Reputation System Reset Pending...Dec 07

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Agreed - I know that just within the KMA, there have been MANY times that I'm looking for all of the consolidated knowledge on this site on a single topic. It takes me a very long time to find what I'm looking for and is frustrating to do it again if needed.

(by the way, would it be possible to split this discussion out to another thread? Might be a better way to keep track of ideas, suggestions, and volunteers. Although maybe I'm just a touch OCD :) )

I agree a split would be best and let more people see what we are trying to do.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, you got me and KW for starters, Bob! I'm thinking that we can maybe be a little bit more proactive, as they say, in our wiki; that is, we can bring new information to bear on the threads, in the way of commentary/context, instead of waiting passively for it to simply show up as seems to happen with the Wikipedia directors (and as the current Modern Arnis thread makes clear, there seems on occasion to be a lack of expertise amongst those directors where it's most needed...)

I'd possibly be willing to help a bit... if someone can educify me on the Wiki. I've got the very broad strokes of what they are... but that's it. Heck... I didn't even know there was a MT Wiki!

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Wonderful concept with regard to the 'Distilled Wisdom' wiki idea. I'm certainly interested in lending a hand one way or the other on that.

For those that do not think that 'reputation' has any significance in the on-line world then I completely disagree - reputation is the only thing of significance that you have in the on-line world.

We may be talking at crossed dolphins here ... sorry, porpoises ... sorry ... purposes so forgive me if I'm seizing the wrong end of the electronic stick but in our on-line prescence the solitary defining characteristic is what other people think about what we have said. None of the other normal cues that regulate human interaction or status exist due to the medium of the idea exchange.

Eradicate the past and you are destined to repeat it, to re-phrase an old aphorism. (lots of nonsense clipped away, move on, nothing sensible to read here}.

I suppose the key issue is if new members pay any attention to reputation. On a related point, I don't think it's been raised yet but there is the problem of reputation versus what is actually perceived by an individual - I know I have read stuff by people with a fistful of stars to their name and gone {censored} ...

All I can say is that there are people here that I know, like and agree with and there are those that I do not (tho' those on the 'not' side can still surprise me immeasurably :)).

Did I arrive at these distinctions via a persons 'rep' score? I have to be honest and say I did not. I formed my own opinion based on what I read of what they wrote.

Thus, previous polemics on my part notwithstanding, does the reputation system serve a purpose at all?

I admit I'm honoured to have what I have burbled be so well thought of by so many people here (and I really mean that as some peoples comments have brought strong emotions to the fore) but {poignant pause} if the new person to the fora does not understand that a bunch of stars does not mean "Posts a lot" but "Speaks a lot of sense, or at least we think so" then does the system really serve a purpose at all?

Not to point fingers but if so-and-so posts then I'm eager to read what they've said as it'll likely be interesting, accurate or thought provoking. If, on the other hand, so-and-so posts then I know not to bother looking unless I want an argument ROFL. I did not arrive at these distinctions via rep stars.

To finish and just to cloud the issue :)P) it does, however, have to be said that those with a lot of stars to their name tend to fall into the former category than the latter.

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've been looking through the wiki here. There are definately a lot of things in the Martialpedia that aren't replicated on wikipedia - but a lot that are. If this project does go the direction of using the wiki engine that's already in place, a few things. First, there's already a lot out there on wikipedia that can be used. Second and most importantly, we need a way to capitalize on the knowledge on MT as Exile said. Martialpedia is a great thing, but there is nothing in place to integrate it to the posts...links or references. It is a great thing, but there is definately a huge wealth of knowledge to be added, even if that isn't the route we choose to go. So, I would propose that if we use another avenue, there should still be a renewed focus on martialpedia to bring it up to standards.

This is also an opportunity to completely start from scratch with a whole new medium. Not necessarily a wiki, but another combination of the collected site's knowledge. Even just a page with a bunch of links that link back to all of the posts on a particular topic would help. If each topic was then condense and summarized, it would be even better.

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I suppose the key issue is if new members pay any attention to reputation. On a related point, I don't think it's been raised yet but there is the problem of reputation versus what is actually perceived by an individual - I know I have read stuff by people with a fistful of stars to their name and gone {censored} ...

To be completely honest, I had no CLUE what those little green things were for the first month or so that I posted here. I didn't bother to look it up, didn't care enough, didn't notice, whatever it was....but by the time that I decided to look, I already had some.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Folks,

Just a quick note. Lets do our best to keep the discussion in this thread to the rep system. There are other sections that can be used for non rep related stuff.

If a split is desired, any Senior Mod and above can take care of that.

Thanks,

Mike

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Folks,

Just a quick note. Lets do our best to keep the discussion in this thread to the rep system. There are other sections that can be used for non rep related stuff.

Thanks,

Mike
Definitely agree here. Don't want this to be repetitive. :uhyeah:

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Folks,

Thanks,

Mike

Yeah, it might be good at this point if the MT-wiki project discussion were split off, as I think it has some momentum of its own and will I hope gather more as it goes on. I brought it up in the context of rep, and how people might turn their discomfort in the face of the now-imminent rep reset into something energizing, but it probably could do with its own home at this point, given the interest in it. I would do the split myself, but not without authorization! :wink1:

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
(by the way, would it be possible to split this discussion out to another thread? Might be a better way to keep track of ideas, suggestions, and volunteers. Although maybe I'm just a touch OCD :) )
Well, I've always thought you're a little OCD--just kidding dude, Jeez, put the military hardware away. :D

Seriously, I think a split thread where we could continue to foment ideas on Exile's proposal would be great.

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Jeez, NG, you too? :D

Let's just put it this way -- I have had people with FANCY educations tell me, "Be careful with compulsive thinking, but do not worry about obsessive thinking, just be sure that you point it in the right direction!"

:uhyeah:

You would be surprised how many professional folks are diagnosed OCD.

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
Let's just put it this way -- I have had people with FANCY educations tell me, "Be careful with compulsive thinking, but do not worry about obsessive thinking, just be sure that you point it in the right direction!"

:uhyeah:

[/quote]Well, at the risk of pissing off the MT royalty and going OT for just a wee second, if I knew what you just said I would either agree or disagree with you--or not. :idunno: ;)

You would be surprised how many professional folks are diagnosed OCD.
Would not. I work for about half of them. :D

OK, sorry, back ON TOPIC. :asian:

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Reputation system has been reset.
I have a list of the top 1,000 reps as of just prior to the reset. I'll be formatting it and adding it as a static page this week, as well as adding the custom badge for those who had a gold star. I can use a suggestion for a -short- tag phrase to use for it. See existing badges for space limits.

Danke.

Reputation System Changes:

Maximum possible reputation effect is now capped at 50 points, regardless of what your total rep score is. No more Nuclear Rep Blasts.

Posts older than 180 days are no longer eligible for rep.
Posts in locked threads are no longer eligible for rep.
Posts made in Staff areas are no longer eligible for rep.
Posts made in the General Chat sections are only worth 50% now.
Posts made in the Advertising section are no longer eligible for rep.
Posts made in the "Special Projects" areas are no longer eligible for rep.
Posts made in the "Bar & Grill" areas are no longer eligible for rep.

Other changes
Settings

Number of Reputation Ratings to Display : 50
Controls how many ratings to display in the user's control panel.

Number of Reputation Given comments to display : 50
The maximum number of Reputation Given Comments to display in the user cp.

Register Date Factor : 365
For every X number of days, users gain 1 point of reputation-altering power.

Post Count Factor : 1,000
For every X number of posts, users gain 1 point of reputation-altering power.

Reputation Point Factor : 1,000
For every X points of reputation, users gain 1 point of reputation-altering power.

Minimum Post Count : 10
How many posts must a user have before his reputation hits count on others?

Minimum Reputation Count : 10
How much reputation must a user have before his reputation hits count on others?

Daily Reputation Clicks Limit : 40
How many reputation clicks can a user give over each 24 hour period? Administrators are exempt from this limit.

Reputation User Spread : 10
How many different users must you give reputation to before you can hit the same person again? Administrators are exempt from this limit.

Extended Reputation Dark Green Count : 10
The maximum number of dark green pips to display before moving onto the next level.

Extended Reputation Dark Green Value : 100
The value of each dark green pip in the extended reputation display.

Extended Reputation Light Green Count : 10
The maximum number of light green pips to display before moving onto the next level.

Extended Reputation Light Green Value : 500
The value of each light green pip in the extended reputation display.

Extended Reputation Golden Count : 10
The maximum number of golden pips to display before moving onto the next level.

Extended Reputation Gold Value : 1,000
The value of each golden pip in the extended reputation display.

Reputation Delete Time (Seconds) : 600
Time Limit in which users can delete their own reputation comments

JadecloudAlchemist

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Bob can we disable our rep? I find this system to be like Dungeons and Dragon's in which the Dugeon master get's to change the rules when the other kid sneezes :p Anyway can you tell me how to disable my reps.-Thanks

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Jade, go to the UserCP icon in the upper left portion of this screen. Click there. When your UserCP screen pops up look on the left side banner and click on Edit Options. The option to turn off your rep indicator is there.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Maybe we can get Exile to give the eulogy...No better scratch that, with his gift for words we could be here all day, no offense Ex...That being said I am heading over to Lisa's Lounge to drink a toast to the rep systems demise..Anyone care to join me???

Latest Discussions