"So, you think you can take me?"

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Last week, during one of my workouts, I had an interesting thing happen. I am working out with my senior student and we are going over a new form. We are in a popular park where I have worked out for years and never had any problems. Suddenly, five boys from ages 14 to 16 come walking up and form a semicircle around us. One of the boys steps forward and is looking at me like he's got something to say.

Finally, I stop what I'm doing and look at him and say, "Are you looking for something?"

He says, "Naw, I'm just wondering what you are doing."

I tell him, "We are practicing karate and I'm teaching a student a kata."

And he says, "So, you think you can take me?"

WTF!!! My jaw hit the ground. I couldn't believe my ears. The kids friends were tense and waiting like I was going to jump up and fight this kid in the park with my gi on. I have never had anyone do this to me in all of my years of practice.

So I say, "What!" and this kid puts his hands on his hips and gives me a smug smile.

I tell him, "Get out of here, boy," and then begin to pack up my stuff to leave.

The boy is surprised that I won't fight him in the park or something so he says, "well, won't you show us some moves?"

I say, "No. You and your friends can leave, I'm done for the day, no thanks to all of you."

With a shrug of his shoulders and flip of his head, he gathered his friends and walked off to a couple of waiting cars, where a few girls were waiting.

Now, I can pretty much guess what was going on, but I'm still a bit mystified that this whole event actually occurred. I thought things like this only occurred in movies. The reality is this, in nearly 20 years of practicing martial arts, with all sorts of outside workouts, I have never ever had a single problem with other people. Most folks are polite and interested and maybe would like a business card or something.

This makes me rethink the whole idea of practicing outside. Have other people had similar experiences? What did you do?

Msby

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I give you kudos for how you handled that. Takes patience. I haven't had an experience quite like that, but I'm willing to bet these guys were trying to show off for the girls at the car... Truth is, us teenage guys sometimes feel the need to "show off" :rofl: (I would like to think that MA training has helped me tone that down a bit) I'm in high school also, and I've had experiences with people coming up to my friends and I while we were practicing in the field and (jokingly) asking about whether we could take them. But you can sense their joke and everyone usually has a laugh about it.
I don't think I would be able to handle your situation as well as you did (being surrounded would put me off a bit)

If you don't mind me asking, where did this happen?

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Never outside, as you describe. but in the Dojo, years back. It seemed, periodically, someone visiting or just passing through would stop in during class, watch for a while, and make some comment. We always had extra Gi's on hand and would invite them to change into a gi and join us. It kind of put them on the spot, and most times they would either walk out or a nice conversation would start. I never had it happen outside except for the occasional car full of guy's driving by, that felt the need to shout something.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It's happened to me before when we train outdoors. I keep a few patio bricks in my bag for this purpose. If anyone gives us a hard time or wants to challenge me, I always offer a breaking challenge myself in turn. Something along the lines of if you can break these two bricks with a single punch, we can spar. I've yet to have someone agree to take me up on it.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Last week, during one of my workouts, I had an interesting thing happen. I am working out with my senior student and we are going over a new form. We are in a popular park where I have worked out for years and never had any problems. Suddenly, five boys from ages 14 to 16 come walking up and form a semicircle around us. One of the boys steps forward and is looking at me like he's got something to say.

Finally, I stop what I'm doing and look at him and say, "Are you looking for something?"

He says, "Naw, I'm just wondering what you are doing."

I tell him, "We are practicing karate and I'm teaching a student a kata."

And he says, "So, you think you can take me?"

WTF!!! My jaw hit the ground. I couldn't believe my ears. The kids friends were tense and waiting like I was going to jump up and fight this kid in the park with my gi on. I have never had anyone do this to me in all of my years of practice.

So I say, "What!" and this kid puts his hands on his hips and gives me a smug smile.

I tell him, "Get out of here, boy," and then begin to pack up my stuff to leave.

The boy is surprised that I won't fight him in the park or something so he says, "well, won't you show us some moves?"

I say, "No. You and your friends can leave, I'm done for the day, no thanks to all of you."

With a shrug of his shoulders and flip of his head, he gathered his friends and walked off to a couple of waiting cars, where a few girls were waiting.

Now, I can pretty much guess what was going on, but I'm still a bit mystified that this whole event actually occurred. I thought things like this only occurred in movies. The reality is this, in nearly 20 years of practicing martial arts, with all sorts of outside workouts, I have never ever had a single problem with other people. Most folks are polite and interested and maybe would like a business card or something.

This makes me rethink the whole idea of practicing outside. Have other people had similar experiences? What did you do?

One of the reasons why I dislike training outside in a public place. My backyard, the front of the house...thats one thing, but too many knuckleheads like you describe, in other places.

To answer your question, no, I've never been in a situation like that, however, I have had people who either find out or know that I train, ask stupid questions, such as the kids did. So, when faced with the, "Think you could take me" question, my reply was simply, "No, probably not." and then went on with my business. The majority of the time, they're expecting the Yes answer, but to their surprise, they don't get it.

Of course, there have also been times while at work, we've put Spike on, and watched TUF or one of the free shows. Joking or not, one guy commented that it was fake fighting. Another co-worker comment that if he thought it was so fake, why not run down to the Lions Den and spar with one of the fighers down there. (We have one of Kens schools here in CT) Needless to say, there was no reply.

fangjian

Black Belt
Reaction score
Sometimes I will train Eskrima outside in a local park. Since we have weapons, I think nobody's going to come over and challenge us. However, there are a decent amount of addicts in my town who come over and have interesting conversations with me.

I have been asked the "You think you can take me?" question quite a few times. Surprisingly it's always at my own school in front of my students. Normally I reply with, "I doubt it". My students are always very amused. My school is also right next door to a rehab center. :)

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I have had that experience on two occasions. Like Fangjian's experience, both were on the grounds where the school was, one in the school itself.

The one in the school involved three young men coming in with one asking if "I could take him."
So I asked him, "Oh, you do kendo?"
"What's kendo" he said.
"We spar with these," I said, holding up a shinai.
"Oh," he said, "never mind." And they left.

I must say, I was amused.:)

A few weeks ago I was walking into class and three kids (anywhere from 15-21) walked past. I was in my gi with my black obi on and one of the kids said, "you black belt?"

I looked down at my belt and said, "Looks like."
To which the inevitable response came, "C'mon man, let's get it on! You think you can beat me?"

I answered, "at what?"
The kid had to think for a moment, and said, "ya know, a fight."

At this point, his friends had that look of 'oh my, our stupid buddy is about to get into some kind of trouble', and one said, "C'mon, let's go."

I laughed politely and said, "I have no beef with you and nothing to prove. Come on in and join the class and we can get you sparring in no time. I have a class to teach, so I have to head on in. Thanks for your interest in our school."

The kid stood there with his mouth open as I turned and went into the building. His buddies were laughing uproariously. "I waved to them collectively and said, "Take it easy," as one would say to their coworkers at the end of the day before going home, and went inside.

Funniest thing that happended all week.:)

Daniel

Stac3y

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I've had teenage boys make comments and try to get a rise out of me when I was practicing outdoors. I just ignored it and they eventually got bored and went about their business. It upset my sons, but I wasn't bothered. Smaller kids will often come up and ask questions--I like that.

I've never had anyone ask if I could take them, though. I suspect that's more likely to happen to men. When my husband was training, we would spar at the park, and we sometimes had a crowd gaping from a safe distance: "Oh my gosh, that man is beating up that woman!" "Er...wait; actually, that woman is beating up that man!" Fun.

zepedawingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score
. . . And he says, "So, you think you can take me?" . . . . and this kid puts his hands on his hips and gives me a smug smile.

I would just say 'are you that stupid that you want to find out?', so it would piss them off to make the first move. When the cops come, I can then say he attacked me and I was forced to defend myself. I was out numbered, him and his 2 buddies, and I felt my life was in danger.

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I would just say 'are you that stupid that you want to find out?', so it would piss them off to make the first move. When the cops come, I can then say he attacked me and I was forced to defend myself. I was out numbered, him and his 2 buddies, and I felt my life was in danger.

LOL! Hillarious!

Oh wait, you weren't being serious, were you?

Nuffries

White Belt
Reaction score
I'm like fangjian and train Arnis(kali/eskrima/etc) in the park behind my house. Never had anyone come up whilst training and ask if I "think I can take them" but friends of friends are always challenging me when they first find out I do martial arts. Most aren't joking around either and seriously want to see if they can prove something or another, to which I say no and offer to demonstrate a few techniques full speed on somebody I trust which usually leaves them staring. :)

The only incident I've really had training in the park is when somebody called the police because they saw my mate and I sparring and thought it was real... :jediduel:

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I hate training in public for that very reason.

Now I teach in a tucked-away corner of a community center - our classroom is the farthest from everything else and has a panel that opens to the kitchen.

The first time my teacher came to visit, a teenage boy somehow struck up a conversation with him and started the "what would you do if I did this?" game. My teacher is a good, kind-hearted man who can read people like nobody's business ... he is 68 and shorter than I. Well, Sa Bum Nim just kept the situation lighthearted and showed the kid a few techniques and kept putting him on the floor ... gently, but on the floor.

Sounds cute ... but it went on for an hour. I stepped out a couple of times and mentioned to him that he probably shouldn't try to beat up little old men - nor prejudge anyone else - and that he may get much more than he bargained for.

The third time I stepped into the hall, he decided to try me. I had already decided that if he were do so that his free martial arts lesson was finished, as far as I was concerned, and that I was going to let him actually try to hit me ... so I would have really good reason to kick his ***. He stopped short, surprised that I didn't do anything, he started to "strike" again, we exchanged a few parries and I shoved him aside about six feet and into a table. He started towards me again and I shoved him into the door. I told him if he wanted to train he'd have to buy a clue and to leave little old men and little old ladies the hell alone. He backed off a bit ... and later proceeded to flirt with my daughter who proceeded to laugh at him and tell him she was not smiling at him but laughing at him getting his butt put on the ground.

We haven't seen him since.

I really don't like moments like that but they seem inevitable.

John, it sounds to me like you handled the situation in a very good way. Kudos.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

Soooo...you're going to egg this person on, to fight you? Seriously???

girlbug2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I've only been practicing MA for four years, all indoor locations at strip malls. On three separate occasions somebody wandered in off the street and asked my sensei "What would you do if..?" in a challenging sort of way.
My karate teacher would reply, "I'd defend myself". That seemed to satisfy them and they walked away.

My krav maga teacher was asked by an obviously homeless man, "What would you do if I pulled a knife on you?" He replied, "I'd pull out my gun and shoot you." (yes he has a permit to carry). The homeless man had no reply to that and went about his business somewhere else.

I dont' think being outside attracts the loonies any more than being inside with a big Karate or Martial Arts sign does.

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
Look him up and down...

Say "yes"...

Then go back to your business.

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I forgot one piece of the conversation. After he asked if I could take him and I responded, he backed up a bit and replied with...

"I don't mean to sound stupid."

My response was, "Well, you do sound stupid."

All in all, they weren't a committed group in regards to a fight, otherwise, my student and I would have had more problems. It was more for show and I think that my attitude, very terse, straight forward, and confident did more to diffuse the situation then anything I said.

With that being said, I can see that sort of attitude as being something that could escalate a more aggressive group.

It's funny how the verbal karate goes sometimes. Just like when the fists start flying, no one approach is going to work all of the time.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Which side would the "law" look at?

Going to jail or getting sue...is a NO win-win sitution....

When people come up to test you? ......best to walk away...invite them to come and join the classes...or don't let them get to you...and turn away...and leave...

those kids/people...acting very stupidly....with NOTHING to prove...and many times..may have hidden weapons/guns...BECAREFULLY HERE..

Aloha, ...over 23,000 people die in America..because there EGO"S get to big....the Gift of FEAR...

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
Practising in public usually brings out the morons. When I work out with my TKD bud we usually meet in our local park at 6:00 and are done by 6:45 so we can run.

Once my friends and I were walking through a park and we saw a gentleman practicing a bo kata and my bud Manny walks up and asked "Can I try that?" I told Manny to leave him alone, he kept asking, breaking the guy's concentration, so I slapped him on the back and dragged him away. He's one fo those guys who thinks he knows martial arts, he's an artist who's worked at Marvel and is an animator on the Ninja Turtles now so in his mind he's amazing.

Latest Discussions