have started to do patterns at the gym. Some people have inquired as to the style. Some people completely advoid making eye contact. Others just don't give a rats .... So far no issues have come up. After I do a couple patterns I'm pretty relaxed, and focused.

I do patterns at the gym because I don't have the space to really cut loose with patterns at the house. Already kicked the dog twice, and the wall has a size 10 hole in it. :uhyeah:

A couple people have talked to me about the arts they studied as a kid or kick boxing / tae bo classes they are in.

Go ahead and do some things and see if you like it. It can be liberating.

Just my 2 ¥

(no animals where harmed in the making of this post.)

Nyrotic

Green Belt
Reaction score
Me and my friend tried training in public, then the cops told us to knock it off.....so we train in our backyards ^.=.^

Latest Discussions