Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I concur Drac - the light of democracy was estinguished and the drabness of the totalitarian hand besmirched all before our eyes.

Then again, I knew it was an oligarchy when I signed up, so it's no good my complaining about it now when I didn't get my way :). Oddly, I do feel inside like I've been demoted from trusted Leftenant to Spear-Carrier Third Class tho'.

I'll give the new system time to settle but at first glance it's, no pun intended for a change, kind of pointless if I'm reading the above parameters correctly. With my awesome rep power of three I can hand out 'buff's' till doomsday and make not a hair of difference to someones public persona.

Still, I suppose the comments will still count for the people concerned and that's the most important thing.

I'm watching things carefully the next few days to iron out any issues as they come up. As your rep goes up, your power will increase. The max it will go for anyone is half a green dot in 1 hit. 3 points doesn't seem like much, but it all adds up. Interestingly enough, theres 3 people a few points shy of that next green dot.

Letch just gave me some good advice on how we should not allow the change of the rep system to make us feel some intagible loss of worth and that our value to the board is not counted in 'stars' - thank you, good sir :rei:. I would rep you for your words but sadly the Gnomes are still as doughty as ever when it comes to saying "No!" :lol:.

Don't understand?

Why don't we erase all that garbage on my user cp that was left.

Looking into that. I left the old comments as several folks had asked to keep them. I'm checking into a few add-ins to give more options to folks. I can also (theoretically) clean them out on a per-member basis, as long as I don't get swamped with requests.

What is the effect of having Reputation disabled?

If my Rep is disabled, and I note that I approve of a post, does it alter the person's reputation or not?

If my Rep is disabled, and I note that I disapprove of a post, does it alter the poster's reputation or not?

Thank you.

Dunno. Disable your rep and hit me. Lets find out. :)

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Oh well, the stars in the profile are gone, but the Stars of Martial Talk are still here, and that is what counts. Drac, Terry, Exile, Kacey, Shurekin, Letch, and everybody else here who always has good insights and posts.

Hear, hear!

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm watching things carefully the next few days to iron out any issues as they come up.

We didn't expect otherwise, good Captain. We know you didn't come by this change arbitrarily and will be keeping a weather eye out to see how it grows.

Originally Posted by Sukerkin
Letch just gave me some good advice on how we should not allow the change of the rep system to make us feel some intagible loss of worth and that our value to the board is not counted in 'stars' - thank you, good sir :rei:. I would rep you for your words but sadly the Gnomes are still as doughty as ever when it comes to saying "No!" .

Don't understand?

Which bit of my maunderings was even more abstruse than the rest, Bob?

If it's the part about the Rep Gnomes saying "No!", what I mean is that the system wont allow me to rep Letch for his good advice because I haven't spread the love around enough since last I repped him.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was a great ride, folks - but it's healthy to empty your cup and wash it out once in a while. I'm lamenting too, a bit ... but good posters are good posters and they will earn it back. ;)

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Okay, Let's start first with the 'Disapprove' rep. Nothin' personal, of course ;)

And I gave the 'Approve' rep to Exile.

Both while I had my rep disabled ..

Showed up on both. So you can give rep while your display is disabled.

We didn't expect otherwise, good Captain. We know you didn't come by this change arbitrarily and will be keeping a weather eye out to see how it grows.

Originally Posted by Sukerkin
Letch just gave me some good advice on how we should not allow the change of the rep system to make us feel some intagible loss of worth and that our value to the board is not counted in 'stars' - thank you, good sir :rei:. I would rep you for your words but sadly the Gnomes are still as doughty as ever when it comes to saying "No!" .

Which bit of my maunderings was even more abstruse than the rest, Bob?

If it's the part about the Rep Gnomes saying "No!", what I mean is that the system wont allow me to rep Letch for his good advice because I haven't spread the love around enough since last I repped him.

Ah, ok. Gotcha.

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Okay, Let's start first with the 'Disapprove' rep. Nothin' personal, of course ;)

And I gave the 'Approve' rep to Exile.

Both while I had my rep disabled ..

ME, your rep came to me loud and clear—thanks! :asian:—so it looks as though you can still transmit rep....

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So if the comments and feedback are the important thing (as they should be, I think), then you need to check every so often to see if anyone had anything to say to you via the rep system...

Visiting User CP is always the first thing I do whenever I log in.

I don't know if this says that I'm empathetic and keen to hear what my fellows think or that I'm a raging narcissist basking in the glow of internet fora :lol:. I hope the former but I wont deny the warmth of fellow feeling I get when someone has something kind to say about my babblings.

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Showed up on both. So you can give rep while your display is disabled.
Okay, now ... I have a problem with that. If a person doesn't want to play the game then it should be an all-or-nothing system, IMNSHO. If you're going to participate then people should be able to see your rep display - if you're not going to show it to anyone else then you shouldn't have the power to influence other peoples' rep.

Sorry, but it's an integrity thing for me.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Okay, now ... I have a problem with that. If a person doesn't want to play the game then it should be an all-or-nothing system, IMNSHO. If you're going to participate then people should be able to see your rep display - if you're not going to show it to anyone else then you shouldn't have the power to influence other peoples' rep.

Is this something that can be disabled? If you're going to disable rep, you shouldn't be able to affect the rep of others.

Agreed

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Is this something that can be disabled? If you're going to disable rep, you shouldn't be able to affect the rep of others.

Me too... or four... but I agree, it's an integrity issue. If you don't want to play, then fine - but it should go both ways.

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ok, the archiver I was looking at isn't compatable with this version of vb. I'll check again later for an alternate solution.

There's no easy way I can see to stop someone with dsabled rep from repping. I'm sure a work around can be setup, but nothing can stop someone from reenabling it, dinging someone, then turning it back off again.

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That's a tough one.

I concur that everyone we know here will play by the unwritten rules and not bunker down behind the Rep Disabled shield whilst popping out to batter others for the 'fun' of it.

What to do if someone comes along who wont do that is more problematic - I guess all anyone can do who falls foul of such an event is do what we all should do if the circumstance requires a response - hit the RTM button.

Oh, and as aside, Bob, huge kudos for assigning yourself "Rep Power = 0" :sensei rei:.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I didn't know it was 'playing'. Why wouldn't you want comments from whomever felt compelled to give them? To my mind disabling the display of something that still accumulates--their rep. is noted and stored, right?--isn't such a big deal.

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
Visiting User CP is always the first thing I do whenever I log in.

I don't know if this says that I'm empathetic and keen to hear what my fellows think or that I'm a raging narcissist basking in the glow of internet fora :lol:. I hope the former but I wont deny the warmth of fellow feeling I get when someone has something kind to say about my babblings.

Maybe there's another lesson in this entire process ..... reps mean a lot to some folks and we could all be more diligent in handing out the congrats.

In the past I often figured that, if somebody already had more stars than the Walk of Fame, what difference if I took the time to add something? Now, with the discussions, one can see a little more clearly why it is worthwhile.

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I didn't know it was 'playing'. Why wouldn't you want comments from whomever felt compelled to give them? To my mind disabling the display of something that still accumulates--their rep. is noted and stored, right?--isn't such a big deal.
It's a "can't stand the heat get of the kitchen" kinda thing or "good for the goose, good for the gander" or "don't dish out what you're not willing to take" kinda thing.

Those boys who called me a whore in high school got a good laugh and enjoyed themselves immensely ... but when someone looked at them wrong they freaked and started swinging. Get my drift?

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It's like colored belts, those that care the most deserve it the least.

You can also still rep people that have it turned off, it's not a one way thing. The only difference is there current score isn't broadcast to everyone. Apart from that the same rules apply.

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That's a tough one.

I concur that everyone we know here will play by the unwritten rules and not bunker down behind the Rep Disabled shield whilst popping out to batter others for the 'fun' of it.

What to do if someone comes along who wont do that is more problematic - I guess all anyone can do who falls foul of such an event is do what we all should do if the circumstance requires a response - hit the RTM button.

Oh, and as aside, Bob, huge kudos for assigning yourself "Rep Power = 0" :sensei rei:.
Actually, that's cuz I haven't removed some test reps yet, lol. Course, I compensated by giving myself a spiffy new usertitle, lol!

The interesting side effect is, I'm repping folks again. Haven't done much in about a year or so I think.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It's a "can't stand the heat get of the kitchen" kinda thing or "good for the goose, good for the gander" or "don't dish out what you're not willing to take" kinda thing.

Those boys who called me a whore in high school got a good laugh and enjoyed themselves immensely ... but when someone looked at them wrong they freaked and started swinging. Get my drift?
Yeah... I think it's called..uh...wait...umm... don't tell me... hip...no, hip-hoc..?... no...uhh...oh yeah... Hypocracy.

Funny thing... rep changes were made (today.. dec 1st) ... and the title says dec 7th or is that what I'm not reading?

Ennyhoo, I do appreciate the fact that in the UserCP all the neat, nice stuff said to me by folks that gave me all of my 6 stars (I managed to get that far before the changes) are still there for me to read... gives me a warm fuzzy...ya know?

Latest Discussions