Working out in Public Parks

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I know this is just a spin-off from another thread, but I wonder how many of you feel comfortable working out singly or in groups in public parks. It's pretty common in my community. For example, I recently attended an open Filipino Martial Arts "gathering" at a downtown park here in Phoenix and we had a great time. A cop did drive by and look us over, but then drove on. Anyway the organizers had the site reserved, we had no prohibited weapons (only trainers) and several members of the groups attending are LEOs in various local jurisdictions.

I also train Eskrima and Wing Chun alone and with other groups at other local parks. You do have people come by and want to talk every so often, and even the occasional Bruce Lee-style kiai shouted from teenagers in the distance... but never any problem. Besides, I feel like I'm making a statement... that MA practice is a normal, acceptable public activity, just like playing basketball or soccer or having a picnic. So until I win the lottery and can outfit my own private kwoon/dojo, I'll be off to the parks when I need some space. Anybody else practice like this?

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
I usually work out in a local park. After my morning run I end up at the park about 5 blocks from my house where I can use the playground apparatus for a body weight workout and calesthenics and work out on the nicely padded rubber floor they use for the entire kiddie area of the park. Usually the guy who's the assistant instructor at the local TKD school shows up and we work otu together which is nice because he never gets to spar with an adult at his daycare in doboks place.

I will say that I prefer to go early so I'm done with my run by at least 6:00 then work out for about an hour. Otherwise it gets really light out and my park is right by the main road and near the bus stop, school bus stop and subway station so you get quite an audience.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I love to work outside in parks. Heck, tomorrow night we will be grappling at a local park in the snow!
icon6.gif

blindsage

Master of Arts
Reaction score
We train in the park all summer long every summer. I like to train outside myself the rest of the year when the weather isn't too cold or wet.

TKDHomeSchooler

Green Belt
Reaction score
We train in the park all summer long every summer. I like to train outside myself the rest of the year when the weather isn't too cold or wet.

My school does the same, and up in to the cold too. Hence the name "Freedom Martial Arts in the Park", it is also a way that the cost is kept fairly low with no overhead of a building. When it gets too cold or too heavy of a rain we have various churches we can rent gym time.

I will admit that it is a cool sight to see a group of 10 - 12 year olds belt testing in the rain (not a heavy rain, mind you), it does my Army heart good :ultracool

We do get on lookers from time to time, also for the fact that our school is comprised 95% of home schoolers. So many times we may get questions as to why the kids aren't in school, etc.

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
We've done Tai Chi at the park and its a great experience.... so many other activities going on, we're just one other one.

If you want to get real looks, try having a group practice on your front yard. The neighbors enjoy it, but we almost had one gawking driver leave the road once.

dosk3n

Green Belt
Reaction score
I dont train in parks but I do train about 4 hours every sunday afternoon down by a river at the quay of our city center, on the jetty. Have lots of people walking by, cycling and jogging but no complaints and no one has even asked what we are doing, even when padded up and sparing. Where I am people seem to much to themselfs and scared to talk to people they dont know.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I occasionally take my students to the public park to practice. Being on ground not a hardwood floor gives a different feel to what they do. Add to that the fact that most of them walk much of the time they need to learn to do things outside in an area they might be in in real life.
Bladed weapon training in the park is discouraged by the local police but we are able to do almost anyting else.
This also tends to attract new students once in a while

masurai

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I offer train with a few guys and girls from my dojo at the local park. it works great for us because the park is in the middle of town and most of us live on the outsides of town, so it provides a nice central meeting place. Plus we like to train on unlevel ground. Also it has lead to our dojo doubling it's membership because people will be walking by and see us and stop and ask us what we are doing, and several decided to join the dojo.

corwin137

White Belt
Reaction score
3-4x a week in a local park here in LA. Full contact, all ranges, with tools and without, and occasionally multiple opponents.

As with all things, the potential drama is largely mitigated by our attitudes and relationships with the neighbors, cops (some of who train with us), and other denizens. We've only had once or twice that we've had to let go of a training partner because of some issue. Mostly just lame stuff- agreeing to work on a specific skill, then hurting someone by not sticking to it, for instance. Most people that stop coming do so simply because we actually hit one another. We work with resistance and full non-cooperation, but not safe to do that unless it's agreed upon. Geez... it's not always safe then, but I digress.

Leaving ego out of it, starting with being nice (Serling forbid) is a pretty good start. The most left-handed thing that occurs is people coming and telling us how to do stuff differently (which is just... weird). Not suggesting we don't need it. Lulz. Most people tend to simply stay away (can't blame 'em really...), or are simply kind and curious.

Anyway. Where I'm going with this is, something we don't often talk about is that I think we ("martial artists", or whatever...) have a responsibility to be more graceful, more responsible, extend ourselves toward being able to "meet" with folks we're not acquainted with and/or different from.

Joab

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
For some reason I have always scared people whenever they viewed me practicing techniques in public, so I only practice in areas where nobody who doesn't know me can see me. It could be because I'm big with lots of muscle.

Flea

Beating you all over those fries!
MT Mentor
Reaction score
This year, we worked outside from April through October. Two moments stand out for me:

The first was creepy. There was a group of punks (as I define by clothes, and their profusion of dogs, drums, and body odor) picnicking nearby. As we warmed up, they started yelling bible verses at us as to why it's not nice to fight. We ignored them. Once class began in earnest, it became "You call that fighting? throw some real punches you ****ing *******!" After our Fearless Leader kindly pointed out that we weren't harassing them, common sense kicked in and they realized it wasn't smart to mess with a bunch of tuff guys (and gal) who were in the process of beating each other up for fun.

The second will probably go down in history as one of our funniest moments ever. We were in the midst of a southern heat wave, doing stretches on the ground. Out of nowhere a woman in a giant SUV floored the brakes screaming IM A NURSE!! IM A NURSE!!! She did a 90 degree turn onto the grass and drove over to us ... all the way past the basketball court, the playground, the volleyball net, and the picnic area. We're all watching this quizzically, not realizing what it's about. Three women jump out with a cooler, shouting is he breathing? Is he conscious? I was the one on the ground so I didn't fully realize what was going on. The guys told me later that I came very close to catching a face full of hot dog-water. Once we explained that no one was in trouble, the women were really angry as if we'd deliberately deceived them.

We're back indoors now, and I rather miss it. :uhyeah:

fyn5000

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I love practicing outside, whether it's in my backyard or in a park. I've practiced form by myself and in groups on the Capitol Campus, at the Capitol Lake, and at the Farmers Market here in Olympia numerous times. Aside from some curious stares nobody ever bothered us. Occasionally, someone will ask a question about what we are doing and when we tell them some want to know where they can learn Taijiquan.

I really enjoyed practicing form by myself at Millersylvania State Park just south of Olympia. I'll walk the trails until I come to an open area under the large fir trees (bordering on being Old Growth in height and diameter) and then practice. It's quiet except for the sounds of birds (especially the calls of the pileated woodpeckers - very distinct) and somewhat shadowy because of the height of the trees. Other people walking the trails just cruise on by, most just smile, some say hello. It's really cool.

fyn

Tensei85

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Here in Mich, we sometimes will practice in the Park when weather permits & we don't have 3' of snow on the ground.

But when I was in San Francisco, in Chinatown we used to practice in the park pretty much all the time it was a nice experience & was the norm as there would be others practicing Hung Kuen, CLF, or generally Taiji & Bagua, an occasional Wing Chun guy/girl as well.

I miss San Fran but Michigan's alright I guess.

Tensei85

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The second will probably go down in history as one of our funniest moments ever. We were in the midst of a southern heat wave, doing stretches on the ground. Out of nowhere a woman in a giant SUV floored the brakes screaming IM A NURSE!! IM A NURSE!!! She did a 90 degree turn onto the grass and drove over to us ... all the way past the basketball court, the playground, the volleyball net, and the picnic area. We're all watching this quizzically, not realizing what it's about. Three women jump out with a cooler, shouting is he breathing? Is he conscious? I was the one on the ground so I didn't fully realize what was going on. The guys told me later that I came very close to catching a face full of hot dog-water.

Actually whats dog-water? Haha, sorry haven't heard that expression before.

Flea

Beating you all over those fries!
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You know, when you have food stored with ice in a cooler long enough that the ice melts and the food starts steeping like teabags. That's hot dog water.

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You know, when you have food stored with ice in a cooler long enough that the ice melts and the food starts steeping like teabags. That's hot dog water.

Everytime I think I know everything, someone, generally a woman, very politely lets me in on something I did not know. Thanks Flea. :asian::asian: